The Fabulous Fuji X owners thread

Hello. Can I pick your brains about storage?
So, my hard drive is full and I'm left scratching my head thinking is there a better way with cloud storage. I have iCloud storage for 240Gb and standard Lightroom storage (I find this very handy for storing those edits but I'm lazy in backing them up to something else).
I'd be interested to know what everyone else uses and the pros and cons that you see.
Prices in all storage seem to gone up lots since I last looked at this!
Thanks
Good timing for this, as I've just got a 10tb WD elements (desktop) from the WD store.
I have had two 4tb's in the past, but not much space left on them now. I decided to take a chance on re-certified, after thinking that they probably get a stiffer checking than the factory ones. Similar to the Fuji refurb shop.
£120 seemed like a chance worth taking. Looked brand new, and no issues after I tested it (y)

@Jelster - I've got a XF 23mmF2 to sell - will be putting in classifieds later this week (if of interest)
I might be interested, if Steve doesn't take you up on it :)
I've been thinking about shifting my 16-55, and the 23 is on the list ;)

So, my hard drive is full and I'm left scratching my head thinking is there a better way with cloud storage. I have iCloud storage for 240Gb and standard Lightroom storage (I find this very handy for storing those edits but I'm lazy in backing them up to something else).
I'd be interested to know what everyone else uses and the pros and cons that you see.
Thanks
You will probably get a better response in the "Computers etc" forum.

But I use a combination of a local Synology NAS and AWS S3 cloud storage - it is probably one of the cheaper cloud solutions, but a pretty manual process.

Thanks

I have Microsoft 365 and use OneDrive as my ‘offsite storage’. Locally I have 2x SSDs in the PC - one the main windows drive and the second is a backup which runs via Syncback Free. I also have Adobe CC but never used the cloud storage. And I have iCloud storage too but not used this for photos on my PC just the photos on my iPhone/ipad.

So for photos at any time I have the originals on C drive, a copy on D drive and the cloud copy in OneDrive.

I also occasionally backup to an external SSD that lives in the safe.

Thanks

I have my camera set to record jpeg & RAW to both cards, and when card 2 is full, it gets kept; card 1 is formatted and becomes card 2, and a new card is added as #1.

In addition to that, I have a 4tb hard drive which everything gets backed up to, and then I used the backed up versions to go through, make edits etc. The edited versions get imported into Apple photos which puts them in my iCloud account, which is what I use as my offsite storage. I will set up some sort of offsite storage for all my shots at some point; either physically by storing my old SD cards elsewhere, or with another online storage account.

You can hold the camera far steadier using the evf. You also get a brighter and clearer view especially in sunlight. You see a larger image and it is far easier to manually focus. It is also easier to see the projected shooting data.

Just gauging if anyone would be interested in a 16-55, as I'm thinking of shifting it. Obviously would go through the appropriate rulings etc :)

I have my camera set to record jpeg & RAW to both cards, and when card 2 is full, it gets kept; card 1 is formatted and becomes card 2, and a new card is added as #1.

In addition to that, I have a 4tb hard drive which everything gets backed up to, and then I used the backed up versions to go through, make edits etc. The edited versions get imported into Apple photos which puts them in my iCloud account, which is what I use as my offsite storage. I will set up some sort of offsite storage for all my shots at some point; either physically by storing my old SD cards elsewhere, or with another online storage account.

Thanks for all your ideas on this one.

@Jelster - I've got a XF 23mmF2 to sell - will be putting in classifieds later this week (if of interest)
David, I'll probably run with the 33 f1.4. Having watched a few Youtube clips and done some reading, I think that will suit my needs, and I can move on my current 35 f1.4 along with my T3 body....

David, I'll probably run with the 33 f1.4. Having watched a few Youtube clips and done some reading, I think that will suit my needs, and I can move on my current 35 f1.4 along with my T3 body....

I always forget that lens exists. Seems like exactly what you're after!

It has arrived. I’ve had an X100S, V and now VI. It is absolutely gorgeous.

More svelte than the Q3 by some margin. Menus are a confusing mess and too complex. Haven’t taken any pictures yet, just busy setting everything up how I like it.
Well, after all that waiting I'm not getting on with it. I'm going to keep my Q3 and sell the X100VI at list price.

The Q3 is simply the better camera for me, and so it should be at 4x the price.

Honest question... Is the Q3 4x as good though?
Only curious, as range finders aren't my cuppa tea :)

Thats a very difficult question to answer - personally I think that both are good value for money (especially now that (At Last) Fuji's are starting to retain some value) - The Leica though has an incredible lens, and handling wise just gets out of the way (it is also very tactile to hold and use). Given that Leica depreciation long term is very low, an original Q bought 8 years ago at the entry list price would stand you about £50-75 per year in depreciation. Until Tik-Tok Fuji's didn't enjoy that sort of level of depreciation.

But as I said its a difficult question to answer. I'm still a fan of Fuji cameras (in fact I'm guilty of buying one X-mount body and 4 lenses in the last 2 months!!), if I you held a gun to my head, and said I could only keep one camera, it would be the Q3, but that doesn't actually answer your question.

Honest question... Is the Q3 4x as good though?
Only curious, as range finders aren't my cuppa tea :)

I wouldn't say the Q3 is 4x as good.

If the Q3 is 100/100, then the X100Vi is 90/100 in my opinion. Hugely capable. But once you've used a Q3, you get used to that extra 10%. As with many things in life, getting an additional 10% on top of something already very good typically costs quite a lot of £££s. Hifi is a good example.

Anyhow, the X100VI is in the classifieds now at list price (no scalping here!)

Thats a very difficult question to answer - personally I think that both are good value for money (especially now that (At Last) Fuji's are starting to retain some value) - The Leica though has an incredible lens, and handling wise just gets out of the way (it is also very tactile to hold and use). Given that Leica depreciation long term is very low, an original Q bought 8 years ago at the entry list price would stand you about £50-75 per year in depreciation. Until Tik-Tok Fuji's didn't enjoy that sort of level of depreciation.

But as I said its a difficult question to answer. I'm still a fan of Fuji cameras (in fact I'm guilty of buying one X-mount body and 4 lenses in the last 2 months!!), if I you held a gun to my head, and said I could only keep one camera, it would be the Q3, but that doesn't actually answer your question.
Horses for courses I guess. I appreciate your honest thoughts on it.
I've never held a Leica, so have no idea on how tactile they are. But the images I have seen are fantastic (y)
Fair shout on deprecation.

I wouldn't say the Q3 is 4x as good.

If the Q3 is 100/100, then the X100Vi is 90/100 in my opinion. Hugely capable. But once you've used a Q3, you get used to that extra 10%. As with many things in life, getting an additional 10% on top of something already very good typically costs quite a lot of £££s. Hifi is a good example.

Anyhow, the X100VI is in the classifieds now at list price (no scalping here!)
I can totally get the hifi analogy. Kinda been there. Same as home cinema. That 10% has a massive pull sometimes.

I have a few Fuji items to move on but am unsure the resale value.

I have an X-T3 boxed including L bracket, 2 OEM & 3 3rd party batteries, charger etc.
Battery grip for above, never been used.
EF-20 hotshoe flash (perfect for X100, small & light). List for these is £250 on Amazon)

This will fund a new lens (or 2). If you have any idea of the values I'd appreciate it.

I have a few Fuji items to move on but am unsure the resale value.

I have an X-T3 boxed including L bracket, 2 OEM & 3 3rd party batteries, charger etc.
Battery grip for above, never been used.
EF-20 hotshoe flash (perfect for X100, small & light). List for these is £250 on Amazon)

This will fund a new lens (or 2). If you have any idea of the values I'd appreciate it.
Steve

I won’t comment on values (as I might be interested in the T3), but I usually use usedlens.co.uk to get an idea of dealer prices, then you can get quotes from MPB/Wex and set a price in between

If you look at say LCE or MPB, take their prices....if you were to sell it to them, expect to get about 60% of the sale price as a guide.

If you were to sell it privately, then their price minus would be the max you would list it for. If you are contemplating listing it on ebay then you will lose about 10% of that. So for quick sale, I would say MPE / LCE price minus 10%.

If you look at say LCE or MPB, take their prices....if you were to sell it to them, expect to get about 60% of the sale price as a guide.

If you were to sell it privately, then their price minus would be the max you would list it for. If you are contemplating listing it on ebay then you will lose about 10% of that. So for quick sale, I would say MPE / LCE price minus 10%.

I just got a quote from MBP, and to be honest, they're taking the p***. They offer £9 for the vertical grip, yet the cheapest one they have to sell is £43, the most expensive £51. This one is unused.... The offer for the T3 was low too, considering what they sell them for.

I just got a quote from MBP, and to be honest, they're taking the p***. They offer £9 for the vertical grip, yet the cheapest one they have to sell is £43, the most expensive £51. This one is unused.... The offer for the T3 was low too, considering what they sell them for.

They're never going to give good offers, that's the price you pay for convenience. A lot of the time they're not far off, but the further you stray from the latest and greatest, the bigger their margins will need to be. They need to take into account the demand for the item - a not so popular accessory for a camera that is 2 generations old will likely sit on their shelf for months, if it sells at all. From a business perspective, it's just not worth the risk.

I've had some downright insulting quotes from them for some older gear, but they paid a damn sight more than they should have for my limited edition x100vi... :LOL:

They're never going to give good offers, that's the price you pay for convenience. A lot of the time they're not far off, but the further you stray from the latest and greatest, the bigger their margins will need to be. They need to take into account the demand for the item - a not so popular accessory for a camera that is 2 generations old will likely sit on their shelf for months, if it sells at all. From a business perspective, it's just not worth the risk.

I've had some downright insulting quotes from them for some older gear, but they paid a damn sight more than they should have for my limited edition x100vi... :LOL:

There's business, and then there's taking the mick. If they don't want it, just say so, it's that simple. What it has done is made sure that I never buy from them again, new or used, that's really good for business - not!

Can any pixel peepers advise please? I noticed a mark on some photos (first 2 pics) a few weeks ago, believe to be dust. At the time I unscrewed the lens, couldn't see any dust & put the lens back on, and could not notice the marks afterwards. Pic 3 & 4 are taken after reattaching the lens, and pic 5 is from a separate outing with a different lens.

It appears to have disappeared but if there any pixel peepers who could do their thing and advise, that'd be great.

DSCF1279 by Thomas A, on Flickr

DSCF1272 by Thomas A, on Flickr

DSCF1285 by Thomas A, on Flickr

DSCF1286 by Thomas A, on Flickr

DSCF1310 by Thomas A, on Flickr

Can any pixel peepers advise please? I noticed a mark on some photos (first 2 pics) a few weeks ago, believe to be dust. At the time I unscrewed the lens, couldn't see any dust & put the lens back on, and could not notice the marks afterwards. Pic 3 & 4 are taken after reattaching the lens, and pic 5 is from a separate outing with a different lens.

It appears to have disappeared but if there any pixel peepers who could do their thing and advise, that'd be great.

DSCF1279 by Thomas A, on Flickr

DSCF1272 by Thomas A, on Flickr

DSCF1285 by Thomas A, on Flickr

DSCF1286 by Thomas A, on Flickr

DSCF1310 by Thomas A, on Flickr
Looks like it might have been on the sensor (and fell off). Try white wall shot at f16... Or blue sky as it's sunny.
Have you got a rocket blower, just to puff out the insides?

Last edited:
Just put a wanted add up for 23mm f2 :)

Back