The Football Thread - Season 2011/2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
Part of me would like them both to go through so there are more English clubs in Europe. But another more sinister part would like them both to get kicked out :LOL:

The Smiths, rude people, Gary Neville, Misha B, Deirdre Barlow, YOUR BOYS TOOK A HELL OF A BEATING.

:D

Is it too soon laugh?

I think you could have started laughing a few weeks ago :bonk:

Tonight smacked of being 'one of those nights' quite early on in the game but the truth is United have just not performed well enough in the whole campaign.

Now I'm going to have to figure out where ITV4 is !

Last edited:
Channel 5 ahoy! For both Manchester teams :LOL:

Tonight showed United's lack of depth this year, ah well. At least I have ITV 4 to watch the matches.

Disappointed with Ashley Young, Nani played well but the rest of the midfield were poor.

Channel 5 can't believe their luck, must be laughing all the way to the Bank.

Wonder who the next Man city manager is going to be:D:D

Where's Joe ? - I need him to reassure me that the Europa League isn't all bad.......

I did cheer when I saw the result.

As before I am in two minds, feel bad there are less English teams in the cl but glad I can annoy my father in law some.

A few weeks ago fertile stormed out of a press conference because a reporter dared to suggest his team were struggling in Europe. And now they are out after the group stage for only the 3rd time in 17 years so I hope he feels a prize fool for doing that.

City and united are going to have one hell of a determined fight for the prem now!

Where's Joe ? - I need him to reassure me that the Europa League isn't all bad.......

Lol, you know my opinion on the Europa league mate! I hate every part of it, welcome to the poorest competition there is, shocking presenters, refs and even the tv show production

Oh no the highlights are on now and just to make matters worse Gabriel Marcotti is on the sofa.

Ever the champion of Italian and Spanish football and keen to knock English footy at every opportunity - He's going to be unbearable.

When was the last time United didn't make it past the group stage Phil?

2006 - We had a couple of scroreless draws with Villarreal, lost once to Benfica and I think Lille too.

Failed in the mid nineties too (95 I think)

Got me thinking now so I'm away to check......

A spot of Googling (can't trust my brain cells)

1957 - Semi-Final
1958 - Semi-Final
1966 - Semi-Final
1968 - Final W
1969 - Semi-Final
1994 - 2nd Round
1995 - 1st Round Group
1997 - Semi Final
1998 - Quarter-Final
1999 - Final W
2000 - Quarter-Final
2001 - Quarter-Final
2002 - Semi Final
2003 - Quarter-Final
2004 - 2nd Round
2005 - 2nd Round
2006 - 1st Round Group
2007 - Semi-Final
2008 - Final W
2009 - Final L
2010 - Quarter-Final
2011 - Final L
2012 - 1st Round Group

Seems like longer. Given the start to the season, who'd have thought Arsenal would be the strongest of the English teams in the Champions League.

I still think Arsenal are getting it together despite the doubters even if they seem to rely on RVP quite a lot just now and I think Chelsea are going to find their feet.

I'm going to stick with my prediction now United and City are out of the Champions League.

1 - Man City
2 - Man United
3 - Chelsea
4 - Arsenal
5 - Tottenham
6 - Liverpool

I just hope United play lots of young youth players now in the Europa cup and develop them rather than waste time playing fringe players who have already failed to impact on the first team.

Last edited:
I had to chuckle at this......

Roy Keane on tonight's result:

"People have talked about the young players - you've had Jones, Chris Smalling, Ashley Young coming in, everybody building them up but they've got a lot to do, it's a reality check for some,"

"I'd be getting hold of some of those lads, saying 'you'd better buck up your ideas'.

"I think their best player tonight was Ryan Giggs, that sums it up - he 37 or 38, you can't be depending on him.

"United got what they deserved tonight, people need to prove themselves"

Alex Ferguson on Roy Keane's comments:

"Well, he's had opportunities to prove himself as a manager too - enough said"

LOL

It gets Capello out the hole - he would have been damned if he took rooney and damned if he didnt, but being able to play 1 game in an easy group should mean he makes the plane... BUT Capello said he would pick players on form, and Rooney tends to drift in and out of form. I can see another player like Defoe, or Bent being ****** hot in the build up but Rooney still getting picked.

I would imagine he'd have been picked regardless of the ban and probably (providing he's fit) regardless of form.

It's not unusual for players to be selected and play no part in the group stages so why not just include him anyway so he's available should we get through.

who's taking bets that rooney gets a red card at some stage of the euro's?

Is it too soon laugh?

Drivetime topic on Talksport just now: Why do English football fans find it so funny that the top 2 clubs in the English league have been knocked out of the European Champions League?

because they dominate everything, we like it when their supporters feel some of the misery the rest of us feel on a regular basis

because they dominate everything, we like it when their supporters feel some of the misery the rest of us feel on a regular basis

I had 20 years of misery growing up Joe - we know fine well what it's like :naughty:

At least we wouldn't have to limit ourselves to buying a good defender that hasn't already played in Europe for someone else :bang:

Vidic out for the season

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/16079897.stm

do you think fergie might go against his normal rule of thumb and spend some money this january? The back four and goalie look shaky already, and now with vidic out he might be forced to

Who knows Joe - there's other areas that equally need attention. I suspect being out of the CL - we'll bumble on with what we have for what's left of the season unless there's anybody available to come in for a short spell.

The scary thought: with Vidic this season we've let in 3 goals from 10 games. Without Vidic we've let in 19 goals from 13

Vidic - Centre Back
Evra - Full Back
Jones - is a defender that's playing midfield (midfield being a known issue)
Rio - Centre Back but struggles to stay fit
Smalling - Should really be playing centre back not full back
Evans - adequate as FB or CB cover
Fryers - Full Back knocking on the door
Rafael - Full Back
Fabio - Full Back

I suspect my first choice would be Rio at CB with Smalling or Jones. I'd probably stick Jones in at CB and play Smalling as FB with Evra.

Jones wont be needing to fill in midfield once Cleverly, Anderson and Fletcher are available again.

I'd sooner see the quality of the midfield improved. That's what we tried to do pre season with Sneijder but it broke down for whatever reason.

Last edited:
Amazed at some of the doom and gloom from Man U I've read....yes they have some injuries and have gone out of the CL early. Still second in the PL and there is a long way to go.....as an Arsenal fan things seemed an awful lot worse three months ago than it does as a Man U fan now.........

I'm not doom and gloom.

Slight change in expectation levels obviously but that's what happens some years.

well from the man u fans I know it's because these days there is an expectancy from them to win everything so when they don't they get miffed about it.

I'd say the same is true of Alex ferguson himself. A few seasons ago when chelsea won the prem his words were

"it's very difficult to beat manchester united to win the premier league" not that it's difficult to win the league whoever you are, but that it's difficult for anyone else to stop them winning it.

Amazed at some of the doom and gloom from Man U I've read....yes they have some injuries and have gone out of the CL early. Still second in the PL and there is a long way to go.....as an Arsenal fan things seemed an awful lot worse three months ago than it does as a Man U fan now.........

Thing is we knew that Cesc and probably Na$ri were off, and knew we wouldnt spend big, so expectations would have been QF or SF at best CL, and top 4 again. Man U rightly expect to be at the SF of CL at least, and top 2.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back