SHARE YOUR FILM SHOOTING OUTINGS HERE - Communal Thread (warning, may be picture heavy)

It was a right faff, it's not obvious from the photo but that ledge is about 1m above the river and not very wide so I had to take the lens out to set the aperture because I didn't want to change the composition by spinning it around and then trying to get it back to the same place again.
A gold star for effort then, so the light leak disappointment must have been even worse. :eek:

Another Bronica SQ-Ai outing on Dartmoor today, Bank Holiday will delay the film but here are a couple of the setups. I'll post the shots when I get them back, Provia 100F in a 645 back.

View attachment 355598

View attachment 355599
Ok, the film is back, amazing really Provia processed and scanned back in my inbox within 24 hours. Thanks to Chris Chapman at Spectrum Photolabs in Plymouth http://www.spectrumphotolabs.co.uk/. A quick run through LR and PS and here we go, one from each location.

002-76850002.jpg

012-76850012.jpg

This was really just a location scouting mission not sure yet which of the 8 locations I will use.

Last edited:
Ok, the film is back, amazing really Provia processed and scanned back in my inbox within 24 hours. Thanks to Chris Chapman at Spectrum Photolabs in Plymouth http://www.spectrumphotolabs.co.uk/. A quick run through LR and PS and here we go, one from each location.

View attachment 355658

View attachment 355659

This was really just a location scouting mission not sure yet which of the 8 locations I will use.

That lab's done a good job, Paul. I couldn't see an option for download/email on their site, only CD or an expensive thumb drive!

That lab's done a good job, Paul. I couldn't see an option for download/email on their site, only CD or an expensive thumb drive!
Once you have ordered before payment there is an option for comments box, I put the request in there somethin like "No CD required, WeTransfer is fine" I also ask for best res TIFFs for the scan. He doesn't show that option on the website either but I rang him and asked for it and he was happy to do it at the same price as high res JPG.

Finished up the first batch of portraits yesterday! All the film has been developed and scanned (50 sheets of 5x4 and 25 sheets of 10x8) now I have to whittle it down and do some file prep. I’ve come away from this with two main thoughts:

- 10x8 is glorious but a pain in the arse
- 5x4 is quite convenient and very smooth sailing in comparison. The dev -> scan/print workflow is even easier than rollfilm.

0D61647E-1A10-4B20-975A-FBB957AF63D7.jpeg

Film holder not fully inserted here but luckily the final photographs aren’t too affected by the forced crop!

- 10x8 is glorious but a pain in the arse
- 5x4 is quite convenient and very smooth sailing in comparison.

I have to confess that I too find 10x8 ‘hard work’ compared to 5x4, the latter being very easy to work with in all areas from loading of film holders through to the enlarging to make a print.

Personally the primary difficulty I find with 10x8 is actually working with the camera , in particular the expanse of groundglass and the focusing etc of the corresponding image

There is imo a huge difference in working with the two formats .
More difficult maybe, or perhaps it’s simply what one has become more comfortable with.

5x7 ( or 13x18cm like I also use), remains a comfortable format and poses no real issues whilst offering an intermediate sized negative.
In addition , it offers a different ratio which , depending on subject matter, can be more pleasing than the nigh on square shape of 5x4 and 10x8 .

Much as I love the large 10x8 negatives, I find myself more regularly leaving home with a smaller large format outfit knowing that a quality 16x20 print is easily achievable based on a 4x enlargement of the neg.

This isn’t to say that I dislike 10x8, quite the contrary, however…….

Last edited:
I have to confess that I too find 10x8 ‘hard work’ compared to 5x4, the latter being very easy to work with in all areas from loading of film holders through to the enlarging to make a print.

Personally the primary difficulty I find with 10x8 is actually working with the camera , in particular the expanse of groundglass and the focusing etc of the corresponding image

There is imo a huge difference in working with the two formats .
More difficult maybe, or perhaps it’s simply what one has become more comfortable with.

5x7 ( or 13x18cm like I also use), remains a comfortable format and poses no real issues whilst offering an intermediate sized negative.
In addition , it offers a different ratio which , depending on subject matter, can be more pleasing than the nigh on square shape of 5x4 and 10x8 .

Much as I love the large 10x8 negatives, I find myself more regularly leaving home with a smaller large format outfit knowing that a quality 16x20 print is easily achievable based on a 4x enlargement of the neg.

This isn’t to say that I dislike 10x8, quite the contrary, however…….

It's the opposite for me, aside from the obvious drawback of size/weight I find it much easier to compose and focus on a larger groundglass. It's developing and scanning that's the main headache, it takes me about 4 hours to do 10 sheets of 10x8. I think the next step will be to get a Jobo tank and a 20th C insert so I can do 4 in one shot. Or maybe just slow down even more so I don't have to dev+scan so much. :LOL:

It's the opposite for me, aside from the obvious drawback of size/weight I find it much easier to compose and focus on a larger groundglass. It's developing and scanning that's the main headache, it takes me about 4 hours to do 10 sheets of 10x8. I think the next step will be to get a Jobo tank and a 20th C insert so I can do 4 in one shot. Or maybe just slow down even more so I don't have to dev+scan so much. :LOL:
4 hours to Dev and scan ten sheets??!!

That’s quite an achievement in my eyes.

Based on souping one sheet at a time, it would take me at the very minimum 15 minutes to have one negative hanging up to dry so that already equates to two and a half hours just to have the developing stage completed.

It’s a while since I scanned a 10x8 neg but say it takes 9 minutes to obtain a good resolution file, that’s the other hour and a half.

Speed is the last thing on my mind when doing LF , the slow approach ( very slow in my case) to the whole process of obtaining an exposure and print from the format is what appeals to me the most.

4 hours to Dev and scan ten sheets??!!

That’s quite an achievement in my eyes.

Based on souping one sheet at a time, it would take me at the very minimum 15 minutes to have one negative hanging up to dry so that already equates to two and a half hours just to have the developing stage completed.

It’s a while since I scanned a 10x8 neg but say it takes 9 minutes to obtain a good resolution file, that’s the other hour and a half.

Speed is the last thing on my mind when doing LF , the slow approach ( very slow in my case) to the whole process of obtaining an exposure and print from the format is what appeals to me the most.

Oh no, that's just dev only! I can do two at a time (I use a Paterson Orbital and Stearman SP810), takes me about 30 minutes to do two, dry off the tanks and reload them for another go. In about the same time I can almost dev a whole box of 5x4. I hang the sheets to dry overnight.

~9 mins here for scanning too.

It's not so much speed, more like it's a lot of extra effort for results that aren't actually much different to 5x4. The effort of 5x4 over 120 is justified and it's easier to scan than 120, but 10x8 over 5x4 is a bit harder to justify (especially considering I have access to an Imacon for 5x4). I won't be selling my 10x8 kit any time soon though, it's definitely a heart over head format for me and the dynamic it creates between myself and the people I collaborate with is quite nice. If I manage to make a nice rig to hold my 10x8 sheets for scanning I'll be less grumpy about it.

I actually captured a young lady too ( I can dream :naughty::exit::LOL:) playing an instrument that resembles something in between a guitar and a harp.

She was intrigued with the camera slung over my shoulder in a similar way that the instrument intrigued me.

Anyway she requested a portrait and although I prefer head/ shoulder shots, I think this composition may work reasonably well .

So we all know what I’ll be occupying myself with during the coming days…..

2C3D24BA-34ED-4561-8EA2-4D6C5A4F4E3B.jpeg5C0B11FA-FDF3-4F33-9DA3-BBE35F4B72EE.jpeg

I actually captured a young lady too ( I can dream :naughty::exit::LOL:) playing an instrument that resembles something in between a guitar and a harp.

She was intrigued with the camera slung over my shoulder in a similar way that the instrument intrigued me.

Anyway she requested a portrait and although I prefer head/ shoulder shots, I think this composition may work reasonably well .

So we all know what I’ll be occupying myself with during the coming days…..

View attachment 357085View attachment 357086
One print made ( a straight grade 3 )

Reasonably pleased with it tbh.
I personally like the very dark backdrop which makes the young lady stand proud ( or sit proud seeing as she’s sat! :rolleyes:) even if the top of the instrument is ahidden slightly in the darkness.

I would have liked a little more empty space to the left but the background is too untidy to include in the photo .

I’ll assess the dry result tomorrow and see about making a copy to offer the lady as a small gift for her time and patience.

Do you guys reckon it’s good to go as it is or would you suggest some tweaking?

Open to advice and ideas , not that I’m forced to adopt them of course ;)

87812F30-1BE3-4924-84CC-C1819675D4E2.jpeg

EDIT:

Here’s a squeegeed image of the print which offers a more realistic view of what the end photo will look like
9A7D4CA3-F9E1-4F8C-A540-E95F596E82FE.jpeg

Last edited:
Been clearing up and clearing out. The profit from selling gouging some vista on ebay paid for a new bag for the lf so since I was packing it I decided to let the girls have a shot. Slightly stressful but still fun couple of hours. Luckily I only had a few holders loaded or they'd have bankrupt me!

PXL_20220625_161111330.jpg

Been clearing up and clearing out. The profit from selling gouging some vista on ebay paid for a new bag for the lf so since I was packing it I decided to let the girls have a shot. Slightly stressful but still fun couple of hours. Luckily I only had a few holders loaded or they'd have bankrupt me!

View attachment 358517
Good to see you back mr Blix! :p

Bankrupt?, wait til they demand colour slide film !!! :oops: :$:ROFLMAO:

Good to see you back mr Blix! :p

Bankrupt?, wait til they demand colour slide film !!! :oops: :$:ROFLMAO:

Don't, I've got a box of Provia in the fridge and I've not had the nerve to shoot any more of it as I'm not entirely convinced the wee ..... haven't opened it!

Cheers Dude, good to see everyone still around.

View attachment 358517
Fomapan weather to beat the reciprocity? Good to see you back again.:)

Fomapan weather to beat the reciprocity? Good to see you back again.:)
Cheers dude.

Addox chs II. Uncharted territory for me. Couldn't even find my film/soup combo on the massive dev chart, really off the reservation!

Souped the first 4 from today well tried. When I first started I realised I'd not used enough developer (added more quickly) and all my jugs have gone walkies. Results One is blank, didn't expose, and one is from last year. Messing up this large format stuff is like riding a bike, you never forget how!

@steveo_mcg So what is that camera? A wista?

Have you still got the monorail ?

Nah moved the monorail on, 've had the shen hao for a few years now. Got tired of assembling my camera every time I stopped, it's bad enough unfolding them!

Cheers dude.

Addox chs II. Uncharted territory for me. Couldn't even find my film/soup combo on the massive dev chart, really off the reservation!

Souped the first 4 from today well tried. When I first started I realised I'd not used enough developer (added more quickly) and all my jugs have gone walkies. Results One is blank, didn't expose, and one is from last year. Messing up this large format stuff is like riding a bike, you never forget how!

Nah moved the monorail on, 've had the shen hao for a few years now. Got tired of assembling my camera every time I stopped, it's bad enough unfolding them!
You need a chamonix 45h-1

It’s permanent set up style is the primary reason I hold onto mine as it does come in handy.

Unfortunately the bellows draw isn’t huge but I will say that it is very nice to use.
The movements are incredibly smooth and precise.
The only other LF camera I’ve used that comes close was my horseman LE monorail which had geared rise/ fall etc but I moved that on for similar reasons to yourself.

Today I share my frustration!

Been out most of the day , in scorching temperatures I might add with the lightest LF kit I have available, the 5x4 abs intrepid.

Walked a fair bit, come across a few photo opportunities but none that I’ve successfully been able to obtain due to wind :headbang:

Much as it’s pleasant to have a breeze given the heat, this valley seems to have a persistant draft all year round which makes working LF nigh on impossible .:confused:

Exhausted from my futile attempts to battle against the elements, I’m heading back into the village now, and probably home unless by chance I see a potential shot where I can set up in a sheltered location. :crying:EC5A98B5-9770-407E-BFD2-CDC99BD44310.jpeg

Last edited:

Been out most of the day , in scorching temperatures I might add with the lightest LF kit I have available, the 5x4 abs intrepid.

Walked a fair bit, come across a few photo opportunities but none that I’ve successfully been able to obtain due to wind :headbang:

Much as it’s pleasant to have a breeze given the heat, this valley seems to have a persistant draft all year round which makes working LF nigh on impossible .:confused:

Exhausted from my futile attempts to battle against the elements, I’m heading back into the village now, and probably home unless by chance I see a potential shot where I can set up in a sheltered location. :crying:View attachment 359411
Scorching temperatures is it Asha? On Thursday afternoon I left the blue sky and very pleasant 19.5C of the Onich caravan site to go up the White Corries chairlift in Glencoe, where it was raining and 12C at ground level. I thought that I must get a bit of decent light at the top if I gave it some time, yet it was not to be. Here's me trying to convince the Glencoe weather gods to give me just a couple of minutes of decent light to try out Gold 200 in my Selfix 16-20, but just ignored. :rolleyes:

20220630_142852 copy.jpg

Exhausted from my futile attempts to battle against the elements, I’m heading back into the village now, and probably home unless by chance I see a potential shot where I can set up in a sheltered location. :crying:View attachment 359411
Its been blowing irritatingly for the last six weeks. Having ridden the mtb all winter in the mud and crud I've barely used it this summer despite the trails being dry and running well it's just been so windy.

Scorching temperatures is it Asha? On Thursday afternoon I left the blue sky and very pleasant 19.5C of the Onich caravan site to go up the White Corries chairlift in Glencoe, where it was raining and 12C at ground level. I thought that I must get a bit of decent light at the top if I gave it some time, yet it was not to be. Here's me trying to convince the Glencoe weather gods to give me just a couple of minutes of decent light to try out Gold 200 in my Selfix 16-20, but just ignored. :rolleyes:

View attachment 359419
It rained cos you took a camera…… some folk will never learn!!:facepalm::LOL::LOL:

Its been blowing irritatingly for the last six weeks. Having ridden the mtb all winter in the mud and crud I've barely used it this summer despite the trails being dry and running well it's just been so windy.

Well this is why you Scots are hardened folk :LOL:

I have very fond memories of my lengthy walks in the Highlands and Islands.

Less pleasant recollections are of the many soakings I got and ‘forced’ bivouacs in damp clothing and sleeping bag which sometimes never got opportunity to dry out in the persistent rains.

That said, there was never a time if I was seen trudging or should that say wading lol, along an isolated mountain road having descended from the high ground , where a local wouldn’t pick me up ( at times transporting me in the trailer with the sheepdog who ensured I behaved myself! Pmsl)

Offered a comfy night in a barn and supplied with enough tea and cake to keep me going for a month!

Superb hospitality.

Welcome to the best bit of the forum.

Had a drive down one of glens to see if I could get a few frames with the rb. Went for the nothing is photogenic more than 30ft from the car but even that was tough. Light was against me and couldn't really find anything despite the whole area being lovely!

Attachments

• PXL_20220713_202519695.jpg
    PXL_20220713_202519695.jpg
    211.7 KB · Views: 19
  • PXL_20220713_192945287.jpg
    PXL_20220713_192945287.jpg
    281.2 KB · Views: 19
It's not been the best of weather for film shooting of late but today I managed to get my Bronica out on Dartmoor loaded with Provia 100F (it'll be a while before I have scans).

008 Tavy Cleave (Broni Setup) 03-9415 PS Adj.JPG

018 Tavy Cleave Rocks (Bronica Setup) 01-9436 PS Adj.JPG

026 Rattlebrook (Bronica Setup) 01-9448 PS Adj.JPG

I did 6 compositions 2 shots per comp but I didn't photograph every setup I though tit would be overkill. I took 5 lenses, 40mm, 50mm, 65mm, 80mm and 150mm and used them all on the walk.

No mountains for me but light drizzle... "Outing" to the bottom of the garden in front of the shed darkroom with my new C3.

IMG_20221203_131049813.jpg

1st film through the camera and some self portraits taken with outstretched arm and cable release. Reluctant daughter as subject for focusing as long as I didn't actually photograph her.

Will post outcome in right thread whether good, bad or indifferent.

Just caught up on this thread. You're all doing things with developing etc that is way above my knowledge base but all interesting nonetheless :)
Long time since I did any film developing Lee, I leave that to a lab therse days and just enjoy the taking. I do a bit of PP with the scans (large size TIFFs) once I get them back but sadly the lab I like to use has downsized recently and no longer does E6, I used to post the films on Tuesday and get scans in my email by Friday the same week but the new labs I have tried now have a 2 week turnaround.

Back