Picked up my new camera today....a GF1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Must have been quite low light too, judging by the lights on the other side of the bay.

Love the picture too.

Good priorities - alongside some amazing shots. Really like the crossing - simple and yes, square crop works well.

Aside from this, I bet you never though this thread would clear 3000 posts!

It is a great thread and proof that the camera transcends a lot of kit.

Even Panasonic are aware of this thread.

Thanks mate. I'm glad I had a portable highly capable camera with me to shoot this, I don't really carry my big heavy 5d2 around for family occasions or any other social event unless it's an assignment. The GF1 actively makes you want to go out and take photographs. And having a camera with you more often inevitably leads to you being able to capture moments like this more often.

My sentiments exactly in a nutshell - not missing my 7D yet either !!!

Taken Auto on Flower GF1 20mm and severely cropped....

I think that is probably the best shot I've seen from you oldboy, well done sir

Is there a lens that is good for portrait other than the 20mm something bigger so not in the face with camera. That is fast too

Is that one for you bag too mate?

But is there no other ways? people keep mentioning adaptors and using different other brands that can fit??? I am new to this as I normally work with Full Dslr which is pain free at shopping...

Also am I right in thinking that the picture that display on the GF1 does not do justice better looking at it on PC?

That looks a nice bit of kit mate...lol

The 7-14mm is expensive though!

You will end up spending more than you spent on your stuff you just sold at this rate.

That looks a nice bit of kit mate...lol

The 7-14mm is expensive though!

You will end up spending more than you spent on your stuff you just sold at this rate.

But is there no other ways? people keep mentioning adaptors and using different other brands that can fit??? I am new to this as I normally work with Full Dslr which is pain free at shopping...

Also am I right in thinking that the picture that display on the GF1 does not do justice better looking at it on PC?

you could get something like the Canon FD 50mm 1.4 - I got one for about £50 (adapter is about £20) I think. Manual focus and aperture though.

you could get something like the Canon FD 50mm 1.4 - I got one for about £50 (adapter is about £20) I think. Manual focus and aperture though.

Are you saying this will only work in Aperture mode and Manuel focus.... This does not bother me that much to be honest... What other options??? I am trying to explore what the best we can do without wasting money that we dont need... Just wondering how others are coping with the GF1 for portrait but looks like not many of your do Portraits?

What adaptor do i need for the canon FD lens?

Who are you? my Mum :lol

But alas you are right, if I'm not careful all the money from my Canon gear will be spent on m4/3 stuff :naughty::naughty::naughty::shrug:

Have you only just realised.. :LOL:

It is easy to get carried away but at the same time If your passionate about something it's worth it as life is a little short.
(y)

So can anyone advise me on my question for kit and upgrades?

Do some of you guys find the 20mm a little slow at focus compare to our big kit??

Question:

I currently have a Sigma 10-20mm Nikon fit lens which I have for sale, however would it be worth keeping this lens and using it on the GF1 with the adapter?

Do some of you guys find the 20mm a little slow at focus compare to our big kit??

Focusing will be slower than a dslr due to the technology of m4/3 contrast focusing. Having said that there have only been a handful of times, particularly in lower light, where it has struggled or failed to achieve focus lock

Question:

I currently have a Sigma 10-20mm Nikon fit lens which I have for sale, however would it be worth keeping this lens and using it on the GF1 with the adapter?

Sure you can get an adapter but in reality with the 2x crop making it 20-40 and the fact that it will be manual focus, I personally wouldn't bother

Focusing will be slower than a dslr due to the technology of m4/3 contrast focusing. Having said that there have only been a handful of times, particularly in lower light, where it has struggled or failed to achieve focus lockr

What lens do you plan to get in the forseen future? do sigma lens or the like with the panasonic convertor lose auto focus then? Am I right to obtain all function of the camera it best stick with panasonic lens? As I think Sigma does 4/3 lens that can go on a panasonic convertor to micro 4/3 does this lose feature?

Question:

I use a Sigma 10-20 on the GF1 with an EOS adapter. Cant change the aperture though but as it is a landscape lens you would mostly need a smallish aperture so you set it to F11 or F16 (for instance) on the Nikon then press DOF preview button and take the lens off and fit to the GF1

Sounds a tad weird but it works.. no need buying a new lens for wide. (y)

Anyone done this firmware hack? how easy is it?

Looked at one of these today in Currys, wow what a nice bit of kit!

What is the equivalent range for 14-45mm kit lens compared to a standard DSLR lens? Would a Nikon 50mm Prime lens be adaptable to work on the body?

I'm really finding I don't use my D300s since I bought it due to its size, and something like this may well be a great option for me :)

What is the equivalent range for 14-45mm kit lens compared to a standard DSLR lens? Would a Nikon 50mm Prime lens be adaptable to work on the body?

28-90 on FF, 18-60 on DX

As for the 50, get the latest Novoflex G adapter

do they do canon adapters ?? ;)

Code:
MicroFourThirds | Canon FD          | MFT /CAN
MicroFourThirds | Contax/Yashica    | MFT /CONT
MicroFourThirds | Leica M           | MFT /LEM
MicroFourThirds | Leica R           | MFT /LER
MicroFourThirds | M42               | MFT /CO
MicroFourThirds | Minolta AF / Sony | MFT /MIN -AF **
MicroFourThirds | Minolta MD	    | MFT /MIN -MD
MicroFourThirds | Nikon             | MFT /NI K **
MicroFourThirds | Olympus OM        | MFT /OM
MicroFourThirds | Pentax K          | MFT /PENT **
MicroFourThirds | T2                | MFT /T2

** Integrated aperture control ring at the adapter; also suitable for electronic lenses without manual aperture control ring

http://www.novoflex.com/de/info/download/+/file/dabla_adapter_neu_2009_e-web.pdf/

Last edited:
OH BOO! I meant canon ef lenses. i will have to stick to FD's then! Thanks anyway:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back