The Fabulous Fuji X owners thread

A selection of my favourite shots from 2021. Not as much variety as usual, for obvious reasons - three from one evening up the Shard, five other shots of London, plus four from the family house in Italy. Merry Christmas everyone!

Pics2021 by Ian, on Flickr

Just for a second I thought that big white building was the family house in Italy, until I recognised it as Kenwood House! :D

Thanks, Donna :)

Hell yeah, but it`s gonna be tough with one ep a week ...

X-H1, vintage 200mm F4 [not very big, Nikon AI] plus adapter, Laowa 65mm macro, Fuji XC35 F2 .... standard flash , rocket blower, spare batts and a bit of spare room [in case of [very likely] another lens or flash]

What bag?

Last edited:
X-H1, vintage 200mm F4 [not very big, Nikon AI] plus adapter, Laowa 65mm macro, Fuji XC35 F2 .... standard flash , rocket blower, spare batts and a bit of spare room [in case of [very likely] another lens or flash]

What bag?
It depends very much on your requirements and budget. Do you prefer a shoulder bag, a sling style bag, a back pack? Budget? Amazon do a lot of reasonably priced camera bags for each of those categories. Lowepro, Manfrotto, Think Tank, Billingham etc. are more expensive better quality options. Only you can answer the question based on your needs. I have about 10 bags that are used regularly for different needs from single camera/lens holsters for travelling light to full backpacks for when I need to take everything out with me.

What bag?
If you lay the kit out on the floor/or table, as to how it would be packed. It might give a better clue.

I`ve got a LowePro Taho as my main bag, Which I usually have my H1, 16-55, 80mm macro and still space for the 23 or 56 if I want (so easy a flash). Also got a little zippy bit for spare batts etc etc

Last edited:
For anyone hunting shutter counts on their Fuji`s.
I found this great little place...
https://greybeard.org.uk/exif/
I Just tried it, and it`s super easy, and works with either jpeg or raw files. It`s all done in browser, so no uploading or downloading. Clicking on the thumbnail also gives you the focus point. :)

Last edited:
The shutter count info is in the EXIF and PIE shows it as Image Count in the Fujifilm section. PIE is a very useful tool so worth downloading anyway.

I just thought it was a quick and easy solution to find the shutter count. I agree that exif viewers are worth downloading for some people. :)

What bag?

As mentioned above, it depends on the application and what's going in it. I have a "grab bag" which is shoulder bag style, which has T3 with the 10-24, plus the 35 f1.4 and 50-140. 1 spare battery, a lens cloth, and a couple of filters (well, ND10 & holder).

I also have a Think Tank "Streetwalker" backpack, for my T3 & 100-400 fitted, with 2 batteries and my 1.4TC.

If I'm going out on a big photo day, I use a larger Lowepro backpack to take multiple bodies, lenses, flash etc.

Finally, I have a small Billingham, which I use for the T2 & 35 f1.4 and maybe another lens if we're visiting family etc (it's just a nicer looking bag).

I can get my 12" iPad into the Billingham or Lowepro, I can get my iPad Mini into the other two bags.

So, as I mentioned, it really does depend on the application. I also have a Manfrotto roller case that I use when on holiday, so I can take a lot of kit, then use another bag when we actually go out.

Barely any difference in size or weight. I keep a 12mm, 18-55mm, and 55-200mm in my "take everywhere" bag - I just removed the 55-200mm and put this in it's place without moving dividers etc.

I've got no way to accurately test the AF, but it does feel snappier for what it's worth. It's certainly quieter and seems more "confident". OIS seems much more effective - at 300mm I can handhold at speeds which were my limit on the 55-200mm.

Build quality is excellent. Where the 55-200mm is built from premium materials, it ultimately feels quite delicate - This is the opposite. It's plastic, but feels like you could throw it down the stairs. There's no flexing, creaking, or rattles. It feels solid. The hood is also much better, though the one on the 55-200mm was not hard to improve upon - They appear to have completely redesigned the mechanism, it feels much more sturdy now.

Focus and zoom rings feel much better than the 55-200mm, and the aperture ring is much firmer - I tend to adjust by reaching across and wheeling it with my right middle finger while holding the camera in shooting position, but it's a struggle to do that with this one. That's not a bad thing though. No chance of accidentally changing it, and it just adds to the premium feel.

Optically, I can't compare it since my 55-200mm was faulty. It certainly seems very sharp to me throughout the range even wide open. If I were really pixel peeping, it may be a little weaker at the very limit of the long end (past around 250mm), but still very good even then. I haven't noticed any flaring or CA in any of my shots so far. The only drawback reviews talk about is the onion ring bokeh when specular lights are out of focus. I've just tested against some sparkly tinsel at the other end of the room and while it won't win any awards, it certainly isn't going to ruin your photo's that's for sure. This test shot was at 300mm wide open -

View attachment 338800

Oh, and an honourable mention to the minimum focus distance. This thing is really good for close up work.

View attachment 338805

Hope that helps!
Thanks very much for that, much appreciated. I'll do some thinking. I'd had the feeling that it was bigger and heavier so hadn't paid much attention to it.
Not sure I should be thanking you actually..

Various sources seem pretty certain we have a 40MP stacked sensor on the way in two new bodies. XH-2 which will be like the A9 and be great for sports/action plus a more video centric body, personally I’m bloody excited by this !!!! Almost grabbed a GFX 50Sii today but then heard about the stacked sensor.

For anyone hunting shutter counts on their Fuji`s.
I found this great little place...
https://greybeard.org.uk/exif/
I Just tried it, and it`s super easy, and works with either jpeg or raw files. It`s all done in browser, so no uploading or downloading. Clicking on the thumbnail also gives you the focus point. :)

Photos from my X-E2 show Shutter Count: N/A. Not sure if the site doesn't support it or if it's just too old.

Various sources seem pretty certain we have a 40MP stacked sensor on the way in two new bodies. XH-2 which will be like the A9 and be great for sports/action plus a more video centric body, personally I’m bloody excited by this !!!! Almost grabbed a GFX 50Sii today but then heard about the stacked sensor.

I too am very interested in the H2, but will wait and see if there are any issues before jumping in. I got bitten with the Nikon D750 debacle, so won`t be rushing out again to get a just released body.
As for the GFX 50Sii .... in my dreams. But would be totally wasted on me ;)

I too am very interested in the H2, but will wait and see if there are any issues before jumping in. I got bitten with the Nikon D750 debacle, so won`t be rushing out again to get a just released body.
As for the GFX 50Sii .... in my dreams. But would be totally wasted on me ;)
I actually think you’d make better use of the GFX than me with your brilliant still life work

I actually think you’d make better use of the GFX than me with your brilliant still life work

Oh jeeze, Pete. Thank you :)

I`d have to chop everything in, and hopefully manage to get one lens with it. Or you could get one, and sell it to me really cheap haha ;)

Had a quick ish family trip out to Eltham Palace, this morning. Grabbed a couple of snaps, but tourists just walking through the frame all the time erked me a tad ;) Anyway here`s one from the entrance bridge.

H1 16-55 Processing is kinda marmite, but I like it.

Eltham Palace by Paulie-W, on Flickr

"Street Performer (17)"

Just a simple candid street style Fujigraph captured at London UK of a mail vocalist doing a bit of street singing.
I've deliberately gone for a higher contrast presentation to this snap because I feel it's better suited to this type of photography and I'm trying to create a more journalistic approach to my street style snaps.

Street Performer (17)-03598 by G.K.Jnr., on Flickr

:ty: for looking., (y):fuji:

Back