The Football Thread - Season 2011/2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
Breaking News- Garry Glitter has just applied for the vacant England managers job after hearing two of the players were young and bent.

My guess :

Blackburn v QPR 2-2
Wolves v West Brom 2-1
Bolton v Wigan 2-0

I'll go

Blackburn v QPR 1-2 (ever hopeful + blackburn's central defence is decimated)
Wolves v West Brom 1-1
Bolton v Wigan 3-0

akr said:
I'll go

Blackburn v QPR 1-2 (ever hopeful + blackburn's central defence is decimated)
Wolves v West Brom 1-1
Bolton v Wigan 3-0

I'll go:

Blackburn v QPR 0-2
Wolves v West Brom 0-1 (wolves have suffered injuries to their midfield midweek that leaves them looking weak in the middle)
Bolton v Wigan 1-2 (tough to call and could go either way)

those key games.....:puke:

Wolves 2:0 West Brom - big game - Im thinking Wolves will dig in.
Bolton 1:1 Wigan - I'm just saying a low score draw
Blackburn 1:1 QPR - Just for Steve Keane (otherwise 1:3)
Man Utd 0:2 Liverpool - It's City's title (an upset but Suarez bile makes news )
Everton 2:2 Chelsea - Capello homes in on Chelsea job
Aston Villa 1:4 Man City - run of the mill win
Fulham 1:1 Stoke City - gritty draw
Sunderland 2:3 Arsenal - Gunners show some class against the in form side
Swansea 2:2 Norwich - but hope Swans get a win
Tottenham 1:1 Newcastle - not bothered due to England stuff.

Last edited:
right Tom, it's that time of the week again. This time we are betting on your choice again, so what's it going to be?

Here are my predictions:

Man Utd v Liverpool - draw
Blackburn v QPR - QPR win
Bolton v Wigan - Wigan win
Everton v Chelsea - Everton win
Fulham v Stoke City - draw
Sunderland v Arsenal - Arsenal win
Swansea v Norwich - Swansea win
Tottenham v Newcastle - Spurs win
Wolves v West Brom - draw
Aston Villa v Man City - draw

right Tom, it's that time of the week again. This time we are betting on your choice again, so what's it going to be?

Here are my predictions:

Joe I will have to pick my results later, but we are playing for a beer from my home town brewers, http://www.jwlees.co.uk/ check out the site, you will like it and the ale is Moonraker which us Middletonians are affectionately known as.

i know jwlees very well, its a good brewery. I've had moonraker, they sell it in morrisons. There is a jw lees pub about 20 mins from where I live in the countryside called The Ship - superb ale and food.

http://www.wincle.org.uk/ship_inn.html

I enjoy the new ale they have bottled The Governer (I didn't realise they made it actually) and weirdly that Coronation street ale should be terrible but it's very nice. they made an american lager last year as well that I saw in the ship, which was just plain weird if you ask me.

i know jwlees very well, its a good brewery. I've had moonraker, they sell it in morrisons. There is a jw lees pub about 20 mins from where I live in the countryside called The Ship - superb ale and food.

http://www.wincle.org.uk/ship_inn.html

I enjoy the new ale they have bottled The Governer (I didn't realise they made it actually) and weirdly that Coronation street ale should be terrible but it's very nice. they made an american lager last year as well that I saw in the ship, which was just plain weird if you ask me.

Small world Joe !

My memory is hazy as it was 25-30 years ago but I went in there many times as a kid. My oldest brother used to be the fish farmer at Danebridge trout fisheries at Wildboarclough. I can't remember the couple that ran the pub but we stayed with them a few times and they had a foul mouthed parrot which was funny.

Last edited:
Small world Joe !

My memory is hazy as it was 25-30 years ago but I went in there many times as a kid. My oldest brother used to be the fish farmer at Danebridge fisheries at Wildboarclough. I can't remember the couple that ran the pub but we stayed with them a few times and they had a foul mouthed parrot which was funny.

danebridge fishery isn't in wildboarclough, it's 5 mins from the ship in wincle. Wildboarclough is further on north east of wincle.

It's a great pub isn't it with a great location, last time I was in there I chatted to the current owner of the fishery in fact.

I'll have to pop onto Google streetview and remind myself Joe as it's all a bit clouded. My brother lived in a caravan at the fishery (just out of Wincle) but I remember Wildboarclough featuring somewhere in the story. I'm wondering if the people he stayed with after the caraven lived there. I'm sure it was another pub too.

Here are my predictions:

ManU - win
Blackburn - draw
Bolton - win
Everton - draw
Fulham - Win
Sunderland - draw
Swansea - win
Tottenham - win
Wolves - win
Aston Villa - lose

Getting warmed up nicely for this one, beers chilling, kids all off to a party.

Horrible little man starts the game too. Should be fun.

Last edited:
This fella...LOL

6773634579_da4b61657a_m.jpg

Disgraced himself already !

Last edited:
So what do we make of Suarez being put on in place of Carroll just as Dalglish and team were adamant he was coming good...almost to the point where they over-defended his performances?

Suarez rejected the opportunity to put a respectful end to the whole sordid racism row by not shaking Evra's hand so I suspect this particular bitterness is going to roll on and on. What's even more discouraging is that the management of the entire event by Dalglish has left me firmly supporting Manchester United over Liverpool...I never thought I'd see the day!

I actually find the fact Suarez didn't shake hands hilarious. The whole teams shake hands as they do is a waste of time and pointless IMO. Something governing bodies do to justify their existence.

The media are to blame for much of this. Suarez made a comment that he thought was ok as he is a different culture. Served his ban and that should have been it. Instead, everytime Liverpool or man u play this is all they are asked about. It is becoming the biggest story and this build up has been largely to blame.

I actually find the fact Suarez didn't shake hands hilarious.

The media are to blame for much of this.

Suarez, Dalglish and LFC's subsequent handling of the whole situation is to blame.

Last edited:
I actually find the fact Suarez didn't shake hands hilarious. The whole teams shake hands as they do is a waste of time and pointless IMO. Something governing bodies do to justify their existence.

The media are to blame for much of this. Suarez made a comment that he thought was ok as he is a different culture. Served his ban and that should have been it. Instead, everytime Liverpool or man u play this is all they are asked about. It is becoming the biggest story and this build up has been largely to blame.

Pretty much summed up the UK press.

Suarez, Dalglish and LFC's subsequent handling of the whole situation is to blame.

No.

The media is to blame for blowing it all up and constantly talking about it.

Looks like it will be a united win, haven't caught the game just the scores, but glad Suarez got one back.

Classy from evra at the end there. That puts an end to him apparently handling himself with dignity throughout this debacle.

Happy days

3 points and Suarez let himself and his club down again

Perfect day.

Classy from evra at the end there. That puts an end to him apparently handling himself with dignity throughout this debacle.
Dunno what you mean :thinking:
He's the captain of a team that have (temporarily probably) taken the top spot of the league again. Its nothing compared to what some gooners might do.

Happy days

3 points and Suarez let himself and his club down again

Perfect day.

Scoring a goal and keeping Liverpool in it isn't letting the club down. Didn't see the whole game but from what I hear he put in a great performance.

Dunno what you mean :thinking:
He's the captain of a team that have (temporarily probably) taken the top spot of the league again. Its nothing compared to what some gooners might do.

Deliberately walking in front of Suarez to celebrate is a really poor show on his part. I think he'll probably regret that.

Deliberately walking in front of Suarez to celebrate is a really poor show on his part. I think he'll probably regret that.
Why?
Suarez got away with kicking the ball in a wild manner at the end of the first half (should have been a yellow card), yet the captain of the team that have taken the top spot again dances with joy, coincidentally in close proximity of Suarez, what should be punished :shrug:

Why?
Suarez got away with kicking the ball in a wild manner at the end of the first half (should have been a yellow card), yet the captain of the team that have taken the top spot again dances with joy, coincidentally in close proximity of Suarez, what should be punished :shrug:

not saying he should be punished but goading the person who you have had the issue with is just poor show. People will be quick to slate suarez for not shaking his hand, but it's not like he rubbed that in his face, he just wanted to ignore the little berk. Goading like that isn't going to help anything.

No wonder Suarez continues to act the way he does with continued support from Dalglish:

Dalglish: "I never knew Suarez refused to shake Evra's hand. I wasn't there, I never saw it. It's contrary to what I've been told. I think you're bang out of order to blame Luis Suarez for anything that happened here today."

Unbelievable! Dalglish must have slipped into a parallel universe. Where's that double facepalm picture? :bonk:

Spuff said:
No wonder Suarez continues to act the way he does with continued support from Dalglish:

Dalglish: "I never knew Suarez refused to shake Evra's hand. I wasn't there, I never saw it. It's contrary to what I've been told. I think you're bang out of order to blame Luis Suarez for anything that happened here today."

Unbelievable! Dalglish must have slipped into a parallel universe. Where's that double facepalm picture? :bonk:

I hadn't seen that. Unbelievable management from Dalglish!

Watched the game with 2 United fans and 2 Liverpool fans. The two Liverpool fans were emabarrassed. Dalglish a complete laughing stock again. Blinkered and stupid. Somebody should invite that idiot to the 21st Century. No wonder their fans are deluded about the whole thing with that dinosaur at the helm.

Ferguson at least had the decency to say that Evra shouldn't have celebrated in the manner that he did. A class apart.

Another sad day for LFC unfortunately and the bile it generates although they will blame the media and play the victim card again.

Last edited:
Suarez rejected the opportunity to put a respectful end to the whole sordid racism row by not shaking Evra's hand so I suspect this particular bitterness is going to roll on and on. What's even more discouraging is that the management of the entire event by Dalglish has left me firmly supporting Manchester United over Liverpool...I never thought I'd see the day!

:plus1:

Fergusson has now said that Suarez should never play for Liverpool again and I agree.

Suarez today meant that I have now watched a football match wanting Manchester United to win ... and that has never, never happened before!

Another over reaction from a lot of you. Why should Suarez shake evras hand? He obviously doesn't like him or respect him. Why shake a hand of someone you don't like or respect?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back