OFFICIAL I HAVE A NEW (FILM RELATED) TOY THREAD!!

I think you are confusing EV with LV.

EV is purely a function of shutter speed and aperture. LV is a measure of light.

At ISO 100 the numbers are the same.

Steve.

Yes, Steve, you're right, LV ( Light Value) is what I meant to say .... It's an age thing :LOL:

Appologies if I confused anyone!

I've amended my original post accordingly (y)

Last edited:
The F6 is still silly expensive. When cost is factored in, the F5 is the better of the two.

That's true but if I factored cost into my habit I wouldn't have 95% of my cameras :LOL:

Not specifically a film thing but I picked up a nice Nikon 24-85mm f2.8-4 from Ffordes this week. It was described as exc+ but I can't see a single mark on it anywhere, no dust in the glass either. I ordered it at 11.00 on tuesday and it arrived at 11.00 on wednesday, very impressed with the item, the service and the packing.

Andy

Finally got round to visiting pound land. 7 rolls of Agfa vista 36 200 Asa. Assistant said they didn't always have it. It'll be a novelty shooting in date film :)

Finally got round to visiting pound land. 7 rolls of Agfa vista 36 200 Asa. Assistant said they didn't always have it. It'll be a novelty shooting in date film :)

pondland in huddersfield often has 100's of packs

Few new toys well they range from 1937 (90mm f4 Elmar) through to 2004 (Voightlander 35mm f1.7 Ultron) with the Summicron 50mm f2 from 1956 on the M4 Leica from 1969.

Total cost of all with LTM/M adapters/hood was just under £1000.

Very nice combination there Ed....lovely :)

^^^^^^^

WHS, very nice indeed.

This little beauty came my way, courtesy of our very own mindofmel: it certainly seems to be sharp.

I've always fancied the aesthetics of this camera. Currently I'm giving it a right good thrashing and will take a month to establish whether it will overcome my personal indifference :wacky: to most rangefinders and thereby find a permanent-ish place on my shelf.:clap:

IMAG1223.jpg

Virginia creeper anyone?
012_12.jpg

003_3.jpg

011_11.jpg

Oh aye, here's the boss with my "bath chair"
023_23.jpg

This little beauty came my way, courtesy of our very own mindofmel: it certainly seems to be sharp. I've always fancied the aesthetics of this camera. Currently I'm giving it a right good thrashing and will take a month to establish whether it will overcome my personal indifference :wacky: to most rangefinders and thereby find a permanent-ish place on my shelf.:clap: Virginia creeper anyone? Oh aye, here's the boss with my "bath chair"

It's not a real rangefinder anyway! ;)

I had a G2 before and the lenses are superb, the 45/2 is as good as it gets image quality wise. Shame I didn't get on with the G system, just too auto for me.

Y That was testing against my Pentax MX. I've now set the X10 up to spot-meter, so it's not as helpful against the Weston; also, the aperture only goes down to f/9 for most of the zoom range, and maybe f/11 at best, so it's quite a faff as a meter.

3 stops seems an awful lot to me... Not happy right now. :(

are you sure you're setting it up right Chris ,,?
my weston v goes down to f1 !
and did you open the back up to let in more light ?

It's not a real rangefinder anyway! ;)

I had a G2 before and the lenses are superb, the 45/2 is as good as it gets image quality wise. Shame I didn't get on with the G system, just too auto for me.

Is my concern also. If it gets too auto I reach for digital! Need to make the decision before I go hunting for a 45mm lens.

Went to a friend's house for the weekend, and came back with a Nikon F-601, a 50mm 1.4, a 28mm 2.8, and a Vivitar 28-210 on a sale-or-return "I'll do you a nice deal, just get them out of my cupboard" basis. So I guess I need to get some 35mm film now, and I haven't even gotten the 120 film from the Yashica-Mat developed yet . . .

(I also got a Manfrotto tripod in return for dinner. God, that thing's heavy)

Great set of stuff. The 50mm f/1.4 is probably the score, and potentially the 28mm as well if it's one of the later Nikon versions.

My mistake - it's actually an AF Nikkor 24mm 2.8 (not a 28mm)

I did tell him that he should eBay it all, given that it's probably worth a lot more than I'd be willing to pay to play with film, but he was quite insistent.

I did turn down a Billingham bag, unseen, though. He really needs to eBay that.

Just got hold of this 5x4 pinhole camera.

It's an interesting design as it has the ability to switch between 3 different apertures; f120, f250 and f600, and also has built in red green and blue filters.

It has a serial number on it which suggests it was commercially made, but it's a bit Heath Robinson, although that adds to it's charm.

10382314204_e383e2e9e3_b.jpg
[/url][/IMG]
10382362276_f490a8817a_b.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

My mistake - it's actually an AF Nikkor 24mm 2.8 (not a 28mm)

I did tell him that he should eBay it all, given that it's probably worth a lot more than I'd be willing to pay to play with film, but he was quite insistent.

I did turn down a Billingham bag, unseen, though. He really needs to eBay that.

The 24mm is even better.

As for the Billingham - eBay is swamped with older Billinghams, of variable condition and wear, and they tend to be worth a lot less than most people think.

I've now set the X10 up to spot-meter, so it's not as helpful against the Weston; also, the aperture only goes down to f/9 for most of the zoom range, and maybe f/11 at best, so it's quite a faff as a meter
are you sure you're setting it up right Chris ,,?
my weston v goes down to f1 !
and did you open the back up to let in more light ?

Um, I was hasty and unclear! Re the Weston, yes I was using the back doors etc. BTW I've now sent it back to Colwyn Bay...

The f/11 statement was about using my X10 as a light meter; I had to put it in shutter priority, and kept getting red warnings because the aperture was too large, so having to reset the shutter. Doable, but maxi faff!

So if I were to buy a sub£100 meter, what would folks recommend?

I'd go for the Gossen Lunasix F, I have an earlier model but this is calibrated for now discontinued mercury batteries. The Gossen Lunasix F takes standard 9v batteries.

Last edited:
If rather than having a traditional style meter you are happy to have a digital meter then I'd recommend a Sekonic L-308B Flashmate Digital Meter. There is one for sale at the moment at the Vintage and Classic Camera Co for £69.00.

I would avoid anything that uses a selenium cell. I know that rules out all the Westons but age has taken its toll on most of the selenium meters I have.

I would recommend a Gossen meter. I have two, one is a Luna Pro, the other a Lunalite.

I believe that the Luna Pro is the US designation for the Lunasix 3. In any case this is my favourite, as it can be used most easily one-handed. It is accurate and good for low light. The down side is that it needs an expensive (~£30) adapter for non-mercury batteries.

The Lunalite is more modern and runs of a 9v PP? square battery. It's not so easy to use one-handed and doesn't look as nice as the older meter. Both meters give the same value under the same conditions, which is reassuring. I think you could get either one (including adapter) for less than £100

I believe that the Luna Pro is the US designation for the Lunasix 3. In any case this is my favourite, as it can be used most easily one-handed. It is accurate and good for low light. The down side is that it needs an expensive (~£30) adapter for non-mercury batteries.

This is the model that I have, apparently they can be recalibrated if you are handy with a screwdriver to take modern batteries. Personally, I chickened out and bought the adapter.

Gossen Lunasix F - Takes 9V batteries and has an optional spot metering adaptor. Nice and accurate, plus they can also be calibrated if they are a little out.
I got mine from Ffordes a few years ago on recommendation from Woodsy and it's not missed a beat.

(y)

No need to mess around with battery conversion and all that nonsense. Sekonic L-208, or if you want a slightly bigger meter, the L-308.

The L-308 is highly valued by people doing strobist work as well, so you can easily sell it on later.

H'mm surely the cheapest solution is to buy another film camera for about £15 for taking exposure readings also can be used for backup. A nice Rich KR-10 super with lens went for 99p + £7.19 postage.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ricoh-KR-...D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

That of course assumes the film camera being used as a meter is accurate and can be recalibrated if it's a bit off. Then comes the assumption that people want to carry another camera around with them, i know my Lunasix F is a hell of a lot lighter than my Canon A-1 and a lot more useful as a meter.

That of course assumes the film camera being used as a meter is accurate and can be recalibrated if it's a bit off. Then comes the assumption that people want to carry another camera around with them, i know my Lunasix F is a hell of a lot lighter than my Canon A-1 and a lot more useful as a meter.

Well yes but a £65-£100 is a lot of money to spend on an exposure meter just to take shots with one film camera and then the lens iris or shutter speeds might not be accurate on an old camera....and anyway it can't take pictures :)
The Olympus fans would say a OM2 is great for exposure readings and fits in a large pocket :shrug:

I find that taking the reading with my weston V and then transfering to the EV window gives me good values.

I find that taking the reading with my weston V and then transfering to the EV window gives me good values.

Well I used\bought a Weston in the distant past as my 35mm camera plus medium format camera had no light meter, when the silly exposure meter attachment that went on top of my Pentax S3 stopped working.
But when I used my RB67 last year...with an extra lens also in my backpack a 2nd camera to take exposure reading didn't add much to the total weight and also used the 2nd camera for other shots.

g.
But when I used my RB67 last year...with an extra lens also in my backpack a 2nd camera to take exposure reading didn't add much to the total weight and also used the 2nd camera for other shots.

It would absolutely do my head in to fanny arse about with another camera just as a light meter.
Ok for a one off maybe, but for good.......you must be joking.
You couldn't pay me to do it, I'd rather spend £500 on a meter than cock about like a numpty with 18 cameras round mi neck just to take meter readings...:D

I like my spot meter for MF, if I'm using a fully manual 35mm camera I'd generally use my phone app or just Sunny 8 it. Depends what I'm using it for I suppose.

I'm surprised the OM guys are not chipping as the camera will not only fit in a large pocket, and like the Canon T90 can can take spot readings on 8 different subjects and average the exposure out...well if the OM can't, then the T90 wins :)
Who would take a MF camera out to say the middle of the lake district or on holiday without a backup camera...if you are going to take a 2nd camera you might as well use it for exposure readings and take some extra shots with different lenses that you might not have for your MF camera.

Last edited:
Back