Olympus OM-D E-M5, E-M1, E-M10 - Mk1, Mk2 & Mk3 Owners Thread

:agree:
I am with Trevor on this one, the second image is the one IMO that just 'works'.

TFS:)
I third that (y)
I spent a few days at Bempton cliffs this week and was fortunate to be able to capture puffins, gannets and even an albatrross.
puffins by Gordon Ford, on Flickr
Puffin by Gordon Ford, on Flickr
Albatross by Gordon Ford, on Flickr
Gannet by Gordon Ford, on Flickr
gannet by Gordon Ford, on Flickr
gannets by Gordon Ford, on Flickr
Superb, not only were you lucky to see the albatros (I wouldn't have known what it was either ;)) but to get the Puffins so close is a real privilege (y)

.... I have owned and shot thousands of images on both these lenses on E-M1X and also with MC-14 or MC-20 mounted. Both offer good results with MC-14 mounted but I can't get enthusiastic about using the MC-20 on the Olympus 100-400mm. The MC-20 works extremely well on the 40-150mm F/2.8 PRO though!

The image quality is superior on the 300mm F/4 PRO to the Olympus 100-400mm, also the build quality is noticeably superior. BUT, a zoom can have big advantages depending what subjects you target. The 300mm AF is faster although the 100-400mm is not a slouch.

High-end zoom lenses are just as good as primes nowadays as technology has advanced but I would describe the Olympus 100-400mm as a very good value for money zoom which isn't high end, as its price reflects.

I sold them both to help buy the 150-400mm TC PRO which is stellar!

The above is just my opinion and Jeff @the black fox gets excellent results from the 100-400mm.

Here are examples of some of my images on the Olympus 100-400mm : https://www.flickr.com/photos/114775606@N07/albums/72157715959375717

I hope this helps.
Many thanks Robin for your input. I found when I’m at RSPB sites etc….I expect 95% of the images I take are at the 400mm end, so thinking I wouldn’t lose out too much on the zoom aspect.
Just had a look at your bird images…..very impressive.
I also have seen, and been in awe, at Jeff’s images…..he certainly makes the 100-400 sing. I just don’t come close to them with mine. I even had Jeff on the phone who gave me his settings…but to no avail.
I suspect I’ll try opening my wallet soon and go for it

I third that (y)

Superb, not only were you lucky to see the albatros (I wouldn't have known what it was either ;)) but to get the Puffins so close is a real privilege (y)
The puffins weren't as close as I had hoped. The shots are with th 300mm f4 plus 1.4 TC and the enlarged a fair bit. I had planned to go to Skomer Island the week before to photograph them at close range but at 10pm the night before the ferry company emailed to say that all boats were cancelled due to a forecast of a northerly wind which meant they couldn't land. Pure luck I checked my email as I was due to set off at 4AM for the 250mile journey!

Never been to Bempton.,
Your images are excellent
Thank you. RSPB Bempton is a fair trek from my home in Hampshire but I wanted to give my new Motorhome a try. I stayed at a campsite called Wold farm which has direct access to the cliffs and only about a 30 minute walk from the RSPB site. The puffins were better from the cliffs near the campsite than at the RSPB site but I am sure thats not always the case. The Gannets were everywhere in their hundreds! There were also a few razorbills.
The best bit is a pub I went to for dinner with an amazing pie menu, that alone was worth the trip!

Attachments

• 20220713_125630.jpg
    20220713_125630.jpg
    157.6 KB · Views: 18
Thank you. RSPB Bempton is a fair trek from my home in Hampshire but I wanted to give my new Motorhome a try. I stayed at a campsite called Wold farm which has direct access to the cliffs and only about a 30 minute walk from the RSPB site. The puffins were better from the cliffs near the campsite than at the RSPB site but I am sure thats not always the case. The Gannets were everywhere in their hundreds! There were also a few razorbills.
The best bit is a pub I went to for dinner with an amazing pie menu, that alone was worth the trip!
When I went the Puffins weren't close to the RSPB site really, on 600mm FF and 1;1 crop they still looked pretty small :( Like always with wildlife you need that bit of luck (y)

When I went the Puffins weren't close to the RSPB site really, on 600mm FF and 1;1 crop they still looked pretty small :( Like always with wildlife you need that bit of luck (y)
.... Puffins only come on land for a short period of a couple of months just to breed. Otherwise they live out on the sea.

I’ve always found it’s better for puffins between north shore landing and flamborough lighthouse for puffins as the cliffs tend to be more porous sand and soil for there burrows . Leading to one dramatic day when I found a load and laid down to take them and the wife thought I’d fallen off the cliff oops moment

@Fuji Dave - did you have problems wrt your IBAN number in claiming cashback from OM Systems recently? If so, how did you resolve it?

Cheers,

Simon.

Thay have the right IBAN number, but sadly I'm still waiting for over £300 in cashback plus my free 45mm lens.

Thay have the right IBAN number, but sadly I'm still waiting for over £300 in cashback plus my free 45mm lens.
.... I received my £175 Summer Cashback within 15 days as advertised and expected.

I’ve given them the correct IBAN, but they’ve emailed me telling me it’s wrong. Is that what initially happened to you? If so, did you contact someone else about it to get them to accept it?

I’ve given them the correct IBAN, but they’ve emailed me telling me it’s wrong. Is that what initially happened to you? If so, did you contact someone else about it to get them to accept it?
After they messed up saying it was the wrong IBAN I wrote it down took a photo of it and sent that, they then said YES it is now correct. They really are a shambles to me about this. They even gave me a 20% code to use off my next purchase, but deleted that as won't buy anymore from them again.

Sorry to bring it back to wildlife.... Lying on my couch today :giggle: , I snapped these and I must say I am really impressed with the 'squirrel' detect on the OM1. The running one is at 1/2000s and I think with my EM1iii, it would have been very hard. I think the autofocus is actually more responsive on the OM1. Exposure was a little over for the first two (I quickly grabbed the camera and turned it on as I saw the squirrel run towards me) and then I dialled in some compensation.

Processed in Capture One. I need to have a look at them in Photolab, as I'm not sure these colours are great.

20220717-O7170152-C1.jpg20220717-O7170154-C1.jpg20220717-O7170164-C1.jpg

Love that first one. To my eyes it's actually a little bit over-exposed which should be easy to deal with if correct. I'm not so keen on photos of squirrels (or birds) at bird feeders, although the animals poses are both great.
Completely agree about the feeders, and it is a bit over exposed. The squirrel was in shade and the background in sun so it probably needs a bit of careful processing but hopefully will get something better another day where the squirrel is in better light.
The autofocus is impressive. I can’t wait until I’m more mobile to try it out more.

Edit: Actually I’m talking rubbish. I think the squirrel is just backlit, not in shade and the background is brighter - very pale dry grass at the minute! His tail is almost burnt out

Last edited:
Completely agree about the feeders, and it is a bit over exposed. The squirrel was in shade and the background in sun so it probably needs a bit of careful processing but hopefully will get something better another day where the squirrel is in better light.
The autofocus is impressive. I can’t wait until I’m more mobile to try it out more.

Edit: Actually I’m talking rubbish. I think the squirrel is just backlit, not in shade and the background is brighter - very pale dry grass at the minute! His tail is almost burnt out
.... When in Capture One 2022, try sliding the Highlight to the left to a minus value in the High Dynamic Range palette.

It's a super shot! I'm not a feeder fan but hey, it's a Red Squirrel (unless your White Balance colours are waaay off!!) :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
The Isle of Wight thankfully has no grey tree rats Robin . And like brown sea island is a safe haven for our native red squirrels

Just got back from picking up my new glasses, sadly YET another email asking for my IBAN so sent that along with yet another photo of it. Sadly I don't think these people will honour the cashback.

Just got back from picking up my new glasses, sadly YET another email asking for my IBAN so sent that along with yet another photo of it. Sadly I don't think these people will honour the cashback.
I'm sure they will, many of the deals require a minimum of 28 days to elapse before payment.
Never had a cashback offer not honoured, but some have taken a fair old while.

I'm sure they will, many of the deals require a minimum of 28 days to elapse before payment.
Never had a cashback offer not honoured, but some have taken a fair old while.

Cheers for that Rich, it must be about 6 times now they have asked, I have told them I know my bank details like the back of my hand. So I do hope to get all my cashback once they sort their mess out.

FISHING IN THE SHALLOWS by Robin Procter, on Flickr

Shot on my everyday wildlife rig but view on Flickr for more info.

Handheld at about 1800mm equivalent focal length - I am still in love with this lens after a year.

Last edited:

I don’t think the first is overexposed tbh, the squirrel is the subject and looks to be exposed correctly to me. Of course the background is brighter but that’s the way it would be naturally (y)

I don’t think the first is overexposed tbh, the squirrel is the subject and looks to be exposed correctly to me. Of course the background is brighter but that’s the way it would be naturally (y)
.... @Bebop :agree: - But there might still be room for a minor tweak to the Highlight in Capture One as I described earlier. IIRC you always shoot RAW and this is where it can really help!

After they messed up saying it was the wrong IBAN I wrote it down took a photo of it and sent that, they then said YES it is now correct. They really are a shambles to me about this. They even gave me a 20% code to use off my next purchase, but deleted that as won't buy anymore from them again.
That’s a shame Dave. I think that does show their good will. They are trying and 20% is generous!

I have used their cash back previously and never had a problem. If there is a problem accepting the iban I would get back in touch with the guy from the first time around.

That’s a shame Dave. I think that does show their good will. They are trying and 20% is generous!

I have used their cash back previously and never had a problem. If there is a problem accepting the iban I would get back in touch with the guy from the first time around.

I hope the photo of my iban works again, I know my bank details like the back of my hand so will just have to wait it out till they sort this mess out. I deleted the 20% code as won't buy anymore olympus stuff.

Same set up as above.

Friends by Rohan, on Flickr

.... Oh dear! Well they look happy and that's what's important. The camera and these particular portraits are catching all the reality of these rather IMVHO unattractive people.

I hope the photo of my iban works again, I know my bank details like the back of my hand so will just have to wait it out till they sort this mess out. I deleted the 20% code as won't buy anymore olympus stuff.
.... That's up to you of course but do you not think you may be over reacting? This could happen with any camera brand. Don't Think Negative because it invariably attracts more negatives. Relax and enjoy what you've got and the cashback will arrive as a nice bonus when it's ready.

.... @Bebop :agree: - But there might still be room for a minor tweak to the Highlight in Capture One as I described earlier. IIRC you always shoot RAW and this is where it can really help!
Thanks Robin. I only ever shoot RAW. I must have another look at it. I don’t think I noticed the tail before. I may have already tweaked some of the settings - I did on the feeder one.

I know it might sound awful, but I see the squirrels so often, that I am a bit blasé about them, and find it hard to spend much time on shots of them. We think there are 4 currently, including a cute baby, and they are in and out all day.

I’m going a bit stir crazy now - hopefully a trip out tomorrow, in the heat… :mad: I’m not angry, but likely to be hot! :D

.... That's up to you of course but do you not think you may be over reacting? This could happen with any camera brand. Don't Think Negative because it invariably attracts more negatives. Relax and enjoy what you've got and the cashback will arrive as a nice bonus when it's ready.

IMO I don't think I'm over reacting as they have asked many times for the iban number, and each time it has been the correct one as I know my bank number like the back of my hand. I have enough lenses to keep me happy now with the camera hence why I deleted the code.

The camera and these particular portraits are catching all the reality of these rather IMVHO unattractive people.
They look like normal everyday people to me, none the less I'm sure they are beautiful on the inside :)

Back