The Fabulous Fuji X owners thread

Quick silly question for you all.....

Is the digital crop/zoom thingy in the X100f the same as just cropping the RAW in LR? - such as the 'crop' mode on my Sony A7 series.

Or does it add some extra wizardry to the image/IQ?

Is the digital crop/zoom thingy in the X100f the same as just cropping the RAW in LR? - such as the 'crop' mode on my Sony A7 series.

It's just a crop, and IIRC it doesn't affect the RAW, only JPG.

It's just a crop, and IIRC it doesn't affect the RAW, only JPG.
Are you sure. I’ve always thought that there’s some interpolation going on.
I have been known to get things wrong though…

Are you sure. I’ve always thought that there’s some interpolation going on.
I have been known to get things wrong though…

@LeeRatters The digital zoom can only be enabled in JPG only mode, and it does intepolate the image and upscale the image to a full resolution JPG.

I used to have a the function button on the front set to RAW/JPG, one click it would put the camera into JPG only and enable the digital zoom. After taking the shot the camera would immediately revert back to 'normal' RAW+JPG mode.

Its a useful feature enabling effectively a get out of jail free card to those shots that you might otherwise not get, if you physically couldn't get any closer. Of course those with FLA wouldn't be carrying only an X100F anyway but have a bag full of cameras and lenses

Last edited:
@LeeRatters The digital zoom can only be enabled in JPG only mode, and it does intepolate the image and upscale the image to a full resolution JPG.

I used to have a the function button on the front set to RAW/JPG, one click it would put the camera into JPG only and enable the digital zoom. After taking the shot the camera would immediately revert back to 'normal' RAW+JPG mode.

Its a useful feature enabling effectively a get out of jail free card to those shots that you might otherwise not get, if you physically couldn't get any closer. Of course those with FLA wouldn't be carrying only an X100F anyway but have a bag full of cameras and lenses

Hmmmmm. Thanks. I'll have to do some testing, I shoot both on the X100f but I do like the RAWs because it fits in with my import, file renaming, editing, export, etc which I've always done through LR.

On a side note had a play with the new XF16-50 yesterday at a Touch And Try day, its quite lovely, surprisingly compact and internal zoom. Standalone though it is at quite an outrageous price, but bundled with a body not so bad!
I have just got one and first impressions is it very nice indeed. The idea was with John Lewis doing there 10% off tade in plus my Waitrose discount I could get the X-T50 kit cheap enough that selling my sigma 18-50 and the body would more than pay for the kit. Trouble is now I have been playing with the X-T50 I'm trying to find reasons to keep it

I have just got one and first impressions is it very nice indeed. The idea was with John Lewis doing there 10% off tade in plus my Waitrose discount I could get the X-T50 kit cheap enough that selling my sigma 18-50 and the body would more than pay for the kit. Trouble is now I have been playing with the X-T50 I'm trying to find reasons to keep it
Must admit X-T50 is surprisingly nice

Note to self - must stop buying cameras :ROFLMAO:

So the big question is, now I have sold my X-T4 and I have some money burning a hole in my pocket.

Will I be able to wait to see if Fuji bring out an X-E5 or will I not be able to wait and get an X-E4 to go with my X-E1 ?

WTH....that looks amazing. Which part is real and which part is PS?
Thanks, Raymond (y)

XL5 is real (model), the planets are curtesy of nasa (non commercial so ok to use), and the flare is Boris FX optics. Little bit of grading and burning shadows in ps. I like doing it, so quite fun for me :)

Back