Picked up my new camera today....a GF1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Having recently sold all my dslr gear, I was pleasantly surprised how liberating/refreshing it was to clear out a cupboard full of stuff and replace it with 2 small lowepro bags of lumix g kit.

It feels like an enormous weight has been lifted from me - cos I am not constantly worrying that my gadgets were not being used enough to justify having them!

Didn't last long as the wife spotted the empty space and put some handbags in there.

Currently researching some new hobby or another as the money is burning a hole in my pocket :LOL:

Last edited:
If this wee camera makes me want to take pics again, then I personally think it's going to be better for me than DLSR which is a door stop. I'll keep my Nikkor 50mm 1.8 if I need a little reach (effective 100mm on m4/3's?).

Oops... too late, order has went it with Currys :LOL:

Welcome to the fold Swordjo, I sold all my D90 gear and lenses and bought the GF1 what a super camera it is with the 20mm Pancake.

I have now bought a G1 which was going cheap and have the 45-200mm lens on it most of the time, do have 14-45mm which the two cameras can share.

Have never missed my Nikon D90

(y)

It feels like an enormous weight has been lifted from me - cos I am not constantly worrying that my gadgets were not being used enough to justify having them!

Obviously I can't confirm this (as i've not got the camera yet) but I get the feeling I will be the same. Won't feel as bad if the camera is alway with me, even if I take bad shots,I'll at least still be taking them!

I will be sure to post up up a few when I get it.

Obviously I can't confirm this (as i've not got the camera yet) but I get the feeling I will be the same. Won't feel as bad if the camera is alway with me, even if I take bad shots,I'll at least still be taking them!

I will be sure to post up up a few when I get it.

You'll definitly still be taking them! It's just sucha wondefully accessible camera - I really do rate the concept very highly and the camer has got me right back into my photography again.

Wild life is out of the question for me due to imobility, caught this one suddenly in the back garden using the G1 and 45-200mm lens...

I know it's in this massive thread somewhere, but what firmware version should I be using when I get it? (if it's not up to date that is).

cheers and don't worry I won't be asking 100's of questions :LOL:

I know it's in this massive thread somewhere, but what firmware version should I be using when I get it? (if it's not up to date that is).

cheers and don't worry I won't be asking 100's of questions :LOL:

This thread just gets bigger and better...

Wild life is out of the question for me due to imobility, caught this one suddenly in the back garden using the G1 and 45-200mm lens...

That fox has horrendous mange. Is there any way you could get the RSPCA to come out and look at it/take it in?

Not seen it since two foxes got killed on the road just up from us...

I've not been taking many photos of late, as frankly I've just not been that inspired to get behind a camera when I'm not working.

It hadn't really occurred to me that what I wasn't enjoying was more time sat behind a computer processing the results. So, inspired by the "threadfather" I stuck little GeFf onto the film settings, went square and got snapping.

What a joy!!

Lovely stuff, Darren. Love the B&W conversions.

Does anyone have a lcd protector on their GF1? Just a sticky film really is what i mean and do they go on ok without bubbles?

Lovely stuff, Darren. Love the B&W conversions.

Does anyone have a lcd protector on their GF1? Just a sticky film really is what i mean and do they go on ok without bubbles?

I have a GGS screen protector, it's glass so no bubbles and very easy to apply.

I have a GGS screen protector, it's glass so no bubbles and very easy to apply.

Do you have a pic of it fitted and info in the protector?

Mark

Ive got a GSS as well.
Got it from flea-bay. Just look for GSS and GF1.
Brilliant being glass and standing off the LCD. Mine has taken some hammer and been fine.

Cheers mate, would be interesting to see it fitted. Are they better than the plastic ones you stick on etc?

My GF1 was bought used from the forums and came with the GGS protector fitted. Looks professional enough that I originally thought it was part of the camera. Much better than a plastic tear off (y) Nothing with which to take a pic of it here though :)

Do you have a pic of it fitted and info in the protector?

Mark

Just a quick grab

P1020572.jpg

Cheers mate, would be interesting to see it fitted. Are they better than the plastic ones you stick on etc?

Lot better than the plastic ones.

GF1%20%26%20GSS%20protector.jpg

Sorry about the size, you cant see it on a small pic.

And to offset that pic, here's another from today.

Perfect .. but if it got scratched and then you wanted to sell the GF1.. would you be able to take it off to reveal a nice unscratched screen?

Perfect .. but if it got scratched and then you wanted to sell the GF1.. would you be able to take it off to reveal a nice unscratched screen?

You can remove them with a piece of dental floss, slide it under the corner and work it along until the screen comes off. Any residue (and there probably wont be any) can be removed with lighter fluid or similar.

I bought one a couple of years ago for a Fuji camera. It was absolute rubbish. They stick to the outside of the screen and hold on very well, so well in fact that I have never been able to get it off when I found how useless it was. The lift up flap obscures your view and is a real hinderance. It didn't help me to see the screen in sunlight either. Just about the worst thing I ever bought.:nono::bang:

I bought one a couple of years ago for a Fuji camera. It was absolute rubbish. They stick to the outside of the screen and hold on very well, so well in fact that I have never been able to get it off when I found how useless it was. The lift up flap obscures your view and is a real hinderance. It didn't help me to see the screen in sunlight either. Just about the worst thing I ever bought.:nono::bang:

I just had a feeling!! (y)

Thank you..!

Just ordered one from Amazon for £6.99 delivered. I can get rid of that almost frosted plastic one now...

Allan

I'm sitting here like a wee boy desperate to have a go with my GF1... due to come tomorrow, i'm like a kid on Christmas Eve :LOL:

Anybody tired the cheapo ND8 46mm filter from eBay?

I'm sitting here like a wee boy desperate to have a go with my GF1... due to come tomorrow, i'm like a kid on Christmas Eve :LOL:

Anybody tired the cheapo ND8 46mm filter from eBay?

I see the curse of the double post is still alive and well on this thread! (seems to be the only one which does it??:thinking:)

I'm not really into the kind of photography which would require the use of a strongish ND filter (ie seascapes, waterfalls etc), but wouldn't mind giving it a go. I don't want to be spending £30+ on a filter that may never see the light of day(see what i did there :LOL: )

I don't mind spending money on something I know I will use right enough (y)

:D You and me both! Just in time for a wet weekend in the Welsh mountains (y)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back