The Football Thread - Season 2011/2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
cambsno said:
Thing is we knew that Cesc and probably Na$ri were off, and knew we wouldnt spend big, so expectations would have been QF or SF at best CL, and top 4 again. Man U rightly expect to be at the SF of CL at least, and top 2.

Maybe. I also think that if any supporter of an English PL team is honest they have a very,very small chance of winning the Champions League. Barca are a class apart and Real seem go be better this year too. If anything Man U's chances of winning the PL have gone up. Arsenal are a team in transition, Top 4 PL has to be the main priority on a financial basis and also to give us a slim chance of holding on to RVP. Wenger is desperate to win a trophy but doesn't have the squad to compete on even two fronts in my opinion.

well from the man u fans I know it's because these days there is an expectancy from them to win everything so when they don't they get miffed about it.

I'd say the same is true of Alex ferguson himself. A few seasons ago when chelsea won the prem his words were

"it's very difficult to beat manchester united to win the premier league" not that it's difficult to win the league whoever you are, but that it's difficult for anyone else to stop them winning it.

Probably true of some fans Joe esp those younger ones who have known nothing other than good times.

I think those of us old enough to remember Livepool's glory years appreciate what success United have had for the last 20 years and don't take anything for granted.

I also remember the younger Liverpool fans (my age group) of the late 70's and 80's being much the same as the younger United fans of today.

I had a thread on a Manchester United forum the other day where many of the older folk looked back quite fondly to the years when we were rubbish and how it was more a case of being delighted with winning stuff compared to some fans these days who just get upset when we don't.

I guess the flip side is that whichever team is having a purple patch - the fans of that club also have to put up with all the stick from everybody else.

Last edited:
Good to beat qpr today, have to watch match of the day later to see how it went, but the match report indicates Liverpool dominated and qpr's goal keeper kept them in the game.

Worrying though that at home against a team like qpr we couldn't put the game to bed with more goals when dominating the play so much. We should be winning games like this at home with ease.

You know watching man u, I'm starting to dislike them less and less as the new breed comes through. Now that Neville and ronaldo have gone and a few others, i really like phil jones, Danny welbeck and Chris smalling. Also always been a fan of Ashley young. I find them all to be really hungry yet modest players, and importantly, English.

If they could get rid of Rooney, nani and sir Alex I reckon I could bring myself to begin to find them very tolerable! A great performance today.

That was some volley from RVP

His technique is just fantastic, top quality player whose value has just got to keep going up and up this year.

As an Arsenal fan, I'd love to see him at least match Henry's goal scoring record for goals in a calendar year.

This photo makes his leg look as if it's a little bit too flexible though if you see what I mean :eek:

_57252539_57252538.jpg

No doubt that Liverpool deserved the win, great goalkeeping from qpr. But I think Suarez was offside for the goal, although they didn't even mention it on the replay?

Also Luke young going in with studs showing, I thought you lot told me last week that's a card by the letter of the law :nono:

Last edited:
You know watching man u, I'm starting to dislike them less and less as the new breed comes through. Now that Neville and ronaldo have gone and a few others, i really like phil jones, Danny welbeck and Chris smalling. Also always been a fan of Ashley young. I find them all to be really hungry yet modest players, and importantly, English.

If they could get rid of Rooney, nani and sir Alex I reckon I could bring myself to begin to find them very tolerable! A great performance today.

Have you been on the real ales again Joe ?? ;)

As for the English thing at United just now - I'm liking it....

Smalling - Didn't have the best game in the Champions League last week but he's quality.
Jones - The most bonkers player I've seen in ages. I don't think anybody (including himself) knows quite what he is yet but I love his 'British' style.
Ferdinand - Needs to keep fit not just for United but for England. Now Vidic is crocked I'd love to see Smalling with him rather than Evans.
Young - Not quite back to his early season form following injury but very effective if he's on his game.
Carrick - No doubting his quality esp his passing game. Looked good today and I'd like to see him given more responsibility.
Cleverley - An absolute Gem. It was 'when' rather than 'if' he was given his place at United and was instrumental in United's great start to the season before his injury.
Rooney - Great hair.
Wellbeck - I think he's got a lot more to his game than people give him credit for.

I would go as far as to say that whilst all the above are just some of the many England Internationals - all 'could' be played together in an England 11 that wasn't really that far off full strength.

As for the other English players....

Owen - Sick note - popped up with a few important goals but who knows what (if any) England future he has.
Fryers - Looking really good although LB is pretty much Ashley Cole's just now.

Morrison (midfield) Norwood (midfield) Tunnicliffe (midfield) - named in the first team squad but we'll have to see.

Last edited:
No doubt that Liverpool deserved the win, great goalkeeping from qpr. But I think Suarez was offside for the goal, although they didn't even mention it on the replay?

Also Luke young going in with studs showing, I thought you lot told me last week that's a card by the letter of the law :nono:

Not sure about Suarez being offside, it looked very close and. quite rightly, the ref gave the benefit of the doubt.

Yes, Luke Young should have got a yellow card, I was surprised he didn't.

All in all, it was an obviously deserved win but I can't understand why we didn't do the usual and take the game to Liverpool. We only did that after the scored and we started to create chances. We certainly missed Helguson and that's a worry.

Pleased with the Chelsea v City result tonight.

Had decisions gone the other way City could have been out of sight by the half hour mark but despite that Chelsea did really well to regain control of that match.

Certailnly keeps the top fpart of the table more bunched up which is a good thing.

He did score the winner but Lampard is still not happy though.. could be on the move?

I'm not please with that result (naturally). We totally had the game in hand for the first 20-30 minutes then we just went to ratpoo and lost it completely.

I must say after 25 mins, Chelsea deserved the win.

It should have been 10 against 10 men IMO and a penalty either side too, but alas....

Still, we can't win em all, I hope the team and Mancini go back from this experience and come out of it a much much tougher side.

Yep - Fingers crossed for him.

I've seen how debilitating this can be so I can only imagine how much he's had to work to try and continue as a professional athlete and manage the few games he's played over the last year or so.

I guess the following sums the lad up.

"Darren’s continued desire to play and his loyalty to both his club and country has probably compromised the chances of optimising his own health and fitness."

With any luck the statement will end some of the speculation regarding what his problems have been.

Some of the losers from the CL have now made the Europa Cup more interesting..

Joe..
As I was having a few days holiday in Liverpool last week, so I emailed Anfield a few weeks ago and asked if they had any tickets for the QPR game and they replied back within the hour and said they would let me know. Anyway they didn't write back, so assumed there was no tickets.
I went to Anfield on the Friday last week and just on the off chance I asked about tickets for the QPR game the next day and I could of got one.. thats a bummer as I had already made plans to do something else..
Next time I get to Liverpool I will turn up just on the off chance..

Europa League is the place to be now !

Last edited:
Joe..
As I was having a few days holiday in Liverpool last week, so I emailed Anfield a few weeks ago and asked if they had any tickets for the QPR game

They have email now at Anfield ? - they must have done the place up ;)

They have email now at Anfield ? - they must have done the place up ;)

Yeah apparently man u were selling some equipment on the cheap due to a lack of funds after being kicked out of some competition :nuts:

I have (finally) collated the predictions for the Top and Bottom 6 finishes:

TPLeague.JPG

We've all predicted the same top two, and the same top 6, though not in the same order.

At the other end we all think Wigan are doomed, but the bottom 6 is more mixed and likely where the champion will be decided! Be interesting to see how things pan out - and if Spurs, Arsenal or Chelsea get into the top two (or maybe even Liverpool, but I can't see that this season).

So after being charged by the FA with the racist thing - we should find out what (if anything) is happening to Suarez later today I think ??

Whilst I hate the whole situation and hope it's found (and chucked) as being 'six of one and half a dozen of the other' - I couldn't help but flag up Henry Winter's column in The Telegraph....

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/fo...mpt-to-unravel-most-complicated-of-cases.html

I know Henry Winter ghost-wrote the autobiographies of Kenny Dalglish, John Barnes and Steven Gerrard but that doesn't mean he should let LFC write his Telegraph column in return LOL

I have (finally) collated the predictions for the Top and Bottom 6 finishes:

TPLeague.JPG

We've all predicted the same top two, and the same top 6, though not in the same order.

At the other end we all think Wigan are doomed, but the bottom 6 is more mixed and likely where the champion will be decided! Be interesting to see how things pan out - and if Spurs, Arsenal or Chelsea get into the top two (or maybe even Liverpool, but I can't see that this season).

Thanks for bringing all that together.(y)

Quite interesting to see how all our predictions differ / compare.

Last edited:
So after being charged by the FA with the racist thing - we should find out what (if anything) is happening to Suarez later today I think ??

Whilst I hate the whole situation and hope it's found (and chucked) as being 'six of one and half a dozen of the other' - I couldn't help but flag up Henry Winter's column in The Telegraph....

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/fo...mpt-to-unravel-most-complicated-of-cases.html

I know Henry Winter ghost-wrote the autobiographies of Kenny Dalglish, John Barnes and Steven Gerrard but that doesn't mean he should let LFC write his Telegraph column in return LOL

I thought the charges were dropped? Liverpool can't afford to have him suspended.

do i think suarez is racist? Yup.

I think it's no secret that south americans have a reputation for being very racist towards black people. A sweeping statement I know and I don't mean all south americans.

In fact most people are racist in some form or other but levels of racism vary to what is acceptable and what is PC gone mad stuff and actual abuse. Probably the hardest subject to understand between nationalities and upbringing.

As an Englishman having lived most of my adult life in Wales or Scotland - I'm saying nothing LOL

do i think suarez is racist? Yup.

I think it's no secret that south americans have a reputation for being very racist towards black people. A sweeping statement I know and I don't mean all south americans.

I take it you're excluding Brazilians from this? :nono:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back