Picked up my new camera today....a GF1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just read someone mentioning 'If you are interested in macro, then the Canon 50mm (100mm equiv) f3.5 macro (with ext tubes) is a good bet, yes you will need an adapter but should be all in for £100.'.. (Richie15), so I will have to look into that too.

Hm.. Yup. Still leaning towards the GF1 but still on the fence while I read at least the rest of this thread (on post #2027 now) ;)

If you get the GF1 over the G1 and want to do macro I would strongly advise getting the EVF as well.

Stunning as usual Graham
Although I think you have it a bit easier due to the scenery in your part of the world (y)

tis great getting into the Lakes mid-week. Come weekends in summer and its a nightmare!

I wanna see this recumbent Robb :)

All being well, get the chain sorted this weekend and then i can start commuting on it and getting fit.

Lovely shots of the lakes, where were you at?
need to get out on the MTB again, missing it.

Stunning as usual Graham
Although I think you have it a bit easier due to the scenery in your part of the world (y)

Thanks Alan :)

Yes it's cheating living up here really - just point the GF1 at anything and you get lovely photos. ;)

Robb - we did a loop from Keswick - to Threlkeld, up past the Blencathra centre, then round Lonscale Fell (few hairy bits here!) and back down to Keswick via Latrigg. Really superb route - 'bout 20km. Lets try and get out again soon.

The bit from Latrigg down to Keswick gets hellishly busy at times but it was pretty much deserted last night.

If you get the GF1 over the G1 and want to do macro I would strongly advise getting the EVF as well.

Hm.. That'd make it all rather costly, so I will probably get the GF1 + 20mm and put some money aside for EVF/macro item - thank you for the recommendation ;)

Just finished reading the entire thread, giving myself a few days to let things settle in my mind after which I'll decide on which camera to get.

Keswick is about an hours drive from me - it's lovely up there. I'm definitely lucky to live in such a beautiful area.

If you look on picture 3 you can just about see two mountain bikers on the path we took - right where the path goes round the corner. Bit hairy in places!

Last edited:
Great stuff mate......keep the pics coming of your rides.

Sure does look "Hair Raising"

Did all my biking on roads and race track, mountain biking was not really in in the early 50's....wished it had been.

Will do :)

Yeah mountain biking is a great laugh - though I used to quite like road biking too - not been out in a while.

Have to say the GF1 (with 20mm lens) is the perfect camera for doing stuff like this - I could get it in my small camelback rucksack, though it spent most of the time attached to the chest strap of the rucksack for easy access.

Hmm... finger has been hovering over the 'finalize purchase' on multiple occasions.. but I told myself I'd be waiting until Sunday/Monday to give any niggling doubts the chance to dissuade me one last time :p

Not that I have actual doubts, but I don't want to kick myself after I've purchased it and find out it was a terrible choice for some reason I can't fathom right now ;)

Maybe I should get it - It'd mean I'd have it in on Monday :cool:

Hmm... finger has been hovering over the 'finalize purchase' on multiple occasions.. but I told myself I'd be waiting until Sunday/Monday to give any niggling doubts the chance to dissuade me one last time :p

Not that I have actual doubts, but I don't want to kick myself after I've purchased it and find out it was a terrible choice for some reason I can't fathom right now ;)

Maybe I should get it - It'd mean I'd have it in on Monday :cool:

Sold my D90 and Lenses to buy the GF1 and have never had the slightest regret.

It's tempting indeed and comments such as yours do help solidify my opinion of the GF1 ;)

Last edited:
I appreciate your money is precious and you've got to be satisfied with your purchase, but what final niggling doubts do you have?

Maybe one of us can help

The only real drawback imo is the lack of viewfinder - I only find this a problem in really bright midday sunshine. Some people get on fine with the EVF but it seems a bit too pricey to me.

I think I've covered it - one of the doubts was whether the flash would not snap off easily. However, since I rarely used the flash with my Powershot G9, I doubt I will have it out enough to not be aware of its presence.. Apart from that there wasn't anything really.

So I just ordered it - It'll arrive on Monday between 9 and 1pm ;)

Now I'll 'hunt' for bags and such. I ordered a GGS screen-protector from ebay already.

PS. Ah yes, the viewfinder.. But I will remedy that, in time - it means I'll just have to save up a bit.

You won't use the flash much.....low light pics with the 20mm is uperb

Congrats neenee :D

The flash looks flimsy but is surprisingly sturdy - I rarely use it though, much prefer natural light pics usually, and as oldboy says the 20mm is great for that.

I think I've covered it - one of the doubts was whether the flash would not snap off easily. However, since I rarely used the flash with my Powershot G9, I doubt I will have it out enough to not be aware of its presence.. Apart from that there wasn't anything really.

So I just ordered it - It'll arrive on Monday between 9 and 1pm ;)

Now I'll 'hunt' for bags and such. I ordered a GGS screen-protector from ebay already.

PS. Ah yes, the viewfinder.. But I will remedy that, in time - it means I'll just have to save up a bit.

Nice one - you won't regret it.

I found the Lowepro LC1N - actually a lens case, fits the GF1 and 20mm perfectly. But as you have no doubt seen in the previous pages there are lots of options for bags.

4334969168_dacf9bac69_o.jpg

Nice one - you won't regret it.

I found the Lowepro LC1N - actually a lens case, fits the GF1 and 20mm perfectly. But as you have no doubt seen in the previous pages there are lots of options for bags.

4334969168_dacf9bac69_o.jpg

Does that have a belt loop? Would be perfect for attaching to my new rucksack.

Does that have a belt loop? Would be perfect for attaching to my new rucksack.

It does indeed, I just ordered one too thanks to bl0at3rs recommendation - here's a picture of it, from multiple angles ;)

gd240c605275.jpg

Oh, and thank you on the congrats/well-wishes grum, bl0at3r and oldboy2000 - I wish it were Monday already :p

And yup - I have a class 6 4GB SDHC card here which will do for now ;)

Last edited:
Hello. I've enjoyed reading this thread and looking at your pictures. I've recently retired my partially broken Canon Ixus point-and-shoot in favour of a GF1 with the 20mm lens. I'm trying to get in the habit of taking it everywhere with me, and am gradually switching over from the iPhone for spontaneous pictures.

I can't get my phone to work the image embedding, but here's a link to a snap I took down the stairwell in Simpsons earlier today (well, yesterday, technically):

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rsstephenson/4693601018/

I'm yet to completely get the hang of post-processing the raw images, but I couldn't face the double double vision vision of raw+jpeg and throwing data away just seemed wrong. Any Aperture users care to persuade me it's worth the bother & expense over iPhoto?

Hi - the combo of GF1 RAW files and Lightroom is very user friendly and powerful imo. I'm sure Aperture is capable of similar though but I had the trial and didn't get on as well.

I sometimes do a fair bit of processing and I find the RAW files can take it a lot better.

Nice pic btw - here you go :)

4693601018_a53b2dd02d.jpg

It does indeed, I just ordered one too thanks to bl0at3rs recommendation - here's a picture of it, from multiple angles ;)

gd240c605275.jpg

Oh, and thank you on the congrats/well-wishes grum, bl0at3r and oldboy2000 - I wish it were Monday already :p

And yup - I have a class 6 4GB SDHC card here which will do for now ;)

Is it Monday yet?
Is it Monday yet?
Is it Monday yet?
Is it Monday yet?
Is it Monday yet?

Same here - I'll have to be careful with it until I get the pouch/screen protector, so I will probably not take it outside right away, but there's plenty of things inside - even if it's only a cupboard ;)

*update* There, just ordered a 16GB Class 10 SDHC card for £27.5 from eBay, just incase the 4GB class 6 could be improved upon.

Last edited:
After selling my GF1... and missing it i have just bought another from here. 3months old and hardly used! I realised that the majority of 'keepers' were from the GF1 so despite it being uncomfortable it is the most sensible camera for me and one that I have used the most by far. I still have all my manual lenses and adapters so i can still have some MF Fun! (y)

Last edited:
After selling my GF1... and missing it i have just bought another from here. 3months old and hardly used! I realised that the majority of 'keepers' were from the GF1 so despite it being uncomfortable it is the most sensible camera for me and one that I have used the most by far. I still have all my manual lenses and adapters so i can still have some MF Fun! (y)

Welcome back Andy - looking forward to seeing more of your shots with a variety of crusty old glass stuck on the front of the gf1 (y)

Thanks mate. Looking forward to reuniting myself with it once again!

Crusty old glass indeed!! During the war....................:nuts:

Hehe. I know ;) I should get it before 1pm, though the e-mail stated the approximation of between 8.15 and 11.15, so who knows - I might get it within the hour :)

Great weather outside now too :)

Last edited:
I purchased it from 'Fotobooms', a Dutch/Belgian online store for Photography/Video. I chose them mainly because they had the item in stock, did next work-day delivery and gave me the option to select the time of day if I payed a small fee (4 euros).

And I just got it - so within the 8.15-11.15 window they specified ;)

Carefully unboxing it now.

*update* Charging battery.

Last edited:
Never heard of them but certainly sound ok....delivery exactly on time..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back