weekly Nat's Photo52 *2012* Week 51 Negative added 25 Dec

Hi Nat,

Dark, those little orange dots look like eyes, spooky! But nice DOF, and you've got the colour of the blueberries spot on.

Time, such a simple idea but very effective(y) I like the very close crop and there looks like a slight blur on the big hand which gives a hint of movement. More importantly the white is white and the black is black:clap:

Body, gruesome! I like the first one for the colours with the yellow background but the DOF is too shallow for me. The DOF and angle in the second shot is much better, I would have preferred the yellow background though!

Flight reshoot is excellent:clap:
Nathalie said:
I spent about two hours chasing the poor bees and ended up with a grand total of three in-flight and in focus shots.
I've been there! The little swines mock you, they sense you pressing the shutter and turn their little butts in your face:bonk: You did well and had a lot more patience than me!

Oh, Nathalie. Such beautiful pictures.

I agree with your comments for both of your body shots: the second better fits the theme, but I prefer the first picture. Both are really well done though.

Flight is lovely, the crop suits it very well. I love the burst of colour... I really can't find any faults here. Really, really good job!

Excellent colours and definition in the sharp bits of the body #1, although I think I agree with you, it's not really a body... more of a head ;)... body #2 works better for the theme I think

I think I've taken more photos in the last five days than I did in the previous 3 months put together! First, I stopped by WWT (Washington) in Sunderland on Sunday, then it was Dudley Zoo on Monday, followed by two days at Westcountry Wildlife Photography Centre in Devon, and then today, a trip to the local RHS gardens. I've gone through all the photos but I'm still trying to decide what, if anything, to use for the theme "Up".

Hi Nat :)

Still catching up... sorry not popped in for ages by the looks of it :bonk:

Re-Shoot - Symmetry - Nice colours, like the crop and love the background !!!

Dark - Works well for me, a real nice dark blue, liking the shallow dof... I'm a bit obsessed with them too

Time - Excellent, lovely sharp, precise image, the crop is perfect for me (y)

Body - Good Bright colour, not sure on body with it being now in the focal point, but a good idea again :)

Re-shoot - Flight - Excellent :clap: I tried the same thing for mine, god they are awkward little beggers to catch, nice one (y)

Body alternate - Wow... now were talking, i really like that :clap:

I think I've taken more photos in the last five days than I did in the previous 3 months put together! First, I stopped by WWT (Washington) in Sunderland on Sunday, then it was Dudley Zoo on Monday, followed by two days at Westcountry Wildlife Photography Centre in Devon, and then today, a trip to the local RHS gardens. I've gone through all the photos but I'm still trying to decide what, if anything, to use for the theme "Up".

That sounds an intersting trip - some miles too!

Hi Nathalie

hmmmm....I appear to have missed your 1st image for Body :bonk: The 2nd Body image....looks rather bedraggled poor thing :crying: Love the BG colors , as a macro type shot I like it for the detail you see in it's fur & headdd but for the theme , maybe more focus on the body ?

Flight....far better capture than I've ever managed of a little winged bug in flight , again great BG & lovely color in the flower .You've far more patience than me....never work with children,animals or flying bugs :LOL:

Week 36 - Up by C Fredriksson, on Flickr
1/1000sec f6.3 60mm ISO200

I had a few similar shots to choose from; some where the mouse was climbing up the stalk with green fields as backdrop, and then this, where it is facing the wrong way so to speak and the sky and the PoV are the only things that say "up". The reason I prefer this shot is because it has more DoF than the frames with green background, plus as you can tell, the sun was out.

Love it... and so cute to boot... Works for me for the theme

What they said.

Cracking photograph; nice and sharp, lovely colours (nice and warm) and liking the DOF. Might try a slightly tighter crop - top and left.

Great eye contact as well.

Liking this one a lot :clap:

Hi Nathalie

beautiful images for UP...particularly the 2nd one...love the BG colors....actually...just taken a nosey round your flickr stuff....theres an even better image there with the mouse right at the top of the stalk...beautiful beautiful....:clap::clap:

Now, please tell....where did you go to get these images....WCWPC is on flickr but I have no idea what/where that is & I'm feeling the need for a visit (y) SCRATCH THAT...JUST FOUND IT ON FLICKR...:)pants....just a tad to far away from me :-(

ps.....HAVE YOU SEEN...

TP 52'S END OF PROJECT MEET

Last edited:
Hi Nathalie

beautiful images for UP...particularly the 2nd one...love the BG colors....actually...just taken a nosey round your flickr stuff....theres an even better image there with the mouse right at the top of the stalk...beautiful beautiful....:clap::clap:

Now, please tell....where did you go to get these images....WCWPC is on flickr but I have no idea what/where that is & I'm feeling the need for a visit (y) SCRATCH THAT...JUST FOUND IT ON FLICKR...:)pants....just a tad to far away from me :-(
It was a long trip for me too (I'm in North Yorkshire if you remember) but I think it was worth it. :)

A ruptured achilles tendon means any photography I do over the next few weeks is likely to be indoors. But frankly, the photo52 is the least of my concerns right now as I live alone, up two flights of stairs, and walking used to be my only means of transport... All the simple everyday things are suddenly very complicated. Obviously it could be worse; it could be a broken leg or something really serious, but I'm normally very active and I know the next few weeks are going to be hard.

Right. I'm going to have my left leg in a cast for 9-12 weeks, which means until the end of November, I won't be exploring the neighborhood with my camera. Or at least, I can't go very far. If it's right outside the house, I can probably manage. Unfortunately, I don't have a garden and I live in town, so there are no nature subjects on my doorstep. I can still do this, complete the challenge, but my photos are going to be different to what you've seen up until now.

:hug: Nathalie, a ruptured Achilles is nasty:( It's ironic that broken bones are actually easier to mend, tendons are fickle beasts, especially that one! Will you need surgery to fix it? I wish you a speedy recovery and hope you're mobile again soon.
Thanks. I'm a very active person normally and the first few days I felt pretty sorry for myself. Even though I knew it was temporary, it was like my life had suddenly stopped -- I couldn't even manage the simplest tasks on my own. I don't like depending on other people. Asking for help is just not something I do unless I absolutely have to.

It's a partial rupture. The doc said he thinks about 50% of it is still intact and he reckons it will heal without surgery but only time will tell.

Odd duo.

Originally, I was going to photograph the cats for this theme, but then "Friendship" was drawn for week 39 and I thought I'd be better off saving the cat photo for that.

Anyway. I thought this was quite fitting, given my personal circumstances. Hopefully this particular duo will never be seen again once the cast comes off!

I gave it a soft look in PP, since my feet are in dire need of a pedi and all the imperfections just made it look very unappealing.

Last edited:
Oooo you got a very pretty pink cast! Pretty though it is I hope it's off much sooner than predicted.

I'm thinking the point of focus is wrong, as it seems to be the edge of the cast over the ball of your foot:thinking: The high key background works well though. Now I now you said you need a pedi, but I feel more needs to be in focus, perhaps all the cast leaving the tootsies slightly soft to hide what you don't like? Or get your toes made beautiful in a matching pink and have a reshoot?

Either way, well done for getting a shot at all (y)

Focus in the original image was on the toes, but because the skin was softened in PP, and the cast has a lot more texture than the skin to begin with, it may look like it's "wrong". I've re-shot it with more DoF. I had to use flash for this and the shadows bug me somewhat but it was never meant to be a piece of art. :p I've also processed it slightly differently. I can't do anything about the colour of my toenails because I do not own pink nail varnish and it is a PITA to even reach my toes. I do prefer the light in this version -- the toes look better.

Final entry for Duo:

Week 37 - Duo by C Fredriksson, on Flickr

Last edited:
Back