Olympus OM-D E-M5, E-M1, E-M10 - Mk1, Mk2 & Mk3 Owners Thread

Couple more of Symonds Yat - on a different day, the clouds were lovely ! EM1 mk 3 and 8-25

52249169728_fae02cfcb8_h.jpg

52249154741_c4d1f58e0a_h.jpg

Olympus 20mm f1.4 Pro - anyone got one or tried one? I was thinking about it instead of the Pan 20mm 1.7 but was disappointed to see it doesn't support in-camera focus stacking (why??) so the cheaper option may be just as good for my needs.

Can't hurt to try. Go to the cashback site, put the details in and see what happens.

Hey guys I recently bought an Olympus lens from Amazon, would this be covered by their cash back scheme? Nothing relevant on Amazon but I just saw this post and wondered?

.... Not all Olympus lenses are included in their Summer Cashback scheme.

If the lens you want is included then the Amazon sales page will say so. Amazon are a retailer approved by Olympus and therefore warranties etc are valid.

.... Not all Olympus lenses are included in their Summer Cashback scheme.

If the lens you want is included then the Amazon sales page will say so. Amazon are a retailer approved by Olympus and therefore warranties etc are valid.
It's a bit unclear these days what shops are valid. If you read the T's and C's it says this

Screenshot 2022-07-29 at 19.02.11.png

The fact it says is says "at" and not "from" an authorised OM digital solutions dealer suggests to me that it has to be bought at a physical store, however I can't see that being right in this day and age so feel it's bad wording. I've searched high and low and I cannot find a list of authorised retailers, the link takes you to a dealer locator but that doesn't appear to work for me, plus you have to search by area and not shop so you can't actually search to see if amazon is included. I don't know why they aren't more transparent, every other manufacturer I've looked in to have always made it clear where you can buy from for the offer to stand.

With things like this and what Fuji Dave's been through it does make me worry about OM Solutions compared to Olympus.

It's a bit unclear these days what shops are valid. If you read the T's and C's it says this

View attachment 362043

The fact it says is says "at" and not "from" an authorised OM digital solutions dealer suggests to me that it has to be bought at a physical store, however I can't see that being right in this day and age so feel it's bad wording. I've searched high and low and I cannot find a list of authorised retailers, the link takes you to a dealer locator but that doesn't appear to work for me, plus you have to search by area and not shop so you can't actually search to see if amazon is included. I don't know why they aren't more transparent, every other manufacturer I've looked in to have always made it clear where you can buy from for the offer to stand.

With things like this and what Fuji Dave's been through it does make me worry about OM Solutions compared to Olympus.
.... I recently had a phone chat with OM Customer Support to specifically ask them about Amazon being a valid retailer because the OMDS Online Shop were out of stock but Amazon could supply me the next day (which they did). Amazon are valid. The product wasn't part of the 2022 Summer Cashback scheme anyway.

Regarding Summer Cashback it's really simple - Any retailer that is able to offer it has it very clearly stated on their product page < It's a valuable marketing aid for their sales. If it's not stated then a cashback is not on offer through them.

.... I see that the 8-25mm worm is still in your brain! :ROFLMAO: It's not necessarily an everyday lens and probably not used as often as the 12-40mm F/2.8 PRO but there are times when it's invaluable. If only OM made a 8-40mm F/4 PRO of similar size. Both of these two images are on the 8-25mm :

BULLEID PACIFIC CREW by Robin Procter, on Flickr

RETURNING THE TOKEN by Robin Procter, on Flickr

Yes, my other filters are Hoya HD and Pro too including a circular polarising.

Was the Cowes PressBoat guy shooting on Olympus too?
Sorry for delay in responding. Yes, I think it was probably the original EM1, as I had an EM5ii at the time. It was a while ago!

The 8-25 worm is still there and cash back ends soon. I keep reminding myself that I haven’t used my 9-18 much. I took it out the other day and really enjoyed it - which didn’t help :rolleyes: When you need it, I can see the 8-25 works well. Mantra…. I don’t need it, I don’t need it….:ROFLMAO:

.... I recently had a phone chat with OM Customer Support to specifically ask them about Amazon being a valid retailer because the OMDS Online Shop were out of stock but Amazon could supply me the next day (which they did). Amazon are valid. The product wasn't part of the 2022 Summer Cashback scheme anyway.

Regarding Summer Cashback it's really simple - Any retailer that is able to offer it has it very clearly stated on their product page < It's a valuable marketing aid for their sales. If it's not stated then a cashback is not on offer through them.
Thanks, good to know. I would prefer it if OM systems made it clearer themselves though, just seems odd to me (y)

Sorry for delay in responding. Yes, I think it was probably the original EM1, as I had an EM5ii at the time. It was a while ago!

The 8-25 worm is still there and cash back ends soon. I keep reminding myself that I haven’t used my 9-18 much. I took it out the other day and really enjoyed it - which didn’t help :rolleyes: When you need it, I can see the 8-25 works well. Mantra…. I don’t need it, I don’t need it….:ROFLMAO:
I recently bought the 8-25. I have the 7-14 f/2.8 also.
The 7-14 is a great lens but it's very prone to flare (at least for the type of shooting I do with it) and needs a specific filter solution - which adds cost and inconvenience.
I suspect that I'll be putting the 7-14 up for sale before too long as the 8-25 seems like a really good quality lens and is much more useable.
I do think I'll hang onto the 12-40 though.

Doesn’t seem a bad price ?
.... It's very good value when compared with buying both the OM-1 body and this lens new. BUT, the buyer will only have 12 months retailer's warranty at best, compared with 5 years with Olympus OMS. However, if someone is limited on their budget it's probably worth it.

I was just comparing it to some grey importers having stock at more than UK retail price
Yeah grey prices have been all over the place for a while now :oops: :$

I recently bought the 8-25. I have the 7-14 f/2.8 also.
The 7-14 is a great lens but it's very prone to flare (at least for the type of shooting I do with it) and needs a specific filter solution - which adds cost and inconvenience.
I suspect that I'll be putting the 7-14 up for sale before too long as the 8-25 seems like a really good quality lens and is much more useable.
I do think I'll hang onto the 12-40 though.
.... Several of the 'better' reviews online said the same when comparing the 7-14mm with the 8-25mm F/4 PRO.

I have the 8-25mm and love it but, like you, I'm keeping my 12-40mm F/2.8 PRO which will probably get used fractionally more often but there are times when that extra wide 8mm is needed and it's easy to carry both lenses - Attention @Bebop look away!!! :

RETURNING THE TOKEN by Robin Procter, on Flickr

BULLEID PACIFIC CREW by Robin Procter, on Flickr

A SPECIAL CREW FOR A SPECIAL ENGINE! by Robin Procter, on Flickr

And me, snapped on my Olympus TG-6 TOUGH pocket camera :

THE BULLEID FRATERNITY OF THE KNOTTED HANDKERCHIEF by Robin Procter, on Flickr

Last edited:
After all that the lens isn’t part of the promotion! Thanks anyway.
?
I assume you are referring to the Olympus 75-300mm? It's not typical of a lens offered on cashback which are usually higher priced ones and hence there is room for a cashback scheme.

If you are registered with Olympus OMS you'll receive regular emails informing you about special deals on purchases. IIRC the 75-300mm was offered at a reduced price once upon a time.

Thanks, good to know. I would prefer it if OM systems made it clearer themselves though, just seems odd to me (y)
.... Even before OMDS appeared on the scene and restructured what was the Olympus Camera Division, the Olympus websites were rather convoluted to navigate to find out anything specific. Whether OMDS will improve navigation or not I don't know but I do know (and have a lot of faith in them) that they are wanting to improve all they can across everything - These things take time to do properly.

At the risk of being called a fanboy I have to say that too many photographers were far too quick to jump to negative conclusions and start ill-founded speculative rumours. Instead of the camera division being part of Olympus microscope business as it used to be, cameras are now OMDS. It's simply a restructure and many of the Olympus employees are now OMDS. Tut-tut, people too afraid of change, eh? In the longer term we can all expect changes very much for the better and especially in product development.

Last edited:
Robin in your special crew shot , there’s a funny distortion on on the left hand side of the image it all looks excessively large .i know they have large wheels and running gear but not that huge ?

?
I assume you are referring to the Olympus 75-300mm? It's not typical of a lens offered on cashback which are usually higher priced ones and hence there is room for a cashback scheme.

If you are registered with Olympus OMS you'll receive regular emails informing you about special deals on purchases. IIRC the 75-300mm was offered at a reduced price once upon a time.
According to the OM site the 75-300mm has £85 cash back (y) I know I'm considering buying one, although would prefer a 2nd hand one off of here :)

Robin in your special crew shot , there’s a funny distortion on on the left hand side of the image it all looks excessively large .i know they have large wheels and running gear but not that huge ?
Isn’t it just because it’s been shot with an UWA?

Isn’t it just because it’s been shot with an UWA?
.... There is of course some wide angle distortion on a 8-25mm depending how you compose the Z-axis when shooting but the second image below is on my 12-40mm on a different day.

The driving wheels on a West Country Class Bulleid pacific are 6ft 2ins diameter. The general public only usually see locomotives from the height of a station platform and don't appreciate their size and scale.

BULLEID BANTER! by Robin Procter, on Flickr

^ ^ ^ 8-25mm @ 11mm (22mm equivalent)

MINOR MAINTENANCE by Robin Procter, on Flickr

^ ^ ^ 12-40mm @ 12mm (24mm equivalent)

Last edited:
nice set of shots robin

Ive done more testing of the IS whilst videoing on the OM1. This time a direct comparison to the GH5 and Pany 100-400mm at 400mm.
Ive come to the conclusion you can get usable handheld video with the OM-1 and Oly 100-400mm if you turn off the IS in body completely and leave the Lens to do the IS.
You can see in my video here the issue with micro jerks in the OM1 at 1:03

IS video comparison

And then you can see that at 1:46 that the OM1 using lens IS only and then in post stabiliser, then the footage is quite usable for youtube.
At the end of the video I do a side by side comparison to the GH5 and its ok.
I just wish I did all this testing and found that workaround before I had a weeks holiday in Kent. oh well.

Ill also pass on what I've found to Olympus as surely they can sort the jerking out and get the body to work nicely whilst using their own lens. It just needs to not clash imo.

?

40-150 F4 pro

Last edited:
Ive done more testing of the IS whilst videoing on the OM1. This time a direct comparison to the GH5 and Pany 100-400mm at 400mm.
Ive come to the conclusion you can get usable handheld video with the OM-1 and Oly 100-400mm if you turn off the IS in body completely and leave the Lens to do the IS.
You can see in my video here the issue with micro jerks in the OM1 at 1:03

IS video comparison

And then you can see that at 1:46 that the OM1 using lens IS only and then in post stabiliser, then the footage is quite usable for youtube.
At the end of the video I do a side by side comparison to the GH5 and its ok.
I just wish I did all this testing and found that workaround before I had a weeks holiday in Kent. oh well.

Ill also pass on what I've found to Olympus as surely they can sort the jerking out and get the body to work nicely whilst using their own lens. It just needs to not clash imo.
That’s pretty well the standard for using that lens , Olympus pre OMS always stated that I.b.I.s does not work on the 100-400 there is no full synch with it . So you have to use the lens i.s and TBH it works very well indeed

That’s pretty well the standard for using that lens , Olympus pre OMS always stated that I.b.I.s does not work on the 100-400 there is no full synch with it . So you have to use the lens i.s and TBH it works very well indeed

Is that for photographs as well as video?

Is that for photographs as well as video?
.... If any lens, in this case the Olympus 100-400mm, does not support IBIS then it makes no difference what you shoot with it - Stills or video. IS is IS.

I never shoot video so I can't comment whether this presents a potential limitation or not but Olympus OMS are top dog when it comes to IS plus/or IBIS - The other brands are playing catch-up.

On Olympus OMS a lens IS is very good indeed but when it's able to be combined with IBIS it is excellent - A step up regarding image stabilisation overall. You tend to get what you pay for.

.... If any lens, in this case the Olympus 100-400mm, does not support IBIS then it makes no difference what you shoot with it - Stills or video. IS is IS.

I never shoot video so I can't comment whether this presents a potential limitation or not but Olympus OMS are top dog when it comes to IS plus/or IBIS - The other brands are playing catch-up.

On Olympus OMS a lens IS is very good indeed but when it's able to be combined with IBIS it is excellent - A step up regarding image stabilisation overall. You tend to get what you pay for.
Thanks for this. I was under the impression that IBIS did work on this but not all 5 axis and that the lens provided 2 elements and IBIS Dealt with the rest, I must have misread/misunderstood….

Thanks for this. I was under the impression that IBIS did work on this but not all 5 axis and that the lens provided 2 elements and IBIS Dealt with the rest, I must have misread/misunderstood….
.... Not necessarily misunderstood. On the OM-1 for example, according to the Instruction Manual there are differences in the behaviour of image stabilisation between shooting stills and video (which I never shoot) but these apply to IBIS. It's the ability of a lens to Sync with it or not which may have an effect. The original question was about the Olympus 100-400mm (which is unable to Sync with IBIS).

It's best that someone reads the Instruction Manual for their camera body to understand the detail and how it does or doesn't limit what they want to achieve.

Last edited:
.... Not necessarily misunderstood. On the OM-1 for example, according to the Instruction Manual there are differences in the behaviour of image stabilisation between shooting stills and video (which I never shoot) but these apply to IBIS. It's the ability of a lens to Sync with it or not which may have an effect. The original question was about the Olympus 100-400mm (which is unable to Sync with IBIS).

It's best that someone reads the Instruction Manual for their camera body to understand the detail and how it does or doesn't limit what they want to achieve.

I was aware that the question was about the 100-400. That is the lens I am interested in knowing about use of IBIS and lens OS. There is a lot of conflicting advice regarding whether to turn on or off IBIS when using this lens and use the lens IS only. The following two videos show the use of both with good results.

View: https://youtu.be/oYU46aHQoSo

View: https://youtu.be/k8NN7etVXZY

The second is by Gavin Hoey who I believe is an Olympus Ambassador.

Other users on various forums state success with both still switched on. Or indeed one or other turned off.

Is the requirement to use the lens OS simply for the OM-1?

Last edited:
Back