Picked up my new camera today....a GF1

Status
Not open for further replies.
With these adaptors and using those lens can the camera still auto focus etc? I would of though the lens will look too big on the GF1

With these adaptors and using those lens can the camera still auto focus etc? I would of though the lens will look too big on the GF1

Manual focus, but it's surprisingly easy with liveview.

As for size, yes they look big (unless you use Leica or Voigtlander lenses :D) -- remember you also have the depth of the adapter that has to push the sensor as far back as it would be on the Nikon or whatever body.

Some of them do look rather huge!! I am well pleased with my Canon FD 50mm f1.4 though. manual focus but use the aperture ring on the lens.

Looks great too.. specially with a nice brown "leather" case!!!

Shame about Manual focus....

So only way to get full feature of the GF1 is using panasonic Lens? What about the panasonic lens adaptor and using 4/3 lens onto the adaptor to conver to micro 4/3 is this still the same will only have manuel focus?

Some of them do look rather huge!! I am well pleased with my Canon FD 50mm f1.4 though. manual focus but use the aperture ring on the lens.

Looks great too.. specially with a nice brown "leather" case!!!

Which adaptor your using and how much was it? where from and where did you get a canon 50mm FD lens as I am interested in this combination if it not too much...

Which adaptor your using and how much was it? where from and where did you get a canon 50mm FD lens as I am interested in this combination if it not too much...

canon fd to m43 adapter from ebay.. get a metal one.. about £22ish

50mm f1.4 on here i think.. but you can look out on ebay too. about £50ish

Note - there is no way you will get ... aperture control from a lens that has a mount other than 4/3 or m4/3

...unless you have an old lens with an aperture ring, or a new Novoflex adapter for Minolta, Nikon, or Pentax mount. Just spin the ring rather than the control dial. :)

you will get aperture control if the lens has a ring though wont you?

Sorry, was referring to the lenses where the aperture is controlled entirely by the camera such as newer Nikon, canon EF, sony mount etc.

Sorry, was referring to the lenses where the aperture is controlled entirely by the camera such as newer Nikon, canon EF, sony mount etc.

Look at the new Novoflex adapters (Nikon, Pentax, and Minolta). See the list I posted a page back.

Ah I see.

Why don't Novaflex do Canon EF when they do all other major brands.

Ah I see.

Why don't Novaflex do Canon EF when they do all other major brands.

I suspect it's because Nikon lenses have a mechanical aperture linkage, even on G lenses. Given the difference in camera depth it's relatively easy to add an aperture ring on the adapter.

No doubt someone will correct me but don't think the EOS mount has a mechanical aperture link???, in which case you'd need an electrical connection in the adapter making it more complex.

Hi,

Sorry missed your post before.

I have used the clearviewer. I found it reasonably good but not amazing. I must admit I haven't really used it since I got a G1 in addition to my GF1 for times when I need a viewfinder. It does make the screen viewable in bright sunlight, though you sometimes have to shield it a little.

No doubt someone will correct me but don't think the EOS mount has a mechanical aperture link???, in which case you'd need an electrical connection in the adapter making it more complex.

100% correct. EOS is entirely electronic communication between lens and camera.

Are there other mainstream manufacturers (apart from nikon) that also have a mechanical linkage on their AF lenses?

Last edited:
Despite selling my GF1 (on multiple occasions, lol) I keep a close eye on this thread and I have to say some of the pictures are really good. I upgraded for better image quality and to fit in better at camera club but I miss my little GF1 - especially when I'm lugging around a full DSLR and lenses.

Anyway I was wondering what you guys thought of the new Olympus E-P2 - I love the old style 35mm body of the E-P1 (not sure if the E-P2 comes in silver). One thing I do remember seeing when the GF1 first came out was a comparison in which the reviewers felt the Olympus had better dynamic range. It's also a tempting buy just based on the viewfinder.

Thoughts?

Last edited by a moderator:

I took my son out to the beach for the first time on the weekend.

GF1 20mm

How old mate, my little boy is at this stage and he is 7 months. It's a good feeling isn't it..!

He's 6 months almost. It's a great feeling. Changes your perspective on everything.

Must have been quite low light too, judging by the lights on the other side of the bay.

Love the picture too.

Thanks mate. Yes, this was taken just after sunset in Dundee.

My GF1 arrived today. It's a lovely looking piece of kit, I'll be coming back for advice!

Congratulations mate. I'm sure you will enjoy it and take many shots with it.

You could start of with one of the dog..lol
(y)

Well, I've been hankering for awhile, nearly did it a little time ago and finally gave in and bought a GF1 today...having sold my dust collecting D300s on here earlier. Now here's the dilemma, I bought a 14-45mm lens kit from the shop and they've given me a 20mm lens kit for the same price - keep or return?!

The major issue is time really, I'm away on holiday to Spain early next week so no time to sort out bigger lenses or adaptors :)

Well, I've been hankering for awhile, nearly did it a little time ago and finally gave in and bought a GF1 today...having sold my dust collecting D300s on here earlier. Now here's the dilemma, I bought a 14-45mm lens kit from the shop and they've given me a 20mm lens kit for the same price - keep or return?!

The major issue is time really, I'm away on holiday to Spain early next week so no time to sort out bigger lenses or adaptors :)

Hey wibbly, welcome to the club - hope my advice helped you decide (y)

I'd be tempted to keep it unless it causes you grief with warranty etc in the event of an issue.

Saved a few quid if you do decide to keep it anyway :LOL:

Hey Alan I think you have certainly been some inspiration for my decision :)

I am tempted I have to say and yes, I am thinking about warranty...

But....... :LOL:

I spose if the invoice says 20mm kit and all the numbers tie up then you will be ok...

I fthe invoice says 14-45 kit and you try and return a 20mm kit in the event of an issue you will be screwed :bonk:

I guess you're right :shake:

Looks like a phone call in the morning and another 30 mile round trip assuming they have the correct product in stock :thinking:

I think in hindsight the 14-45mm lens will do me prouder at present until I get on my feet with it :)

I guess you're right :shake:

Looks like a phone call in the morning and another 30 mile round trip assuming they have the correct product in stock :thinking:

I think in hindsight the 14-45mm lens will do me prouder at present until I get on my feet with it :)

You could always call them and explain, see what they have to say - if they will honour any problems in the future all well and good.

If you lay it on thick, they may let you return it for the 14-45 and throw in a little something for your extra travelling expenses and honesty (y)

I'll call them in the morning and explain the problem, at the end of the day I hate dishonesty and so I would never lie straight in bed thinking about it to be honest!

If they want to honour it then great otherwise I'll bounce on down there tomorrow and swap it over assuming they have one, which I am assuming they have.

Now then, Sigma lens mounts so I can mount my 10-20mm lens, any ideas? :)

Now then, Sigma lens mounts so I can mount my 10-20mm lens, any ideas? :)

Sigma lens mounts???? Assuming it's for your D300, you just need a Nikon adapter. Speedgraphic (www.speedgraphic.co.uk) shipped my Novoflex within the hour and I got it next day.

Sorry one of the other gang members will need to assist - I am a m4/3 lens purist me (y)

I like the idea, but not the prices :D I want to give it a go having seen a pic of a GF1 on the end of a Sigma 10-20mm, or was it t'other way round :LOL:

Sigma lens mounts???? Assuming it's for your D300, you just need a Nikon adapter. Speedgraphic (www.speedgraphic.co.uk) shipped my Novoflex within the hour and I got it next day.

Thanks dude, will check them out. Wonder if they can get me one here for Saturday :eek: (y)

Are there other mainstream manufacturers (apart from nikon) that also have a mechanical linkage on their AF lenses?

Not sure about a full list but I guess Pentax and Sony/ Minolta as the info for the Novoflex adapters says:

"Nikon, Pentax K and Sony adaptors have a rotating control ring to allow lenses with no manual aperture setting (e.g. Nikon G-series) to be stopped down." from the Speedgraphic link above.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back