Picked up my new camera today....a GF1

Status
Not open for further replies.
They did it with the Leica Digilux 2 and thats not much bigger than the GF!. Thewre was a Panasonic version of the Digilux 2 called the Panasonic Lumix DMC-L1

Digilux 2:
27416leicadigilux2-allround.jpg

Panasonic Lumix DMC-L1:
panny_l1_1-1.jpg

Last edited:
Regarding the lenses, I see there is a lot of love for the 20mm pancake lens. If you were to choose between buying a GF1 with just the 20mm or just the 14-45mm, which would you pick? I know that will depend on what your planned usage is, but for general use does the size of the 20mm encourage you to have the GF1 with you more often than if it was fitted with the 14-45?

They did it with the Leica Digilux 2 and thats not much bigger than the GF!. Thewre was a Panasonic version of the Digilux 2 called the Panasonic Lumix DMC-L1

Digilux 2:
27416leicadigilux2-allround.jpg

Panasonic Lumix DMC-L1:
panny_l1_1-1.jpg

That wasn't an EVF, it was a porro-prism optical finder. However, I think it should be possible to incorporate an EVF. The benefits of being able to angle the hot-shoe EVF should not be overlooked.

Yes looks like they would have to shrink the screen to more like a 3inch ish instead of the 4 or whatever it is on the GF1

It's not so much the size of the 20mm but the speed that makes it so appealing. However, given good light I find myself using the flexibility of the 14-45 much more.

Regarding the lenses, I see there is a lot of love for the 20mm pancake lens. If you were to choose between buying a GF1 with just the 20mm or just the 14-45mm, which would you pick? I know that will depend on what your planned usage is, but for general use does the size of the 20mm encourage you to have the GF1 with you more often than if it was fitted with the 14-45?

I bought just the 20mm as I value the larger aperture for shooting in low light over that of having the greater focal range of the zoom.

The zoom is still a very good lens though - well worth the £130 I paid for mine. In decent light the flexibility is useful for landscape/outdoor stuff. I used it for the above pic.

I had a similar dilemma with my Panasonic/Leica 25/1.4 fourthirds. It is an amazing lens, so sharp, staggeringly so at f2 and still better than 90% of other lenses wide open. However, I traded that and my ZD 12-60 for the 14-35 f2 zoom. The idea was to get something nearly as bright but with the flexibility of the zoom. The 12-60 on its own is amazing, but the 14-35 is like having the quality of the best primes in a zoom lens and at f2 throughout the range (it's big and heavy though). That said, when funds allow, I'll be after getting the 25/1.4 again. The 1.4 is very useful in low light and the bokeh is great.
I have 2 more pressing purchases I'd like to get first, pushing the 25/1.4 back well into next year.

I still wanted a prime for portraiture though. The sigma 50/1.4 looks attractive, but I don't do enough to warrant too much expenditure. I got myself an old OM Zuiko 50/1.4 for £65. A mint late model, the slight softness wide open is actually not unpleasant for portraits.

Andy

Thanks Richie - it was the 14-45

As was this :)

20100312-Lewisfirstday-DalBeag-1-6.jpg

wow, thats a real poster pic there!!

need to pick up some filters now. just dug my old tripod out of the garage(its a gazillion times lighter than my manfroto was) so can start playing with things like that along with trying some proper HDR out.

Meanwhile, here's some cake ;)

4427155999_1ab226d83d.jpg

I had a similar dilemma with my Panasonic/Leica 25/1.4 fourthirds. It is an amazing lens, so sharp, staggeringly so at f2 and still better than 90% of other lenses wide open. However, I traded that and my ZD 12-60 for the 14-35 f2 zoom. The idea was to get something nearly as bright but with the flexibility of the zoom. The 12-60 on its own is amazing, but the 14-35 is like having the quality of the best primes in a zoom lens and at f2 throughout the range (it's big and heavy though). That said, when funds allow, I'll be after getting the 25/1.4 again. The 1.4 is very useful in low light and the bokeh is great.
I have 2 more pressing purchases I'd like to get first, pushing the 25/1.4 back well into next year.

I still wanted a prime for portraiture though. The sigma 50/1.4 looks attractive, but I don't do enough to warrant too much expenditure. I got myself an old OM Zuiko 50/1.4 for £65. A mint late model, the slight softness wide open is actually not unpleasant for portraits.

Andy

I am using a mf Voigtlander 35mm and the results are stunning. Cost me £200.

Andy as the owner of a Digilux 2 for some six years I would suggest that you might never have seen how tiny and truly awful the finder is, the GF1 optional EVF is light years better.True the GF1 isn't that much smaller but with the increase in size of the LCD and the video stuff I don't think there can be a lot of room to spare, in fact roughly the EVF is about 10 % the size of the camera. But I am not a camera designer, it was just a thought.

As for it being a Porro something finder Andy most describe it as ...........

The electronic viewfinder
Despite the Digilux 2’s vague resemblance to a classic rangefinder camera, it is not a rangefinder. The viewfinder is electronic - a TV set behind an eyepiece. It’s jittery and grainy. Not any uglier than other EVF cameras (except the new Konica/Minolta A2 - which is a big leap forward). Better than a videophone broadcast from Baghdad. But if you’re used to the crisp texture of an SLR screen or the brilliant clarity of a good window viewfinder, it’s unlovely.

The Leicas Digilux 2 was a fantastic camera at £1200 in 2003/4 it seemed expensive but during my ownership it has seen off a D100, D70s, D200 and D300.

I find all this talk about adding filters, tripods etc rather odd. I thought the whole reason for buying into the Micro 4/3 was to reduce the clutter. But as somebody who is left completely cold by pictures of surf and bluebell woods why should I care.

I just think that it would be interesting to find out why people chose the GF1 and their photographic interest. And if any, their photographic aspirations?

Me? I refuse to cart around shedloads of stuff, I saw it as a replacement for my beloved film r/f cameras. For years all I carried most of the time was a Leica body with 21mm and 50mm lenses.: Photographic interest ? Candid stuff athough my A.R.P.S. is in Pictorial. Aspiration? I might do the Fellowship thing, something to aim at, don't expect I shall but if I did it would be candid portraiture. Mind you the motivation I feel re photography and life in general might mean St Peter might be my first sitter................or Old Nick.

Brian.

Last edited:
If you really have to choose one I would say the 20mm.

Tried out my new ND 10 stop filter today

20100312-Lewisfirstday-DalBeag-1-1.jpg

Lovely - can you give us details of the filter please?

Yep, the size and speed of the 20/1.7 makes it awesome. Its also really sharp. I can't see myself bothering with the zoom.

I am struggling to justify spending money on the 14-45 (or any other lens for that matter) the 20mm seems just perfect for everything I have wanted so far.

am struggling to justify spending money on the 14-45 (or any other lens for that matter) the 20mm seems just perfect for everything I have wanted so far.

Oh go on Alan, life is too short to spend time worrying about such trivia.

Brian.

I am using a mf Voigtlander 35mm and the results are stunning. Cost me £200.

Can you post some examples including some wide-open shots pls? :thinking:

£5.99 inc. postage from Hong Kong arrived exactly 2 weeks after ordered, and works ok.

Last edited:
I have the money sitting there, I also have a promise to keep that I wouldn't start collecting lenses for the GF1 like I did with the 7D :nono::nono:

Too late for me then! :D

The Leicas Digilux 2 was a fantastic camera at £1200 in 2003/4 it seemed expensive but during my ownership it has seen off a D100, D70s, D200 and D300.

Brian.
What made it such a good camera? I'm thinking of getting one......well i want to replace my Pany TZ6 and found the Digilux 2 on the bay. Seen the image examples on flickr and they look awesome!

Those who enjoy Whistles and Bells read no further.

The Digilux 2 has the same almost indefineable image quality as its film relations. Leica lenses have always been known for their wonderful rendition of colour and the fixed lens on this camera carries on in the same tradition.If you look at some of the Leica forums you will note the affection it's users have for it. Indeed many rushed out to buy it's replacement only to come back in a rush.

The camera is a very ungainly brick, elegant it ain't and with it's fixed lens it's big. But for manual control; it's feels like a mechanical camera. The lens even has click stops at full frame equivalents, full manually set shutter speeds, a proper aperture ring. Wonderful just wonderful Leica ( ? Panasonic) lens 24mm-90mm F2-F2/.4 and sharp? lovers of the 20mm Panny read no further. The Vario Summicron gives you the same as a 12-45 F2-F2.4 on a GF1............the lens most of us are crying out for

The 5Mp !!!, yes 5Mp sensor nailed for ever the Mp myth re more Mp is better, and the colour rendition upheld the long established Leica supremacy..

I've got A3 prints which would make users of 35mm with FP4 drop their jaws in disbelief. We all had sensors blowing up about four years ago but these Sony supplied items were replaced free of charge very promptly. And incidentally Solms refurbished the cameras at the same time.

The downside? Remember it is a 7 year old digital camera which still can outdo in certain respects it's more specified modern replacements but the EVF is terrible, and I mean terrible, the shutter lag isn't bad but it's there and do not try moving the ISO above 100. Also as with the GF1 the software stinks. Bit like a 1960 DB4 against a 2010 Vantage.

I collect cameras and the Leica Digilux " is the only digital camera worth a place in it. It is a digital classic.:clap: In fact I think the car comparison is very apt. The Vantage is a terrific super car but the DB4 delivers a different sort of performance and is no less satisfying . I suppose judging something with the head or the heart comes into it.

Brian

Last edited:
Thanks Brian. Much appreciated. I really need (if i choose with my head) a small camera so as much as i would love to own a Digilux 2 i think i will wait until i have enough money that i can buy one just for the hell of it!

What bags do people use or recommend for a GF1 i quite like the Crumpler Top Muffin but not sure what size i should go for.

At moment it's for a GF1 with 14-45mm and probably like a size where i can leave it attached and have room for an extra lens or two in the future

What bags do people use or recommend for a GF1 i quite like the Crumpler Top Muffin but not sure what size i should go for.

At moment it's for a GF1 with 14-45mm and probably like a size where i can leave it attached and have room for an extra lens or two in the future

I've just bought the Crumper Muffin Top 5500, it's a great bag. I have the GF1, 7-14mm, 20mm, 14-45mm and 45-20mm and the EVF plus a spare battery and a wired remoteand it all fits with room to spare for an iPhone, charger and lens pen. I'm really pleased with the bag and will post a pic soon.

Last edited:
I've just bought the Crumper Muffin Top 5500, it's a great bag. I have the GF1, 7-14mm, 20mm, 14-45mm and 45-20mm and the EVF plus a spare battery and a wired remote and it all fits with room to spare for an iPhone, charger and lens pen. I'm really pleased with the bag and will post a pic soon.

I wonder who thinks up these names?

Brian.

Drooling perverts... I have to express my irritation at 'what bag should I have' threads.

1. A bag is a bag
2. Sometimes you need to carry lots of things. Use a large bag, or maybe two smaller ones
3. You can go to a shop and try a bag. It doesn't need to be tested extensively and need lots of graphs to help you decide
4. They are not that expensive and it is really quite an achievement to get a bag that really won't do what it is meant to do.

:razz:

Drooling perverts... I have to express my irritation at 'what bag should I have' threads.

1. A bag is a bag
2. Sometimes you need to carry lots of things. Use a large bag, or maybe two smaller ones
3. You can go to a shop and try a bag. It doesn't need to be tested extensively and need lots of graphs to help you decide
4. They are not that expensive and it is really quite an achievement to get a bag that really won't do what it is meant to do.

Well, I have to say I really disagree with your post. A bag most certainly is not a bag if you can't fit what you want into it and why should you buy more than one?

It isn't always possible to go into a shop to see if the kit you want to carry will fit.

From my point of view, a sensible review of a particular bag can save pounds wasted buying the wrong thing, no matter how stupid the name of the item.

Well, I have to say I really disagree with your post. A bag most certainly is not a bag if you can't fit what you want into it and why should you buy more than one?

It isn't always possible to go into a shop to see if the kit you want to carry will fit.

From my point of view, a sensible review of a particular bag can save pounds wasted buying the wrong thing, no matter how stupid the name of the item.

You can see the dimensions of a bag with all of its compartments in a review. What I don't quite understand is why folk have to ask people with different kit from them whether their kit will fit in a bag!

So far as one bag or two or three or whatever... Sometimes I go out, and I might want to carry several lenses and a load of other stuff. I don't want to use that (inevitably larger) bag if I don't need to carry one lens when I only need to carry one lens.

1. A bag is a bag

I'm sorry :) For irritatting you. Not many places locally have the Crumplers so i can't test I know i want a Crumpler Top Muffin but was trying to gauge which size works.

And maybe your loaded with money but last thing i want to do is buy one bag only to have to buy another 10 mins latter.

I've just bought the Crumper Muffin Top 5500, it's a great bag. I have the GF1, 7-14mm, 20mm, 14-45mm and 45-20mm and the EVF plus a spare battery and a wired remoteand it all fits with room to spare for an iPhone, charger and lens pen. I'm really pleased with the bag and will post a pic soon.

Gleen Thanks for your quick response it helps me in that i know i don't want a crumpler 5500

Seems my question rubbed up people the wrong way yeah i'll get my laser guided measuring tape just to make sure it wil fit the dimensions mentioned.

See you all won't be posting in this thread again

I'm not trying to be rubbed up the wrong way, and my post came across as more irritated than I am. I just don't quite get what you can't get from reading a review or the website as to the dimensions of the bag. Your post was actually fine - a quick question, easily resolved. As opposed to quite a few threads with 10s of replies about how big a bag is...

Sorry for any offence caused...

I'm not trying to be rubbed up the wrong way, and my post came across as more irritated than I am. I just don't quite get what you can't get from reading a review or the website as to the dimensions of the bag. Your post was actually fine - a quick question, easily resolved. As opposed to quite a few threads with 10s of replies about how big a bag is...

Sorry for any offence caused...

Oh no the party is having a row - not bad after 56 pages :LOL::LOL:

Gleen Thanks for your quick response it helps me in that i know i don't want a crumpler 5500

Seems my question rubbed up people the wrong way yeah i'll get my laser guided measuring tape just to make sure it wil fit the dimensions mentioned.

See you all won't be posting in this thread again

[subliminal on]Come over to GF-One Nadeem[subliminal off]

Last edited:
It really should be late at night, with lots of pushing and shoving and after a lot of alcohol has been drunk.. None of this has happened and I haven't had an alcoholic drink in 3 years...

Saw a guy a few years ago in Salford. He had a large very black camera complete with a length of white drainpipe hanging from his neck A rucksack the proportions of which would have challenged a Billingsgate porter was strapped to his back with 4" wide webbing.. Slung around his rather ample non-waist a wide belt to which was attached two bags of rather dubious shape Following as if on pilgrimage his wife bearing a very heavy looking tripod with a head whose complications looked most challenging. The pair of them looked as if they were on the way to Calvary.

A serious photographer I suppose, well if not his poor wife sure as hell looked angry, and very sweaty.

My wife looked across the table at the outside coffee house pointed a finger and said " Don't get any ideas sunshine".

No problem, the only thing I ever carry is a Debit Card, and sometimes a camera slung under my left armpit.

Previously someone mentioned 4.5lbs as the weight of his GF1 oufit, carting that around isn't my idea of fun.

I've always think it a funny fact that Oskar Barnack invented the 35mm camera as we know it to avoid lugging around bags of gear and tripods etc . And the " serious" photographer has just added more and more "must have with me" bits. Wouldn't surprise me if our friend mentioned above had a digital changing bag somewhere about his person.

Mind you " Crumpler Top Muffin" I don't believe I could bring myself to ask for one and keeping a straight face. Where would you get one, Starbucks.

Brian.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back