Picked up my new camera today....a GF1

Status
Not open for further replies.
What zoom lens is good for this to act like a 70-200 lens I am using on my canon 40d

The closest you will have is the panasonic 45-200mm - slighly wider at 45mm than the 70-200 on your 40D and also slightly longer at 200mm when you take the crop into account.

What best price on that do u know?

What!!!!!!!!! We can use our Lee Filter on this GF1 I have a Full size Digital SLR Lee Filter Kit that I was going to sell as I though we cant use them on these compact dSLR. So all i need is to get a ring to fit onto the lens... So what Panasonic Lens got thread so i can screw lee filter on it it?

I already had a 52mm lee adaptor and bought a 46-52 adaptor from ebay.

I think the RF kit is really designed to give clearance for the view finder but with the GF1 that's not really an issue.

Have you got any pic's taken with the filter system..?

Mark

Loads from my holidays....

original.jpg

original.jpg

I have cancelled the Sony NEX order and ordered a GF1 with 14-42 and 20mm pancake. Aparently they are shipping with the 14-42 now rather than 14-45. Any idea how these two kit lenses compare?

I was looking at comparisons last night, Pete, and is seems overall that the 14-45 is better, sharper.

Why are they making 2 so close in focal range anyway??

I was looking at comparisons last night, Pete, and is seems overall that the 14-45 is better, sharper.

Why are they making 2 so close in focal range anyway??

I think the 14-42mm has quieter AF for when you are recording. The 14-45mm is regarded as the better lens.

14-42 has a plastic connection where the 14-45 is metal.

More of everyones favourite pet hate, Infra-red ;)

B&W conversion this time instead of colour.

Is IR done with a camera mounted filter and then you processed it to B+W?

What PP software do you use?

Mark

So Zoidberg, Grum,
You up for a mini GF1 meet in a few weeks?

So Zoidberg, Grum,
You up for a mini GF1 meet in a few weeks?

All,
Don't laugh but had a play yesterday at a MTB centre I go as it's only 35 mins from me (Coed Llandegla). Anyway, tried some RAW files and just had a very quick play in PE8.

What are your comments..?

4898831420_ac7cab132c_z.jpg

Mark

Is IR done with a camera mounted filter and then you processed it to B+W?

What PP software do you use?

Mark

760nm IR Filter mounted on camera.
Custom white balance, set camera to "Custom WB 2" and with filter fitted, point at some green grass that is well lit by sunlight and use that as the white balance.
Heres the exif for that shot.
Exposure 8 seconds
Aperture f/5.6
Focal Length 20 mm
ISO Speed 100
Exposure Bias 0 EV

I shoot RAW and jpg and since i only have CS3, i have to export the RAW from LR3 as a tif, open in CS3. Run an "IR processing action" on the tif. Save it. Import it back in LR3 and tweak as required.
Sounds a bit long winded but it works. Go back several pages in the thread and you'll find a link to the CS3 action.

I confuse myself with processing images. How do you work these things out?

What size ring do i need for the 20mm and the 14 - 42 mm lens as i hoping to get the correct size adaptor ring to fit my lee filter kit..

Which filter system this?

This is the Lee filter system

What size ring do i need for the 20mm and the 14 - 42 mm lens as i hoping to get the correct size adaptor ring to fit my lee filter kit..

The 20mm has a 46mm thread. Not sure of the 14-42's thread size.

This is the Lee filter system

The 20mm has a 46mm thread. Not sure of the 14-42's thread size.

Which lens are you using for the lee filter?

Which lens are you using for the lee filter?

I only have the 20mm. I got a 46-52mm step up ring from ebay to connect to my lee adaptor.

I got a 77mm adaptor for my lee filter I guess I can't get a stepping ring for that?

can you just ad a series of step up rings until you reach 77mm?

you could try.

On ebay at the moment there is a 46-58mm step-up ring and a 58-77 step-up ring.

You could also buy the smallest Lee adaptor which is 49mm and get a 46-49 step-up ring.

I confuse myself with processing images. How do you work these things out?

an awfull lot of "googling" and then working out how to adapt what ive read to work with work-flow.

Re step up rings. Be wary of them on the 20mm, as the lens moves backwards and if the shoulder on the step up ring is not deep enough it may stop the lens moving.

an awfull lot of "googling" and then working out how to adapt what ive read to work with work-flow.

Re step up rings. Be wary of them on the 20mm, as the lens moves backwards and if the shoulder on the step up ring is not deep enough it may stop the lens moving.

Oh I see. What u suggest me to do alike use filters.

I got a 77mm adaptor for my lee filter I guess I can't get a stepping ring for that?

The 52mm adapter for your lee system is about £16 and a stepping ring from 46-52mm is under a fiver.

That gives you the adapters you need for the 20mm and the 14-45mm

Following on from my question regarding peoples kit, the below is what I currently have. I’d like to understand what would be a useful addition to the kit and/or items I already have i.e. filters etc.

Panasonic GF1.
Panasonic 20mm Pancake lens.
Panasonic 14-45mm lens.
Redsnapper tripod and ball head mount.
Gorillapod SLR Zoom (soon).
Hoya Pro1 digital UV filter 52mm.

My interests are portrait with my little boy, Landscape, water, mountainbiking, snowboarding and architecture.

I would also like to learn as much as possible from current GF1 owners on technique if anyone is willing to advise.

Many thanks

Mark

double post again...

6 recent shots from me. I love sqaure crop more than I love life itself. However, not as much as I like women, coffee and my cat.

4898506123_c1d1a31aa2.jpg

4898498573_bf40225d58.jpg

4899069856_e52fc730ce.jpg

4898473851_91dcb870dd.jpg

4899032806_cb424a36ba.jpg

4898448209_7dfd75e3a1.jpg

6 recent shots from me. I love sqaure crop more than I love life itself. However, not as much as I like women, coffee and my cat.
4898448209_7dfd75e3a1.jpg

Good priorities - alongside some amazing shots. Really like the crossing - simple and yes, square crop works well.

Aside from this, I bet you never though this thread would clear 3000 posts!

I took my son out to the beach for the first time on the weekend.

GF1 20mm

Thanks mate. I'm glad I had a portable highly capable camera with me to shoot this, I don't really carry my big heavy 5d2 around for family occasions or any other social event unless it's an assignment. The GF1 actively makes you want to go out and take photographs. And having a camera with you more often inevitably leads to you being able to capture moments like this more often.

When you guys made the cash back claim did you cut out the barcode or copied it?

When you guys made the cash back claim did you cut out the barcode or copied it?

Mathers just photocoppied the bar code and said include that. They have done that with all of the units they have sold and have had no reported issues. Don't take my word for it though as if this doesn't work I'll blame Mathers..lol

I took my son out to the beach for the first time on the weekend.

GF1 20mm

How old mate, my little boy is at this stage and he is 7 months. It's a good feeling isn't it..!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back