The Fabulous Fuji X owners thread

All right, here's a dog pic :). Just testing out shallow DoF using my new Lens Turbo II and a manual nifty fifty at ISO3200. This expression means "have you quite finished struggling with focus, and can I go out now?" :)

Buddy (Lens Turbo II test)
by David Hallett, on Flickr

Good times! My third Lens Turbo II arrived yesterday and looks fine. Unlike the other two! Problem with sending stuff back to China is that it takes over a month to get a replacement each time.

Anyway, lenses I'm likely to use with it:

Carl Zeiss Distagon 28/2.8
Asahi Super Takumar 55/2
Helios 44 58/2
Carl Zeiss Sonnar 85/2.8
Carl Zeiss Jena Sonnar 135/3.5
Pentacon 135/2.8 preset
Asahi Takumar 200/3.5 preset

:)

Good times! My third Lens Turbo II arrived yesterday and looks fine. Unlike the other two! Problem with sending stuff back to China is that it takes over a month to get a replacement each time.

Asahi Super Takumar 55/2
Helios 44 58/2
Carl Zeiss Sonnar 85/2.8
Pentacon 135/2.8 preset

How much are you guys paying for the Lens turbos? and are they worth the extra over pass-through adapters?

Also, I see you have a CZJ 135, one of a few MF lenses I'm eyeing atm. Recommended? which do you prefer, the CZJ or the Pentacon?

Mine cost me about £110 through Amazon (Roxsen was the seller). Arrived well before I thought it would, I must say!

Is it worth it? Depends on what an extra stop of light is worth to you. And perhaps how many manual lenses you have, as you could be effectively doubling the range of focal lengths available to you.

I find that for the kind of low light street work I've been doing lately, the 1.4 lens at ISO3200 is barely fast enough, so that's where I will mainly use the combo. But I have some 135, 105 and 28mm lenses to try, and I've just acquired a version of the 35mm Flektogon that will get a go as soon as I have a Praktica B to EOS adapter. Lots of experiments to do!

@manualfocus-g, my generic eBay M42 to EOS adapter is quite hard work to get off the LTII once it's on, not sure why. I can only just shift it, which is a bit concerning. Do you have any experience of the issue?

My PK to EOS has no such problem, although it does have a little front-to-back movement, only about a sheet of paper worth, as I can completely eliminate it with judicious use of a PostIt note. Possibly at the cost of infinity focus, but I won't know that until I can do some tests outside. I suspect that the LTII could use slightly stronger leaf springs in its mount, but I don't feel inclined to mess with them.

Hmmm, might be worth a punt. So ... take my Helios 58/2, a LTII would have this behave like a true 58mm 1.4? Is there any affect on IQ?

That's the only MF lens I have for now, but I do plan on getting some more.

That's the other issue though. atm I have a Nikon --> FX, and an M42 ---> FX. And could easily get more for cheap for other lens mounts. Choosing a Lens turbo II, you have to stick with one mount type?

Last edited:
I have some Nikon AIS lenses. Is there an adapter anyone can recommend.

Yongnuo canon ones do with legacy mode.

Some conflicting reports on that, more specifically which models

Not exactly the answer you want but my Nissin i40 flash works with a cord but not in TTL.
I use the 603 triggers you were looking at earlier but they too only work on manual mode.
I normally use my old Canon flashes and they work well but only in manual.

Thanks, less than conclusive from all I've read, think I might just use it on camera for now, should be fine bounced rather direct.
More research needed I reckon, not usually much of a flasher, but like to try different things out

You know... you guys must be a different species to me. I just can't see myself ever going through these machinations, gear changes and camera fondling love ins.

Good God.

I've used plastic cameras from the days when plastic was nasty flimsy stuff, I've used metal cameras, I've used stuff in between and lenses from God knows how old to newer stuff and I see them mostly as tools and for sure I don't give a flying about badges. I say mostly as I do as an engineer type see the attraction of nicely made kit but fitness for purpose and spec come waaaaay higher on my list of priorities than gear fondling which hardly registers at all.

Anyway.

Sorry for the rude interjection... Carry On.
:D
Black, shiny, heavy, well engineered things are the best, I love all my Fuji cameras for that reason (except my X100T which isn't black, I love it for different reasons :rolleyes: ) I also love my big Maglite lol

That's not a screen saver! Sigh :(
A screensaver doesn't have to be an animation, it can just be an image as long as there are others along with it so that it can keep changing :p

Just commented on that post. I'd put a punt on the 24 mp will be the last apsc Sony sensor to find its self in a x-series.
I don't think Sony will stop sensor supply to other camera manufacturers as their sensor business is bigger then their own Camera division...... however I do think Fuji could start fabricating their own sensors... interesting times....

I don't think Sony will stop sensor supply to other camera manufacturers as their sensor business is bigger then their own Camera division...... however I do think Fuji could start fabricating their own sensors... interesting times....
No I don't think it will be Sony stopping I think Fuji will be making their own.

I always assumed Fuji made their own sensor with them being different to the rest (ie Xtrans) :oops: :$

I'm not sure moving away from Sony is a good idea. Apparently Nikon did this with the D5 and sensor performance is poor in terms of DR (up to ISO 3200) and noise compared to the predecessor (D4s) which used a Sony sensor.

I always assumed Fuji made their own sensor with them being different to the rest (ie Xtrans) :oops: :$

I'm not sure moving away from Sony is a good idea. Apparently Nikon did this with the D5 and sensor performance is poor in terms of DR (up to ISO 3200) and noise compared to the predecessor (D4s) which used a Sony sensor.
I think its down to cost. Sony can obviously make them cheaper than anyone can make their own more so than them being so superior. Samsung sensors now perform as well. However it's got to get to a point when enough is enough. You can't have Sony dictating when you discontinue a product.

No I don't think it will be Sony stopping I think Fuji will be making their own.
This could be a good move providing they can make them as good or better than what they buy in from Sony.
Fuji went against the trend with their X-Trans technology and they could do something ground breaking with their own sensors..... we'll have to wait and see.

This could be a good move providing they can make them as good or better than what they buy in from Sony.
Fuji went against the trend with their X-Trans technology and they could do something ground breaking with their own sensors..... we'll have to wait and see.
I can't find the link but they've just opened a new sensor material factory. i know they have a joint venture developing the organic sensor with Panasonic so I'm not sure if they are involved in the new facility also.

Last edited:
Surely the transition is an animation.
No it's a transition :LOL: :p

By definition it's creating a moving image (when talking about computers) ;)

Asahi Super Takumar 55/2
Helios 44 58/2
Carl Zeiss Sonnar 85/2.8
Pentacon 135/2.8 preset

I'd certainly be interested to see some of the results you get with it Graham.(y)

George.

Anyone on here use legacy lenses?
I have a Jupiter 135mm f4 that isn't getting any use at all.
No idea when or where I bought it.
It's in good nick and is nice and smooth. Images are pin sharp.
It is used, so is not new, not mint, minty or in showroom condition.
It's not a length I use that much so it is sat here doing nothing.
Has end caps, lens hood and comes in a screw top carry container.
No cardboard box to put in the attic so that will imediately reduce the quality of the images; sorry.
I've got an adaptor to use on the Fuji but I can't remember last time I fitted it on.
If anyone is interested I'll stick an ad in classifieds for say £50 posted.

Let me know if anyone is interested.

Reactions: ASH

If its of any help to you Trevor, I just use a standard Fuji-Nikon Ai/s cheapy (about 10 bucks) from fleabay. Its a metal unit and works a real treat (everything manual of coarse). One thing to look out for though is to make sure its an adapter that allows infinity focus as not all of them do.(y)

George.

Last edited:

Exactly, A screen saver does have animation, or transitions, the idea being not to have a static image that may burn into the screen, therefore saving it. The guys with the stale jokes should at least get it right.

I bought one from K&F concepts, I got a Nikon G one because I had a lens with no aperture ring at the time [now sold] but they have a cheaper non-aperture control one. Not much dearer to get the G compatible one, will work with all AI onward lenses:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Concept®-C...id=1481275809&sr=8-1&keywords=nikon+to+fuji+x

Anyone on here use legacy lenses?
I have a Jupiter 135mm f4 that isn't getting any use at all.
No idea when or where I bought it.
It's in good nick and is nice and smooth. Images are pin sharp.
It is used, so is not new, not mint, minty or in showroom condition.
It's not a length I use that much so it is sat here doing nothing.
Has end caps, lens hood and comes in a screw top carry container.
No cardboard box to put in the attic so that will imediately reduce the quality of the images; sorry.
I've got an adaptor to use on the Fuji but I can't remember last time I fitted it on.
If anyone is interested I'll stick an ad in classifieds for say £50 posted.

Let me know if anyone is interested.

Is that with the adapter?
I would be interested ..

LOL I wondered which pedant would pick that up, I kinda knew it would be you, I thought that shot might also appeal due to your penchant for pron :dummy:

Last edited:
It seemed such a nice morning that I thought I'd take a walk down the River Hamble

Lifeboats1_zpsauiy6jw6.jpg

LifeBoats_zpsjxqifchx.jpg

There's quite a bit of history here as well as some serious fibreglass

DDayPlaque_zpswthw23lt.jpg

My companion, as always, and probably the reason why I never have time to stop snapping and take more 'artistic' images - but hey ho, I wouldn't be without him

Jack_zpsolbxpfci.jpg

Last edited:
Twelve months ago I bought an xt1 when the weight of my canon gear was getting a bit too much to lug around, after a couple of days play on the default settings I put it in a bag until now (canon gear now gone),so the last couple of days spent setting it up but the ISO dial so stiff it needs two hands to change it any tips, also not sure what to set shutter to mechanical or both ms/es? thanks.

Twelve months ago I bought an xt1 when the weight of my canon gear was getting a bit too much to lug around, after a couple of days play on the default settings I put it in a bag until now (canon gear now gone),so the last couple of days spent setting it up but the ISO dial so stiff it needs two hands to change it any tips, also not sure what to set shutter to mechanical or both ms/es? thanks.
Personally I would avoid the electronic shutter unless and until you really need it, because of the rolling shutter effect in certain conditions. For that reason I would set it to manual only. Sorry, can't help with the stiff ISO dial, except to keep using it in the hope it will free up.

You are pressing the lock release on the iso dial before moving it? I have the shutter set to mechanical but have assigned a function button to change this if needed when doing street.

Back