Picked up my new camera today....a GF1

Status
Not open for further replies.
I like the pictures of the old house - very gritty. Why is it called 'Haunted' - are there stories attached to it of some grisly deed connected to it now standing empty and derelict?

I like the pictures of the old house - very gritty. Why is it called 'Haunted' - are there stories attached to it of some grisly deed connected to it now standing empty and derelict?
There are 2 cottages and a big house all on a farm and the whole area has Paranormal stuff going on! The Cottage above is said to be haunted by a Shepherd who hung himself after he lost his sheep when they were buried in deep snow at the bottom of a small, steep valley. We managed to contact a woman who lived in the cottage from 1972 to 1978 and she told us all sorts of stories about that cottage and the one next door. We have had 2 mediums up there who came up with some good info that only the owner and I knew and that's not local knowledge or recorded anywhere. I am taking 6 mediums and another Paranormal investigation team up there tonight to see if they can pick up on any of the info I know. None of the Mediums know of the farm as it's hidden away and the mediums live on London, Staines and deepest Sussex so no locals! Should be a fun night!!

That sounds very interesting - I've been on a Ghost Tour once, but I've never actually entered anywhere classified as Haunted myself. Please share your findings and/or pictures when you're able, but it's weekend, so no rush - oh, and have fun ofcourse :D

When my little report is up on our site ( http://www.surreyparanormal.co.uk ) I'll let you know.

A couple of my reports will be published in a book Called Paranormal Surrey by Marq English which is coming out soon, very exciting!!:nuts:

okidoki :D

Hm. Surrey I see. The ghost tour I've been on was in Guildford, so you're not too far from there.

Cool!

okidoki :D

Hm. Surrey I see. The ghost tour I've been on was in Guildford, so you're not too far from there.

Cool!
Keep an eye on the upcoming events page!!!!!

My first shot with my new GF-1

Took a walk around the village and snapped a few things along the way. Its soo light, marvellous. and the pancake 20mm 1.7 is to die for! :D

4714179562_7ee9305cac.jpg

4714180272_f4f3a11a1e.jpg

4714178962_ef14335a64.jpg

4714179780_9ff503181b_b.jpg

Last edited:
Well done Janice nice pics, long time since I've seen the Hatfield Broad Oak sign...

Glad your pleased with the GF1 it is a great piece of kit.

Thanks for sharing Janice - I wish my town had such a rustic/pittoresque look.

And I've never seen a purple poppy - are they common where you live?

I like your shots and am looking forward to seeing more :D

And I've never seen a purple poppy - are they common where you live?

No!! It was in someone's garden.... so a cultivated one!

But thanks for the nice comments folks. :)

Ah, I see - that explains it then :D

Pleasure, they're good shots.

How do you find the GF1 handle compared to the Canon 50D in your profile?

Ah, I see - that explains it then :D

Pleasure, they're good shots.

How do you find the GF1 handle compared to the Canon 50D in your profile?

its early days yet... as I only got it yesterday!!

I knew my way around the 50d because i had a 20d, 30d and 40d before it... so I could do that with my eyes shut.

I must say the GF1 has all the setttings needed.. its just getting to know them as a habit.

I can't say I have found any function missing and have been amazed what HAS been included to be honest... blinking highlights, continuous focus tracking, .. everything.

I can tell in a week or so when it becomes more familiar to me.. that I will enjoy it even more.

For me its all about the ability to have it with me when I want it.

Hope you are having fun with your new GF-1 as well! (y)

The lightness and compact size is JUST what I wanted. It will enable me to get out and about and take it everywhere not JUST when I want to go on a specific photo opportunity... which didnt ever happen in the end!!

Good DOF there on the birthday girl and her cake. (y)

D90 vs G2, G1, GF1
Hi all, I have a d90 which is fantastic but bulky to take out all the time, the G1 and G2 have just come to my attention but I understand they are not true slr cameras. I realise the limitations of the lens selection but everyone who has one seems to love them.

If I was to hang up my d90 fir one of this, what, if any, would I be losing in picture quality/functionality? Would I have to be trawling through menus for things like iso etc..? Woul I regret the decision? I'd like to save on bulk but nit at the expense of too much image quality.
What are the key differences and what I the best buy between G1 G2 Gh1 and Gf1?

Here's some I took today at a Classic car show.

I limited myself to the 20mm pancake for most of the time.. using manual mode which I always do. Had great fun!

Cant get on flickr so hope you dont mind looking at them via my website.

And yes I know I have put 3 s's in Classic!!! ;)

http://www.janicehobbs.com/Classsic Cars/album/index.html

Interesting pictures Janice - the odd bicycle especially :D

I assumed you post-processed them to give them a more 'classsic' look? (dark corners, altered saturation/vibrance?) I think it works well for them.

And a very nice cake there zoidberg as well as a good moment to capture it - with the candle being blown out - I hope she made a good wish :D

Cheers folks.
The beauty of the GF1, grabbed it out of the bag and shot with out checking the setting, that was in "P" mode.

Good job you didnt do that in manual mode, Rob!! :D

In case anyone is interested, just posted up some GF1 kit in the classified - GF1 body, 20mm and 45mm primes.

Cases anyone. What I am thinking of doing is getting one of those 2-piece black or brown leather cases that houses the gf1 with 20mm f1.7 pancake lens attached... for a walk . Then an actual small bag for that case to go in along with the other lens(es)j and perhaps a flash in the future, to keep them all in at home and for going out for the day etc.

Dont want anything too big. I have what i considered a small bag but they are rattling around in there!! :D

This afternoon I received my 45-200mm and I went out short after to take some pictures. I must say.. manual focus at/near 200mm isn't easy hand-held, but fun nonetheless :D

Here are two pictures I would like to share:

While I was there, I met some other 'togs', one of them had a point and shoot without the ability to zoom.
I thought I'd take his shot while he was in his stance :D (yup.. the plants do spoil it a bit, but I only had a small window of time)

I think it's a rather nice lens. Very light and compact when not in use and it seems very responsive when focusing manually. I have no comparison to other lenses, but even when using auto-focus it's responsive and taking the picture does not seem to be delayed either.

Very nice shots, the lens looks nice and sharp considering they are hand held.

Last edited:
Yes those shots are great. May I ask why you were manual focusing the 45-200??

Thank you for the compliments.

oldboy2000 - Your mother in law - are you referring to the older gentleman in his stance? (might have ruined some joke here :p)

*update* aaaaaah.. You meant the crow? :p

Janice - Mainly because I enjoy shooting that way, it makes me feel more like a 'real' photographer. I do use autofocus with some shots, to make sure I have something before taking the time to do it manually though - I do not like to be left without anything because I spent too much time tinkering :D

Aha preference not necessity!! :D

COuple of questions to anyone who would care to answer!! :

1. Someone mentioned they used a DCR-250 with the 20mm for macro shots. I have the DCR-250 but will I need a step up ring to use it with the GF-1?

2. My autofocus square isnt in the middle of the screen. Its defo set on AFS and not MF. I have even tried using MF and moving the yellow square around the screen till its in the middle just in case this makes a difference when you change it, but it doesnt.
It is a tad lower than the middle and a tiny bit to the right, easy to see if I put the grid on.
Any ideas??

A few more from me, the GF1 and a Konica Hexanon 40mm f1.8
The lens on my GF1:

I love all the old lenses! Do you have to have lots of different adapters for konica, helios, voigtlander etc etc

Depends on what fitting the lens has. Takumar, Zeiss, Vivitar, Helios and a load of others use M42 mostly so this is the most common. There is a section on Ebay just for adapters:

Link: http://photography.shop.ebay.co.uk/Lens-Mounts-Adapters-/30059/i.html?_catref=1&_fln=1&_mdo=Photography&_mspp=&_pcats=625&_trksid=p3286.c0.m282

Here are mine:

Heres my GF1 with Konica adapter fitted:

Olympus OK adapter and lens on GF1:

M42 adapter with Super Takumar lens:

Canon FD lens and adapter:

C Mount lens adapter with CCTV lens:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back