Olympus OM-D E-M5, E-M1, E-M10 - Mk1, Mk2 & Mk3 Owners Thread

As many of you will know (and can see from my Sig below), I've been a happy user of Micro four thirds for over a decade now and it's a great system with some very high tech bodies and some superb lenses. However......

Now first, this isn't a micro four thirds bashing exercise at all, (as like I say, having used the system for so long know, I feel I have a decent understand of it's strengths and weaknesses). I am finding myself more and more lately questioning the relevance and price point of the system (new) in 2024, and would like to know other peoples thoughts. This all started a few months ago when I wanted a better camera for video, but also wanted something still small and light. After a lot of debate I purchased a Sony A6700. Yes, I know it's got a few issues (which I'll come on to later), but suddenly I had a camera much smaller and lighter than my OM-1 (even with lenses), that had an APS-C sized 26MP sensor, could shoot 4K full width up to 60p and 4k 120 (with an additional 1.5 crop) all of these in 10 bit 422 colour space. And the AF of the Sony and AI subject recognition is simply awesome and the resultant videos are just sublime - and to me at least, put the ones from the OM-1 to shame. I know video isn't something everyone shoots, but it's becoming more and more part of what I shoot these days (I'd hazard I now shoot more video that stills).

Now, the A6700 is much cheaper (up to half the price grey market) but for a reason. Whilst it's Sony's flagship APS-C body, and has a great sensor and state of the art AF (from the A7R V), it's not without it's issues. Low res viewfinder and rear screen, only 1 card slot, no AF joystick and inferior IBIS to M4/3 bodies. But it got me thinking, if you look at something like the A7RV full frame body which is a 61mp FF sensor, it still shoots 26mp in APS-C mode, and has everything (and more) that the A6700 is missing in a body that's only fractionally larger than the OM-1, and weighing only just over 100g more, and costing (grey at least) only about £500 more than the £2100 OMS want for the OM-1 (obviously this varies depending on where you purchase your equipment), then are bodies like that starting to really stretch micro four thirds ?

There are things about M4/3 that we all know and love that the FF bodies don't have (yet), i.e. great IBIS, sometimes (though not always) smaller and lighter lenses, their speed (FPS etc), pro-capture in Raw, Live ND, Live Time , Live ND, Live Grad ND etc, but with FF and APS-C bodies getting smaller along with some of the lenses, it makes me wonder how long M4/3 can survive as primarily a Wildlife and action speciality system ? I'd love M4/3 to be around still in 10 years from now, but OMS (if I'm honest) don't inspire me with confidence that they will survive the FF onslaught.

I have to say that honestly, since getting my Sony APS-C system, (and obviously having an extensive Nikon Z FF system) I haven't picked up my Olympus system in over 2 months now, and I don't really feel I'm missing that much anymore ?

Thoughts of the group please ?

Anyone using the Ollie 3 legged thing L bracket and got any thoughts? They're about to release a new version with a QD attachment but the biggest change I can see is that they've removed the ability for the L to be extended when in landscape mode?

As many of you will know (and can see from my Sig below), I've been a happy user of Micro four thirds for over a decade now and it's a great system with some very high tech bodies and some superb lenses. However......

Now first, this isn't a micro four thirds bashing exercise at all, (as like I say, having used the system for so long know, I feel I have a decent understand of it's strengths and weaknesses). I am finding myself more and more lately questioning the relevance and price point of the system (new) in 2024, and would like to know other peoples thoughts. This all started a few months ago when I wanted a better camera for video, but also wanted something still small and light. After a lot of debate I purchased a Sony A6700. Yes, I know it's got a few issues (which I'll come on to later), but suddenly I had a camera much smaller and lighter than my OM-1 (even with lenses), that had an APS-C sized 26MP sensor, could shoot 4K full width up to 60p and 4k 120 (with an additional 1.5 crop) all of these in 10 bit 422 colour space. And the AF of the Sony and AI subject recognition is simply awesome and the resultant videos are just sublime - and to me at least, put the ones from the OM-1 to shame. I know video isn't something everyone shoots, but it's becoming more and more part of what I shoot these days (I'd hazard I now shoot more video that stills).

Now, the A6700 is much cheaper (up to half the price grey market) but for a reason. Whilst it's Sony's flagship APS-C body, and has a great sensor and state of the art AF (from the A7R V), it's not without it's issues. Low res viewfinder and rear screen, only 1 card slot, no AF joystick and inferior IBIS to M4/3 bodies. But it got me thinking, if you look at something like the A7RV full frame body which is a 61mp FF sensor, it still shoots 26mp in APS-C mode, and has everything (and more) that the A6700 is missing in a body that's only fractionally larger than the OM-1, and weighing only just over 100g more, and costing (grey at least) only about £500 more than the £2100 OMS want for the OM-1 (obviously this varies depending on where you purchase your equipment), then are bodies like that starting to really stretch micro four thirds ?

There are things about M4/3 that we all know and love that the FF bodies don't have (yet), i.e. great IBIS, sometimes (though not always) smaller and lighter lenses, their speed (FPS etc), pro-capture in Raw, Live ND, Live Time , Live ND, Live Grad ND etc, but with FF and APS-C bodies getting smaller along with some of the lenses, it makes me wonder how long M4/3 can survive as primarily a Wildlife and action speciality system ? I'd love M4/3 to be around still in 10 years from now, but OMS (if I'm honest) don't inspire me with confidence that they will survive the FF onslaught.

I have to say that honestly, since getting my Sony APS-C system, (and obviously having an extensive Nikon Z FF system) I haven't picked up my Olympus system in over 2 months now, and I don't really feel I'm missing that much anymore ?

Thoughts of the group please ?

I know what you mean. I feel that, while it's very important to have a flagship, m43 should be about portable fun.

The Pen series is under appreciated, and really needs a new body imo.

Most of us don't need the all singing, all dancing om1. I love my ep7. I'd love it quite a bit more if the spec sheet was in line with the e-m1 mark ii or mark iii. Phase detect af, more computational stuff but in a pen series camera. Yummy.

Don't give me insane bird tracking, but snappy phase af and basic tracking, plus some of the focus stacking live ND type stuff would sell well in a compact body. I think. Maybe.

Anyone using the Ollie 3 legged thing L bracket and got any thoughts? They're about to release a new version with a QD attachment but the biggest change I can see is that they've removed the ability for the L to be extended when in landscape mode?

What I did in the end was adapt my EM1 mk2 L plate, or rather a friend did it for me, and it works fine. I much prefer an L plate that covers the whole of the bottom of the camera body because it doesn't fall over when you put it down on a flat surface.

There's this one as well, it looks a bit better but its still not ideal -

https://leisurephotos.com/2023/07/the-inexpensive-l-bracket-for-om-1.html

There's a long thread here about LPlates for the OM1 -

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4720848

I just can't understand why the cheapo companies don't do an OM1 bracket.

I use the base plate from a “ Elle” L bracket on my OM1 simply as somewhere to attach the right hand camera strap , I don’t like just using the tripod mount to carry my gear and prefer having the straps on the camera lugs …. But found the right hand strap often got in the way of the shutter button and/ or other controls , relegating it to the camera base gives a simple easy solution and it works well

I’ve looked at that Sony cropped body range A6000 series … but I can’t really see any advantage and a few negatives .. even less since getting the OM1 .. not doing enough these days to warrant any more purchases though

I’ve looked at that Sony cropped body range A6000 series … but I can’t really see any advantage and a few negatives .. even less since getting the OM1 .. not doing enough these days to warrant any more purchases though
I think the Olympus Em1 mk3 to the OM's are far nicer cameras than the Sony crops, especially the viewfinder and ergonomics and pre-capture is better than the FF models in my opinion.

woohoo, £350 from the summer cashback into my account overnight! That was a lot quicker than the quoted 30 working days :banana:
Ooooh! I will have check my account :)

Did you get a notification email that prompted you to check receipt of it?

Nope, was at Morrisons car wash and it wouldnt accept one of my cards so had to move some money in my app and spotted it!

Nope, was at Morrisons car wash and it wouldnt accept one of my cards so had to move some money in my app and spotted it!
Just checked my account and turns out I received mine on the 26th July....I missed seeing it previously :headbang: :facepalm: but :D

Does anyone know if the Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm f/4.0 ASPH. Lens work on my Olympus om d mkiii.I am looking for a wide angle lens for landscape pix and MPB have some used at a reasonable price.

Just got the email to say they are processing it lol, hey maybe they'll accidentally send another £350?? :sneaky::sneaky:

Warning to any VAT-registered photographers buying from the OMDS website -

They DO NOT supply VAT invoices for any item although the prices DO include VAT.

I have posted this in the business section as well as it is more likely to be read by professional photographers.

When I asked for a VAT invoice they referred me to their T&C's (all 4 pages of small print) which states the following -

"For the avoidance of doubt, our Online Store is dedicated to consumers. If you are a business, please note that we do not issue VAT invoices to customers purchasing through our Online B2C Store; therefore, as a business, you will not be able to claim the VAT back."

The T&C's also state the following -

"The price of a product shown on the website is understood as including value-added tax but excluding shipping costs, bank and credit card charges (if nothing further has been stated).

The price stated on the order confirmation is the final price and includes all taxes (including value-added tax). This price includes the price of the product plus any shipment and dispatch costs, bank fees or charges that are due when paying by credit card."

I just cannot believe how they think they can get away with this.

Warning to any VAT-registered photographers buying from the OMDS website -

They DO NOT supply VAT invoices for any item although the prices DO include VAT.

I have posted this in the business section as well as it is more likely to be read by professional photographers.

When I asked for a VAT invoice they referred me to their T&C's (all 4 pages of small print) which states the following -

"For the avoidance of doubt, our Online Store is dedicated to consumers. If you are a business, please note that we do not issue VAT invoices to customers purchasing through our Online B2C Store; therefore, as a business, you will not be able to claim the VAT back."

The T&C's also state the following -

"The price of a product shown on the website is understood as including value-added tax but excluding shipping costs, bank and credit card charges (if nothing further has been stated).

The price stated on the order confirmation is the final price and includes all taxes (including value-added tax). This price includes the price of the product plus any shipment and dispatch costs, bank fees or charges that are due when paying by credit card."

I just cannot believe how they think they can get away with this.
The Invoices I have received for the purchases from the OM webshop have the price breakdown showing the VAT amount and right at the bottom of the Invoice is the VAT ID as GB number. Is that not a VAT invoice? When I was working and bought fuel the receipts I got were all VAT receipts and the company accountant used those for VAT reclaim purposes AFAIK

The Invoices I have received for the purchases from the OM webshop have the price breakdown showing the VAT amount and right at the bottom of the Invoice is the VAT ID as GB number. Is that not a VAT invoice? When I was working and bought fuel the receipts I got were all VAT receipts and the company accountant used those for VAT reclaim purposes AFAIK

I'm not sure if it strictly speaking is a VAT invoice. My order confirmation had the VAT breakdown on it and at the bottom was the UK VAT number - perhaps that is what you are thinking of? I would use it as evidence if challenged that I had bought the item and claim the VAT back but strictly speaking........

Last edited:
I'm not sure if it strictly speaking is a VAT invoice. My order confirmation had the VAT breakdown on it and at the bottom was the UK VAT number - perhaps that is what you are thinking of? I would use it as evidence if challenged that I had bought the item and claim the VAT back but strictly speaking........
The order confirmation is the first document that they send 'confirming that the order is in process'
You should have received after the order is delivered you should get an email with an attached Invoice......though my most recent purchase that never arrived so requested one which was not IIRC one that showed the VAT breakdown (I will have to look again Edit ~ I have looked at it again and though it shows the VAT breakdown there is no VAT number)

However, if you login to you OM webshop account and look on the orders page you will a link to download the Invoice that should have come with that latter email.

I hope that makes sense :)

PS
I have just logged in and taken a screengrab as you will see there is 'click' link to another page where you can download the Invoice

INVOICE HERE 2024-08-21 122006.jpg

Last edited:
OMDS seem to have so many different websites! If I log into 2 of them and look at "My orders" I just get a reply saying that I haven't ordered anything despite the fact that I've ordered 2 items in the last few weeks! They were both from different departments of OMDS.

I've had 2 emails asking for feedback but no means of giving it. Admin-wise OMDS seem hopeless.

I don't see a post-delivery email from them either.

I've just had another reply from customer services saying "All the purchases in our online store are subject to our Terms & Conditions we appreciate your understanding. " Again!

Thanks for helping to understand what is going on. I do tend to get a bit frantic when something like this happens.

OMDS seem to have so many different websites! If I log into 2 of them and look at "My orders" I just get a reply saying that I haven't ordered anything despite the fact that I've ordered 2 items in the last few weeks! They were both from different departments of OMDS.

I've had 2 emails asking for feedback but no means of giving it. Admin-wise OMDS seem hopeless.

I don't see a post-delivery email from them either.

I've just had another reply from customer services saying "All the purchases in our online store are subject to our Terms & Conditions we appreciate your understanding. " Again!

Thanks for helping to understand what is going on. I do tend to get a bit frantic when something like this happens.
Yes, if you have in effect created different accounts for different purchases that will add to the workload of your finding which account is which.....been there, done that, got the T-shirt back in the Olympus days when the login and reset passwords was completely trashed and I had 2 accounts based on 2 different email addresses!

NB old Olympus accounts though accessible will have no order information as I was given to understand with the transition to OM Systems the orders database was not carried over IIRC :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

Does anyone know if the Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm f/4.0 ASPH. Lens work on my Olympus om d mkiii.I am looking for a wide angle lens for landscape pix and MPB have some used at a reasonable price.

Yes it will but this is a lens that suffers flare and would cause purple blotches on some Olympus cameras I do not know about the latest cameras with this lens and I never owned one.

A discussion here

The Panasonic 8-18mm is superb I had one for years. I now have the Oly 8-25mm the new Oly 9-18mm is probably good the old one was a bit soft round the corners but a really light versatile lens.

Last edited:
Back