Picked up my new camera today....a GF1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Video with the 20mm is not great without a tripod imo - it is quite shaky. Much better with the 14-45.

I don't know much about the A300 but I wouldn't have thought you are going to see a big difference in IQ with the GF1. The 20mm lens is great though which certainly helps.

Yep, that is why I would get 14-45 first to impress my missus with video :)
20mm would be my kind of thing, but thats later...

I think it would work out cheaper to get the 20mm with the GF1 than buy it later. Mathers sell an unboxed 14-45mm for a good price separately too.

I fancy that 14-45 kit lens, quite cheap at £209 from Mathers....is it really worth buying considering what lens's I already have...whats results like with it ?

Opinions please.

Dave

Another question is: does all 4/3 lens work with camera's IS? I mean with 4/3 adapter - would for example Sigma 4/3 lens IS work on GF-1?

I fancy that 14-45 kit lens, quite cheap at £209 from Mathers....is it really worth buying considering what lens's I already have...whats results like with it ?

Opinions please.

Dave

Some examples with the 14-45

20100315-Harris-1-1-2.jpg

20100317-Ness-1060808.jpg

20100315-Harris-1060164_5_6_7_8.jpg

It's really good imo - in decent light at least - it could do with being a bit faster but the IQ seems good to me. Not quite as sharp as the 20mm perhaps. I find the focal range good for most outdoor/landscape scenarios apart from wildlife where you might want more zoom.

@ phinix - I'm not sure but I don't think so.

Last edited:
(y)Thanks Graham, think I'll treat myself, a bit miserable and down at the moment, one thing that struck me is one can crop before taking which saves a job after.

Look out Mathers, your phone is ringing

Out of stock till Tuesday, so roll on Wednesday morning postman!

Last edited:
Seriously.. you must be some pro photographer and know all the tricks how to squize all the possible options from this camera + PP magician or this camera is really that good:)

How do you make such a sharp photos great colors amazing framing? I suck in this big time.. I should just sell my A300 and hide under some big rock ...

Far from it mate :)
TBH the camera is very good, and composition and post processing will help.
But also bare in mind that these are all jpegs so shooting in RAW would give abit more room when editing.

All of these were cropped and then rum through Aperture 3, I spent about 5 minutes on each one until I was happy.
The sensor on the GF 1 really is good especially with the right lens. I have both the 14-45mm and the 20mm. The 20mm is great and it is on the camera say 80% of the time while the 14-45mm takes up the rest and is mainly used when the wife takes the camera as she likes the zoom and the IS especially when shooting video...

Overall its a lovely camera and can produce some amazing shots.
I sold my 40D and 85mm 1.8, 50mm 1.4 as well as my 17-55mm 2.8 and then bought the GF-1. I loved the 40D especially with 85mm 1.8 attached
but with my 2 little girls it was just to big so I downsized to this and haven't missed the 40D at all. ;)

Thats exactly what I'm thinking - I need video cause my missus whats to shoot videos of our little one, but I want to play with primes, I love my 50 1.8 on Sony, so I would have to buy 20mm 1.7 quickly...:)

(y)Thanks Graham, think I'll treat myself, a bit miserable and down at the moment, one thing that struck me is one can crop before taking which saves a job after.

Look out Mathers, your phone is ringing

Out of stock till Tuesday, so roll on Wednesday morning postman!

Nice one David, if you've got the cash then why not. :)

Don't think you'll be disappointed.

I just wondered if anyone has had any dust issues yet?

I haven't, but I only have the 20mm f1.7 and it stays on but with my 20D I did used to get contamination even without lens changes, presumably from stuff getting in or more likely stuff coming off the moving parts.

Well, today I jumped in aswell. Went into Manchester intending to buy an M8, and ended up with a G1...

Couldn't resist. Twin lens kit -14-45 and 45-200 for £450 secondhand. Took a chance because it just looked so clean... Just checked the shuttercount using the hidden Panasonic menu - 753! And I must have shot 100 of those in the shop....

Can I just say - how impressive are the kit lenses?! I didn't think I'd be impressed [remember, this is just to mount M glass, really] - but the OIS really works.

Anyway, I've just saved over £1300 to splurge on M-glass.... First off, who wants to sell me their CV 40mm Nokton.... and watch out for the inevitable Nikon-fest on the sales forums!!

In all seriousness, M4/3rds is two cameras in one - an AF, iA, auto for my wife, and a manual focus dream [went with the G1 over the GF1 because of the EP-2 quality viewfinder included, rather than a £200 cost option] for my Leicalust...

Top marks to the guys a WIldings in Manchester - really knowledgable, friendly, and helpful. It's just become my go-to store for photo gear, and not just because of this... it's been a while since I met a shop staff that were as willing to help. Heartily recommended!

I'm on the cusp of getting a GF1 before the cashback ends, I really do like the quality of photographs I've seen from the 20mm pancake.

What's the high ISO and dynamic range like? I'm used to my S5 Pro which has a huge dynamic range, I assume I'll have to be more careful not to blow out highlights with the GF1?

I expected the DR to be reduced and I think that you're right in that you have to watch the highlights. Overall though I'm happy enough and haven't encountered too many problems.

That rainbow / snow snapshot I took out of my bedroom window (post 1790) seems to have quite a DR even though I didn't take any great care, I just pointed and shot.

I think that noise starts getting a bit obvious at ISO 800 but with a careful technique and post processing higher ISO's will be useable.

:LOL:

one I'm using at the momenty is a San Disk Ultra// 4GB

Nowt wrong with that !

I tend to stick to 2Gb & 4Gb cards, it means changing cards but you won't lose everything if a card goes duff or gets lost.

Unless you're working with video or writing bursts of RAW+JPG (i.e. big chunks of data) you don't need anything better than the one you have.

...and.. I did it!!! I bought it! YAY!!! :D
It should be with me on Tuesday:)

Great stuff!

I'll look forward to seeing your picture...and dreading that they'll be better than mine! :bang::LOL:

Nice one phinix - enjoy.

Another recruit to the cult too - my mum's partner just sold his nikon dslr and bought a GF1 after playing with mine and seeing my pics. :)

Nice one phinix - enjoy.

Another recruit to the cult too - my mum's partner just sold his nikon dslr and bought a GF1 after playing with mine and seeing my pics. :)

It has to STOP just bought another lens (14-45) from Mathers, it will be despatched on Tuesday so I will have it on Wednesday.....so much for me just having the GF1 and the super 20mm lens which really was enough.

Am I just stupid:bang:

PS Welcome to the GF1 nuthouse Phinix, you will enjoy it I know

Last edited:
You could sell me your 45-200 old boy ;)

When the weather improves I can leave back door open sit in the kitchen drinking tea and taking pictures of the bird feeder complete with birds..

By the way Grum it is a nice lens (y):LOL:

:bonk:

Used my LVF with the 45mm lens....found it very good and easy to use.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back