WAMT....what annoyed me today!

WAMT (and every time I see them having done it) is blue badge holders parking wherever they like, including where double yellows are there for safety or access reasons. Just because they can (and/or may) doesn't mean they should.

WAMT (and every time I see them having done it) is blue badge holders parking wherever they like, including where double yellows are there for safety or access reasons. Just because they can (and/or may) doesn't mean they should.

Same with parents who park in a kiddie spot and then pile out of the car with either no kids, or a couple of teenagers.
Lazy B'stards.

The problem is this:

on a single or double yellow line for a maximum of three hours, unless there is no loading or unloading

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/c...r-disabled-people-and-penalty-charge-notices/

Unfortunately, some take it literally and throw common sense out the window.

Same with parents who park in a kiddie spot and then pile out of the car with either no kids, or a couple of teenagers.
I will own up to parking in the mother and child spots, when taking my mum shopping in the past. :D

Disclaimer, they ( Mother and child parking) tend to be closer than the "blue badge" spots, and they, the blue badge parking bays are usually full, with only half displaying badges.

You've got something there :(

I remember just being beaten to the last Blue Badge parking spot by a young woman - who got out of her car and ran to the lift !

I shouted at her - " How can you run like that with a blue badge ? "

Her response shook me - "I'm running to the Nursery for my son - the badge is his "- and she was running to a Nursery a good half a mile away . How the blue blazes was her son getting back to the car - parked , BTW , on the rooftop parking area of a local shopping centre !

I was supposed to be having an eye test - but with nowhere to park I had to go home :(

I remember just being beaten to the last Blue Badge parking spot by a young woman - who got out of her car and ran to the lift !

Her response shook me - "I'm running to the Nursery for my son - the badge is his "- and she was running to a Nursery a good half a mile away . How the blue blazes was her son getting back to the car - parked , BTW , on the rooftop parking area of a local shopping centre !

I was supposed to be having an eye test - but with nowhere to park I had to go home :(

Sorry I don't see what the issue is here?

She has done nothing wrong

Sounds to me like sour grapes just because you didn't get the parking spot you wanted

Same with parents who park in a kiddie spot and then pile out of the car with either no kids,
Not always as it seems though. I had this once. Alone in the car, I parked in a child space at Tesco. Some woman gave me a right old mouthful for parking in the spot. She was probably even more p'd off when I didn't respond and just walked into Tesco. After she had managed to find a space of her own she too went into Tesco and we bumped into each other again down one of the aisles. She was extremely embarrassed and apologetic when she saw me pushing my son along in a trolley as my son and wife were already in there.

Not always as it seems though. I had this once. Alone in the car, I parked in a child space at Tesco. Some woman gave me a right old mouthful for parking in the spot. She was probably even more p'd off when I didn't respond and just walked into Tesco. After she had managed to find a space of her own she too went into Tesco and we bumped into each other again down one of the aisles. She was extremely embarrassed and apologetic when she saw me pushing my son along in a trolley as my son and wife were already in there.

So you dropped them at the door and then found the spot?
Kinda negates the need for using it IMO.

At Lakeside shopping centre in Thurrock they have the whole ground floor of one of the many multi-story car parks specifically for blue badge holders, I've never seen it anywhere near even half full, it's policed by wardens so you will get a ticket for parking without a blue badge, yet on busy days especially on the run up to Christmas, I've seen cars parked on the grass verges as the car parks are full, all except the blue badge one.

So you dropped them at the door and then found the spot?
Kinda negates the need for using it IMO.
Actually I was meeting them there. But the extra space is there to make it easier getting kids back in the car, not just getting them out.

At Lakeside shopping centre in Thurrock they have the whole ground floor of one of the many multi-story car parks specifically for blue badge holders, I've never seen it anywhere near even half full, it's policed by wardens so you will get a ticket for parking without a blue badge, yet on busy days especially on the run up to Christmas, I've seen cars parked on the grass verges as the car parks are full, all except the blue badge one.

Even though I'm a blue badge holder, I sort of agree. Our local railway station at one point had about 30 blue badge bays, never saw more than half a dozen in use. They have cut them back considerably since though.

Seen plenty of examples of the other side though. When I go to the hospital, there are only 5 blue badge spaces in the outpatients car park. The far end of the car park is always empty with about 30-40 spaces available.

The blue badge has nothing to do with whether you can drive a car or not, it is issued to the person and not the car
I was joking Keith ;)
Although you do have to give the reg of the vehicle(s) that you are likely to be travelling in,
so it kinda relates to the vehicle as well as the person.

When I go to the hospital, there are only 5 blue badge spaces in the outpatients car park.
Not sure if you are referring to MK or Stoke but MK's a nightmare for blue badge holder places :(

I was joking Keith ;)
Although you do have to give the reg of the vehicle(s) that you are likely to be travelling in,
so it kinda relates to the vehicle as well as the person.

You would be surprised (or not) how many people are unaware that the blue badge is issued to a person and not a car

Never had to give any registrations numbers when I had my blue badge, used to have so many different people in various cars come and pick me up.

I prefer to try and walk or use public transport these days

You would be surprised (or not) how many people are unaware that the blue badge is issued to a person and not a car

Never had to give any registrations numbers when I had my blue badge, used to have so many different people in various cars come and pick me up.

I prefer to try and walk or use public transport these days

You have to give a registration number when applying for a blue badge but you're not tied to it.

Never had to give any registrations numbers when I had my blue badge,
I think it was only this or the time before, that Mum had to give registration numbers,
perhaps its a "local" thing?

Can't think why they need it though.
Paper work, someone obviously doesn't have enough to do, or at least thinks we don't :D

Sorry I don't see what the issue is here?

She has done nothing wrong

Sounds to me like sour grapes just because you didn't get the parking spot you wanted

She could have taken her car TO the nursery for her kid - there is a public car park [ free ] beside it and it's never full - and there are Blue Badge bays in it !

The push chair for her kid was actually IN the car - so was the little disabled boy going to walk the half mile plus to get to the car ? And I never spotted her blue badge

Yes I was irritated

I find it difficult to understand really. The majority of supermarkets etc have designated parking bays for both parent and child and blue badge holders. Often you find parent children bays are nearer the entrance than the disabled bays, why? Disabled folk who have blue badges usually have mobility difficulties, wouldn't you think that these bays would be nearer?

How though?
Do they not put the reg on the badge?
I'm sure my grandmother's had the reg on it for exactly that reason... although it was over 20 years ago and I was a child at the time, so my memory may not be wholly reliable...

Not in Scotland - the Blue Badge 'belongs' to the holder not the vehicle and we don't have time limits on parking - only need the clock thingy if we are in England.

wouldn't you think that these bays would be nearer?
As I noted above and you agreed with, its bloody crazy isn't it?
Its teaching the kids to be lazy too, being dropped at the entrance to a supermarket and 9/10 time at the entrance to a school.
When mine were young there were no such concession spaces, and generally we had to park away from the supermarket, so we could open the doors right up,
to unload the kids, the few extra yards walk never harmed them...

The other thing I've seen is pregnant women parking in the mother and child spaces, not that I have a problem with it,
but its not exactly with in the spirit of it is it? :D

I'm sure my grandmother's had the reg on it for exactly that reason... although it was over 20 years ago and I was a child at the time, so my memory may not be wholly reliable...

No reg number on the badge.

Not in Scotland - the Blue Badge 'belongs' to the holder not the vehicle and we don't have time limits on parking - only need the clock thingy if we are in England.

Yes, badge is with the holder, not the vehicle here as well. Didn't know you don't need the clock in Scotland. Not that it's been an issue personally, I've never parked anywhere with a time restriction that I've need more than 3 hours.

Nope and the other crazy thing is you don't display the picture of the person on the badge, just the expiry date which is on the other side :rolleyes:

Nope and the other crazy thing is you don't display the picture of the person on the badge, just the expiry date which is on the other side :rolleyes:

TBH, I'm not sure the photo being displayed would make any difference. I think the expiry date is probably more important as I'm sure plenty of people would try to get away with using expired badges.

I think the expiry date is probably more important as I'm sure plenty of people would try to get away with using expired badges.
I know they are supposed to be cracking down on the amount they issue, and the applications are getting tougher, so yes I can see some people would use an expired one,
but there is also nothing to stop me ( or anyone else) using it, when I'm alone, if the image is not displayed.
Its kinda crazy really, they should both be on the same side IMO.

I know they are supposed to be cracking down on the amount they issue, and the applications are getting tougher, so yes I can see some people would use an expired one,
but there is also nothing to stop me ( or anyone else) using it, when I'm alone, if the image is not displayed.
Its kinda crazy really, they should both be on the same side IMO.

True but the chances of you being around for a parking attendant to check the photo against your mug are probably pretty low although I do wonder why you need the photo in the first place when it's never displayed.

Still, at least I didn't have to pay for the photo as I did it myself. :D

As I noted above and you agreed with, its bloody crazy isn't it?
Its teaching the kids to be lazy too, being dropped at the entrance to a supermarket and 9/10 time at the entrance to a school.
When mine were young there were no such concession spaces, and generally we had to park away from the supermarket, so we could open the doors right up,
to unload the kids, the few extra yards walk never harmed them...

The other thing I've seen is pregnant women parking in the mother and child spaces, not that I have a problem with it,
but its not exactly with in the spirit of it is it? :D

On that note. I live in a small market town where all parking is free (I know very lucky) My husband who is disabled and has very restricted mobility needed to go to the barbers. I entered one of our local council car parks to find all blue badge spaces occupied, plenty other places were vacant but none which allowed me to open the door fully to help him out. There were a couple of parent/child places empty so I parked in one of those. I helped my husband out of the car and went with him to the barbers about 100 yards or so from the car. Once at the barbers I went back to the car to collect something to be met by a rather large lady with an equally large child about 5yrs old. She was parked in the next parent child bay. She waited for me to get to the car and then she let rip. She was was quite aggressive in her manner telling me I had no right to park in a parent child bay (correct I guess) that was meant only for parents with children etc etc. She saw the blue badge which set her off on " did I think because I had a blue badge I could park anywhere, why was I not in a disabled bay bla bla bla. I'm normally a very tolerant placid sort (some Geordies are;) but when she yelled "You don't look disabled to me there's nothing wrong with you" Well, that was enough. I politely thanked her for noticing I was indeed not disabled but my OH was who was in the barbers and what's more judging by her size and her obvious difficulty in breathing and red face whilst shouting the odds at me, could I suggest that she in fact parked at the opposite end of the car park or better still leave the car at home and walk.

Go girl! :)

The problem is this:

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/c...r-disabled-people-and-penalty-charge-notices/

Unfortunately, some take it literally and throw common sense out the window.

Yup, that was my point! IMO there should be more specific disabled spots available then those who are CSD (Common Sense Deficient) wouldn't park in dangerous places. Maybe such spots (dangerous places) should be marked with double red lines and be enforced better? (Like 20MPH zones at school drop off/pick up times?)

Last edited:
Set alarm clock, select lenses, grab tripod, pack filters and L bracket, drive to beach, set up impressive sunrise seascape with mist over the bay shrouding boats with the Eryri skyline and golden sky as backdrop...take shot to be informed there's no memory card. Memory cards all tucked up in a different bag at home. :clap:

Go home, go back to bed. :rolleyes:

Back