Picked up my new camera today....a GF1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks guys! I'm sooo happy, see I even haven't sold my current kit yet, but my wife said.. "oooook.... buy it if you want..." So I did:)
Already ordered cir/polariser filter for it and now I need to get a card: I'm thinking Panasonic class 10 8GB.
Now, I know it too soon, but wanted to ask you guys: will you consider that new prime Panas is going to release soon? That 14mm 2.5? What do you think the price will be? Similar to 20 1.7? I'm willing to buy one of those in next 2 months... 14mm 2.5 sounds pretty interesting...

double post...

Last edited:
Here's a shot with a GF1, 14-45 and a few filters - ND110, circular polariser, and Lee ND 0.9. I've got some step-up rings that allow me to use my "big camera" Lee filter set and ND110, polariser etc at 77mm.

Lens set to manual focus, OIS turned off. Happily the composition can be done with all the filters on as the camera seems to multiply the light hitting the lens quite nicely. However when trying manual focus using the zoom-in feature, it just gives me a black screen, so I had to focus prior to fitting the filters.

This was a 60 sec exposure at f/16 or something and ISO100. I did a 3 min exposure using a cheapo cable remote I picked up from eBay which works fine too.

4481763129_8eeff7ce52_o.jpg

Yep, I got it with 14-45 for £529:)

It's been a few weeks now since I got back from Val Thorens, having taken the GF1 for its first trip away. I actually bought the camera for this very purpose - having previously taken the D700 and various bits and bobs with me, which proved somewhat bulky!

All in all, the camera performed well - although there are one or two niggles that still don't sit too well with me. One is the autoISO defaulting to 1/30sec on the shutter speed. I think I must have particularly unstable mits, but I cannot seem to get a decent shot at this speed.

The other crit really reflects on me, rather than the camera/lens. It's a size thing. When I bought it, I stuck it in my pocket, and the size seemed OK. When I got onto my snowboard however, it's bulk became a bit of a burden. Whenever I bent over, I ended up with it jagging into my side - not ideal when you are snowboarding. Also tried to leave it loose beneath my jacket, using the neck strap, but this also caused problems.

So, maybe not the best camera for this purpose, but still it took some greast shots. Not sure if these will resize well to 800px, but here goes...

Cheers, Bradders.

Do you know, I hate this forum... now I have to go out and get a GF1 with 14-45 lens.:help:

On a good note, I can then be another GF1 buddy!

Only another £170 to find...............now, what else can I sell from my Nikon box of bits......

Allan

Do you know, I hate this forum... now I have to go out and get a GF1 with 14-45 lens.:help:

Only another £170 to find...............now, what else can I sell from my Nikon box of bits......

Allan

Hurry up we are all waiting(y)

S***.. looks like guys from Mathers missed one holiday when told me I'll get it today.. my GF-1 is coming tomorrow... One more day.. hmm... If I go to sleep now time will pass faster.. ok.. just need to try not to think about it all the time...

S***.. looks like guys from Mathers missed one holiday when told me I'll get it today.. my GF-1 is coming tomorrow... One more day.. hmm... If I go to sleep now time will pass faster.. ok.. just need to try not to think about it all the time...

Sitting waiting for postman to deliver new lens ( 14-45mm kit), Mathers posted on Tuesday, so should be here this am, usually SD comes to me around 8am!.

Allan

Allan,

Can you hang fire a couple of weeks? Work colleague of mine borrowed the GF1 yesterday for a trip to China, that I was also supposed to be going on.

I've been mulling over letting it go for a few weeks, since I got back from snowboarding - the size is the main issue for me - didn't fit comfortably in my jacket pocket - and if I need to lug a bag around, I may as well take the D700.

Cheers, Mark

I'm still here!

It's pretty dull here thought with lots of drizzle so it's not ideal picture taking weather. I keep reading the thread to keep up with developments though :)

Sitting waiting for postman to deliver new lens ( 14-45mm kit), Mathers posted on Tuesday, so should be here this am, usually SD comes to me around 8am!.

I got mine!!!! WOW!!! Its here! I got it!!!!

HOLY ****!!! This is small!!! I was going out to work and postman knocked to my door! I signed and got small box.. opened it.. and it was in it.. so small.. so beautiful... so ... my precioussssss....:nuts:

I got mine!!!! WOW!!! Its here! I got it!!!!

HOLY ****!!! This is small!!! I was going out to work and postman knocked to my door! I signed and got small box.. opened it.. and it was in it.. so small.. so beautiful... so ... my precioussssss....:nuts:

My 14-45mm lens arrived too

Results look good on first quick test pics.

Street pics exactly as taken 14mm and 45mm

Last edited:
:shake: Just my luck, the £50 cashback ended a couple of days ago. Not such a bargain now so my mind is starting to wander to other makes / types.
I am going for a recce in jessops this afternoon to see what they have and to have a play with a GF1.

Mark, thanks for the heads up, but I was going to get something this week and prefer new cameras ( its an OCD thing! although strangely, I've bought plenty of used lenses...)

Allan

I got my GF1 in just before the cashback ended. It's a great little camera, fits in a coat pocket and very nice picture quality with the 20mm pancake.

What do people use for cases? I think 80% of the time I'm going to be carrying it in a bag not designed to fit cameras, so I'd like something to protect it from knocks.

I got my GF1 in just before the cashback ended. It's a great little camera, fits in a coat pocket and very nice picture quality with the 20mm pancake.

What do people use for cases? I think 80% of the time I'm going to be carrying it in a bag not designed to fit cameras, so I'd like something to protect it from knocks.

There are quite a few different bags people have discovered fit the GF1 - depends on your lens choice(s)

I have found the Lowepro LC 1N - which is actually a lens case - fits the GF1 + 20mm perfectly

Skip back a few pages in this thread and you'll see the other options

How much is your cheap insurance Graham? :LOL:

Like the pics....:clap:

Last edited:
i have been following this thread, on and off, for some time now. very interesting views and some really excellent pictures.

i like the look and the feel of the gf1 however there is one thing that i worry about; how usable is the rear screen i daylight? common sense tells me it will be impossible to use in sunlight and i will need to spend extra money on an evf...

so, whats the experience/feeling/consensus amongst users about the usability of that screen? is evf a must?

thanks in advance...

The rear screen was fine on the sunniest day I've used it. Of course a sunny day in northern England isn't as bright as some... :)

In many ways I prefer using the screen on the GF1 (as I did with my LX2 before it) more than a viewfinder. I've had no real problems in any light yet and I've used it in very bright conditions. It is obviouslly a little harder to see but it's OK.

As a tool, a camera is far more versatile when you don't need your eye glued to it when you shoot. More viewpoints are open to you and lets you be more creative.

All that said, I'd like to try the EVF but I doubt I'd use it much at all.

How much is your cheap insurance Graham? :LOL:

Like the pics....:clap:

Thanks oldboy - only just got your joke. :LOL:

I'm sure there is discussion further up in the thread, but I haven't found it a great problem having no VF - I did get a clearviewer which helps when it's really bright, but I don't use it that much.

Never had an SLR to compare it to though.

thanks for the replies guys. i was being lazy asking, i expect there are few words on vf v's screen but its quite a lot of thread now;)
i just wanted to gauge if people bought into the small size of the gf1 and then found it necessary to add a vf to the top adding to the size and also adding the the price. seems not...

i guess you need to experience it to see if it impacts on things...

Last edited:
I love the idea of getting a GF1 style/size camera, but there are several things that put me off, especially when you consider the not insignificant price tag...

I may have some details wrong, as I'm only going by what I have read:

I would like the EVF built in - or if that wasn't possible one that didn't use up the hot shoe, meaning you can't use camera mounted or off camera flash, and the EVF at the same time? Personally I would be happy to lose the internal flash and replace it with an internal EVF, as long as it had a hot shoe too.
I have heard the bracketing option isn't very good - not enough range?
The auto ISO implementation seems a bit lacking with a shutter speed of 1/30 - you should be able to set this to what you want it to be? I would rather have a noisy image than a blurry one...
A higher flash sync speed would be good too!

The first manufacture to fix those things in a GF1 size body will get my money, and have a best selling camera flying off the shelves! (y)

Last edited:
Kind of agree about an EVF but it's not that big a deal to me. There are rumours of the GF2 having an EVF built in, don't know how reliable they are. I don't generally find the built in flash that useful, but that might be down to technique.

I can't imagine why you would want more range/options than the bracketing on the GF1 - you can have 7 steps I think from -2 to +2 if you want.

Agree about the auto ISO thing - hopefully a future firmware update might address this. It's not really a biggie for me though

You can apparently sync up to the max shutter speed of 1/4000 with certain external flash units - I'm not really an expert on this but I read a forum post somewhere where someone said they had done it.

Well my GF1 and 20mm Kit is for sale on the Sale Forum - I've decided to change my DSLR and cant justify both !

I can't imagine why you would want more range/options than the bracketing on the GF1 - you can have 7 steps I think from -2 to +2 if you want.

You can apparently sync up to the max shutter speed of 1/4000 with certain external flash units - I'm not really an expert on this but I read a forum post somewhere where someone said they had done it.

In that case I may have miss read about the bracketing.... that does sound like it's sufficient. :)

I would be interested to read that. I think it might mean changing all existing flashes I have to Panny or Oly flashes for the high speed FP sync mode though? I just want a reasonable sync speed for manual flash ala strobist :D

Hurry up we are all waiting(y)

Another proud owner of a GF1 with 14-45 lens. I was going to go for the 20mm as well, but it looks like they are in short supply as the full twin lens kit, and it was stretching the budget a little too much!

So, new camera and the sunniest day for months = happy chappy! :D
And, even better, I got it at the cashback price with a 3 year warranty.

I'm just going out for a walk, I may be some time............

Allan

Another proud owner of a GF1 with 14-45 lens. I was going to go for the 20mm as well, but it looks like they are in short supply as the full twin lens kit, and it was stretching the budget a little too much!

So, new camera and the sunniest day for months = happy chappy! :D
And, even better, I got it at the cashback price with a 3 year warranty.

I'm just going out for a walk, I may be some time............

Allan

Nice one

It'll be dark in a minute!

Guys, quick one: why my camera asks me to insert the card again, when I didnt even touch it? It happens every 4-5th time I turn the camera on...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back