The Fabulous Fuji X owners thread

My son, Eddie setting up his Sony A7iv at Dinorwic, This is a SOOC JPG (other than the 5:4 crop) from the X-Pro1 + XF35mm F1,4

B/W + Yellow filter, Hightlight +1, Shadow +1

Eddie at Dinorwic by David Yeoman, on Flickr
Fabulous capture that, a brilliant combo that .....XP1 and the fabulous 35/1.4

Regards.
peter

Dilemma time again

Got a cruise coming up in 5 weeks.

Going to take the x-e1, 18mm, 27mm, and 50-230 anyway.

Been saving up for potential an x-e5, if that ever comes to be.

But then the x-t50 comes along and I think it will really suit what I want ( and no I don’t want an x-t5, sold my 4 because it was not getting used)

I have enough for the 50 body now and can then use with the lenses above.

But I really like the look of the new 16-50, but that will probably push the purchase past the cruise.

Dilemma time again

But then the x-t50 comes along and I think it will really suit what I want ( and no I don’t want an x-t5, sold my 4 because it was not getting used)

But I really like the look of the new 16-50, but that will probably push the purchase past the cruise.
Not helping but the new 16-50 is really nice - buy the kit and then when you come back from the cruise decide what you will sell/keep

Man-maths makes decisions like this easy!!!

Dilemma time again

Sounds like a bad case of GAS...

What's the problem that you're hoping the newer gear will fix? What about the T4 made you not use it?

I think you're probably right to upgrade the body, you have a decent set of lenses. Having used my T3 for years, my GFs XE1 does feel slow and clunky in comparison. Image-wise though, it's still a very capable camera, so unless you need speeeeeeed, I wouldn't rush into anything just because of the cruise.

Make a list of what you're struggling with - AF speed? Size? General menu responsiveness etc? Resolution? Burst speed/buffer? Want newer sims?

Work out what you want, then find the model that ticks the boxes. You might find an XE2 or XE3 is everything you need.

Not helping but the new 16-50 is really nice - buy the kit and then when you come back from the cruise decide what you will sell/keep

What's the problem that you're hoping the newer gear will fix? What about the T4 made you not use it?

I think you're probably right to upgrade the body, you have a decent set of lenses. Having used my T3 for years, my GFs XE1 does feel slow and clunky in comparison. Image-wise though, it's still a very capable camera, so unless you need speeeeeeed, I wouldn't rush into anything just because of the cruise.

Make a list of what you're struggling with - AF speed? Size? General menu responsiveness etc? Resolution? Burst speed/buffer? Want newer sims?

Work out what you want, then find the model that ticks the boxes. You might find an XE2 or XE3 is everything you need.

We're like the little angel/devil on his shoulders... :ROFLMAO:

Main thing on the e1 is the rear screen, it’s not great to review pictures on.
Some more sims would be nice, custom settings on the e1 don’t store with names.
AF I find ok for ok what I use it for, but it’s not the best.
It’s not GAS honest !!!! I will probably only get one new camera before I retire and after that it’s anyone’s guess.
The other option is a x-e4, but for a couple of hundred more I can get the new 50

Man maths works for me fine, just need to persuade SWMBO that this will produce lots of beautiful pictures on our cruise.
Trouble is she thinks the xe1 already does that

Yes. Man maths.....

You mean saying something like "If I sell the X100f my love, I can buy a Leica Q" - for example btw ;)

And then 6 months later "I thought you were selling that X100f?!?" :mad: :ROFLMAO:

Yes. Man maths.....

You mean saying something like "If I sell the X100f my love, I can buy a Leica Q" - for example btw ;)

And then 6 months later "I thought you were selling that X100f?!?" :mad: :ROFLMAO:
Yeah but I did sell the X100F……

But since then I’ve bought a Rolleiflex, Fuji GM670, X-Pro1, X-T3, XF18mm, XF35mm, XF60mm, XF55-200 and XF100-400 so I get where you are coming from :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Yeah but I did sell the X100F……

But since then I’ve bought a Rolleiflex, Fuji GM670, X-Pro1, X-T3, XF18mm, XF35mm, XF60mm, XF55-200 and XF100-400 so I get where you are coming from :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

And this is exactly why I steered clear of the Nikon Zf. I quite fancy one, but then there's the lenses etc. so a £1500-1700 investment would have ended up being the best part of £3k :headbang:

Dilemma time again

I got the 16-50 and it's a lovely little lens. IQ is very good and real bonus in weather sealed and non expanding when it zooms and it's really quite small for what it is.

Has anybody used the Viltrox 27mm f/1,2 Pro on a modern Fuji body here? I'd love to here about how you found it, and what the autofocus performance was like, compared to native lenses, especially for video. I appreciate it can be body dependant; I have an X-H2S for reference.

Has anybody used the Viltrox 27mm f/1,2 Pro on a modern Fuji body here? I'd love to here about how you found it, and what the autofocus performance was like, compared to native lenses, especially for video. I appreciate it can be body dependant; I have an X-H2S for reference.
@Speedy136

With my current arsenal of gear why would I need an X100VI - what can it do that a Q3 can’t :ROFLMAO:
Save you a ship load of £££££ for one ;)

I was in wex the other day, and had a look (out of curiosity)..... Then saw the price of the lenses :eek:

Save you a ship load of £££££ for one ;)

I was in wex the other day, and had a look (out of curiosity)..... Then saw the price of the lenses :eek:

The Q series are a fixed lens, so akin to the X100 series - the only thing is you could probably buy all 6 versions of the X100 for the price of a Q3 :eek:

Fair point . I was going to mention about being a cool hipster on aTik Tok but I suppose the Q3 earns you more points.

Its the red dot, innit :ROFLMAO:

The Q series are a fixed lens, so akin to the X100 series - the only thing is you could probably buy all 6 versions of the X100 for the price of a Q3 :eek:
Way outta my price bracket ;)
Was interesting to see them all though. I was surprised at how big the gfx bodies were. Still, it's only 15 minutes drive so probably will venture back at some stage.

Got to get through my block first though :(

Way outta my price bracket ;)
Was interesting to see them all though. I was surprised at how big the gfx bodies were. Still, it's only 15 minutes drive so probably will venture back at some stage.
The new GFX 100 II is quite chunky, as is the glass, the 100S II feels quite a bit smaller.

One thing that helps Leica ownership is the low depreciation combined with the annual price increase, Fuji's have only been low depreciators in the last 18 months or so. If you bought a Leica Q at launch 8 years ago at list £2,350, you would probably get £1,800 for it now if was in good condition, thats £550 for 8 years shooting (Just over £70 per year, or just over a fiver a month). The recent 'internet' popularity of the Fuji's has helped redress this imbalance, and prices of certain models especially early generations are on the up, I remember when X-E1's could be had for £75 and I paid £35 for an X-M1, not anymore!!

Last edited:
The new GFX 100 II is quite chunky, as is the glass, the 100S II feels quite a bit smaller.

One thing that helps Leica ownership is the low depreciation combined with the annual price increase, Fuji's have only been low depreciators in the last 18 months or so. If you bought a Leica Q at launch 8 years ago at list £2,350, you would probably get £1,800 for it now if was in good condition, thats £550 for 8 years shooting (Just over £70 per year, or just over a fiver a month). The recent 'internet' popularity of the Fuji's has helped redress this imbalance, and prices of certain models especially early generations are on the up, I remember when X-E1's could be had for £75 and I paid £35 for an X-M1, not anymore!!
Fair point, sir. Just that initial outlay is a knee bender ;)

I use one on an X-T3, but only for photos.

I can't rate it highly enough. For me it's the best lens on the system. AF is fast, accurate, and silent - on a par if not better than any of the native lenses I have. It's also wicked sharp, pretty much best at wide open and starts to degrade from f8 onwards but not by much.

The only two negatives are a very strong vignette (which i personally love, but if you don't then it's pretty much gone at f2), and the weight. On my 3 week holiday while lugging that and a few zooms around on my back all day every day, it earned the nickname "the b*#ch".

I have one that I have used on the T5 and T4. Amazingly sharp wide open and possibly the sharpest lens I own. The speed is comparable with my older fuji legacy and not far off the 16-55. Have had a few random misses which I can't explain but considering the firmware update has rendered the T5 less reliable I am not sure if the misses are camera or lens. Either way they are to few to worry about. Nearly as heavy as the 16-55 but I always have a hand grip on by bodies which counteracts the weight. I really love using this lens and enjoy the 40mm full frame equivalent focal length. Only used it for photos but I see no reason why it should not be as good for video.

Just a Flower Shop by Nick Lowe, on Flickr

Last edited:
Thank you both, that's what I needed to hear. I currently have a manual Laowa 33mm f/0.95, but I am looking to trade it for the Viltrox for autofocus. Reviews suggest the Viltrox is optically superior, and both lenses are similar in weight. I just wanted some first hand opinions, as if the AF had some serious issues, it wouldn't be worth the cost for me to swap.

Main thing on the e1 is the rear screen, it’s not great to review pictures on.
Some more sims would be nice, custom settings on the e1 don’t store with names.
AF I find ok for ok what I use it for, but it’s not the best.
It’s not GAS honest !!!! I will probably only get one new camera before I retire and after that it’s anyone’s guess.
The other option is a x-e4, but for a couple of hundred more I can get the new 50
XPro2 or XE4 would fix all of those. Also XS10/20 would be good.

XE5 will without a doubt be 40MP which is probably overkill for many people 26MP is good if you dont need to crop and image is sharp,

XE5 will without a doubt be 40MP which is probably overkill for many people 26MP is good if you dont need to crop and image is sharp,
I could afford those now, but will still need 1 more lens ideally.
Once I retire, I will probably not have the chance to get any brand new cameras. So this is the one chance to do that before then.

Timing is the main issue, I won’t be able to afford the xt50 with the 16-50 before the cruise, can afford it body only, but I like the look of the 16-50.

I am about £450 short of the kit, got a birthday in a couple of weeks, maybe I can pursued the OH to let me pinch a little from savings, once I see how much I get then

I could afford those now, but will still need 1 more lens ideally.
Once I retire, I will probably not have the chance to get any brand new cameras. So this is the one chance to do that before then.

Timing is the main issue, I won’t be able to afford the xt50 with the 16-50 before the cruise, can afford it body only, but I like the look of the 16-50.

I am about £450 short of the kit, got a birthday in a couple of weeks, maybe I can pursued the OH to let me pinch a little from savings, once I see how much I get then
Or go cash and tik the difference? I know wex do that kind of thing.

Somebody recently gave me a virtually unused Fuji X-T20 (yes - I know :) ).

There's a (small) jack socket in the side. Looking online, I can't decide if this is for a remote release, or an external mic. I don't think it takes external mics, and Google's awful AI summations just don't pick up on the ambiguities in discussions about this question. So I thought I's seek a definite answer, here, please.

Can you use an external mic in that socket (with an adaptor) or is it just for a remote release?

There's a (small) jack socket in the side. Looking online, I can't decide if this is for a remote release, or an external mic. I don't think it takes external mics, and Google's awful AI summations just don't pick up on the ambiguities in discussions about this question. So I thought I's seek a definite answer, here, please.

Can you use an external mic in that socket (with an adaptor) or is it just for a remote release?

Look here under Parts of the Camera:

I think you will find it is both depending on the choice you make from the menus. It is an either/or choice not a both.

Do you know what, I thought sod it in the end and bought a nice x-e4 from Harrison’s.
I can add an extra lens at some point, but as I stood there doing the washing up last night I thought ‘£1650 is really a stupid amount to spend on a camera, for the amount I will use it’

New x-e4 has arrived. So I have some budget left for a small zoom.
What are people’s thoughts on the Fuji 18-55 v the Sigma 18-50, which is probably at least £100 more 2nd hand.
Or maybe even the Fuji 18-135 ???

Last edited:
New x-e4 has arrived. So I have some budget left for a small zoom.
What are people’s thoughts on the Fuji 18-55 v the Sigma 18-50, which is probably at least £100 more 2nd hand.
Or maybe even the Fuji 18-135 ???
Never had one, but it seems a lot of folk like the original kit (18-55), but depending on budget the new one is out now (16-50). So I would hazard a guess that the gotta have the latest brigade will be shifting their 18-55`s

Never had one, but it seems a lot of folk like the original kit (18-55), but depending on budget the new one is out now (16-50). So I would hazard a guess that the gotta have the latest brigade will be shifting their 18-55`s
There are lots of 18-55’s at the main 2nd hand places. Starting at about £220 ish, which is tempting for what I need

Back