OFFICIAL I HAVE A NEW (FILM RELATED) TOY THREAD!!

A chap at work has a mint, boxed Nikon FM2 with all the trimmings and a Nikon 50mm f1.4, neither of which have been used for more 20 rolls of film. They are sitting in his loft doing sweet FA and I've been trying to persuade him to sell it to me but he won't. I managed to talk him into bringing it in for me to look at but he thinks its worth way more than I do, very unrealistic. I shall continue to work on him but he's one of those who would rather keep it locked away in the dark than sell it for less than he thinks its worth...git.

A chap at work has a mint, boxed Nikon FM2 with all the trimmings and a Nikon 50mm f1.4, neither of which have been used for more 20 rolls of film. They are sitting in his loft doing sweet FA and I've been trying to persuade him to sell it to me but he won't. I managed to talk him into bringing it in for me to look at but he thinks its worth way more than I do, very unrealistic. I shall continue to work on him but he's one of those who would rather keep it locked away in the dark than sell it for less than he thinks its worth...git.

h'mm don't even hint the word "Ebay" as the lens is worth more than the camera.

The FM2 i recently bought from West Yorkshire Camera's is super super minty and shows pretty much no noticable wear and I paid about £100 with 12 months warranty so could not see them being worth much more than that but each to there own, in 20 more tears maybe.

Sigma Zoom Super 70 by Deckard on Talk Photography

A curious Sigma compact that I couldn't pass up on eBay. Covered with a rubberised coating, it certainly looks purposeful. Battery a bit flat though so waiting on a new one to put through its paces.

Also found our old Olympus mju-1 whilst clearing out some boxes the other day, which was nice.

Just picked up a nice black Pentax MX with Pentax-M 28mm f/3.5 lens and a black winder, from @radiantvision on the forum. I tried taking some pics of it, but it's too murky in the flat and my X10 won't focus on the mass of blackness it represents! Wojtek threw in some batteries, but I haven't got it all set up yet. Plus a brick of Portra 400 and a tripod bag from Calumet, that's me officially skint...

Following on from the help, advice and opinions of some of you kind folk here in f&c, I took the plunge today and acquired a very nice Nikon F4 with MB-21 grip.

Already run a few frames through it and all appears ok.

Been cuddling it like a newborn all evening even though it is a beast of a baby :D

Just picked up a nice black Pentax MX

I was recently given a chrome MX and three lenses. I decided that despite it looking great, having a wonderful viewfinder and being superbly ergonomic, I didn't need another system so I gave it to a friend's daughter who is studying photography in school and wanted to get into film photography.

If it had been a black body, I think I might have kept it!

Steve.

This may be my shortest lived new toy ever having just got warning of a bill in for repairs to my car but my (like)new Yashica Mat 124-G arrived today with black leather case/strap and I'm amazed how mint it is;

Yashica Mat 124-G
by Steve Lloyd, on Flickr

Yashica Mat 123-G

Yashica Mat 123-G

Yashica Mat 124-G

Yashica Mat 124-G

I haven't put a roll of film through yet but the shutter cocks/fires nicely and the wind on mechanism is so much smoother than the early Yashica MAT I restored earlier this year :0) It's come with a PX625a (1.5v) battery so the meter is off but working perfectly. Hopefully I'll be able to keep it but will know in a few days :0(

Cheers
Steve

This may be my shortest lived new toy ever having just got warning of a bill in for repairs to my car but my (like)new Yashica Mat 124-G arrived today with black leather case/strap and I'm amazed how mint it is;

Yashica Mat 124-G

Yashica Mat 123-G

Yashica Mat 123-G

Yashica Mat 124-G

Yashica Mat 124-G

I haven't put a roll of film through yet but the shutter cocks/fires nicely and the wind on mechanism is so much smoother than the early Yashica MAT I restored earlier this year :0) It's come with a PX625a (1.5v) battery so the meter is off but working perfectly. Hopefully I'll be able to keep it but will know in a few days :0(

Cheers
Steve

Steve....that really is a thing of beauty. I love the look of those TLRs. I haven't used one for 30 years and am getting an itch to renew our acquaintance.

I know, that's why I'm more gutted about the bill I've got coming :0( I had a Yashica MAT a while back that I bought in pretty poor condition and refurbished but this camera is another level compared to that. I think i'm going to be listing this later on today depending on whether I can source the repair funds elsewhere.

Cheers
Steve

Just collected the Nikon FG and OM1 that Chris kindly picked up for me. New batteries in the FG and it works well, very compact and light. Need to try and get a battery for the oly, not convinced the meter is working, it's nice to have a mechanical camera that works with my collection of Om lenses.

What type is it Toni, the markings on this one don't correspond to anything in wiki and I'm being lazy... :D

I don't remember! I bought it for my own OM-1 though, I'm almost positive. Cost about 6 quid, was removed from the packaging... and then I learnt my OM-1's battery cable was corroded ;) I use it with a meter just fine though. I'll keep looking!

Don't worry about it, I'm sure the information is on the web I just need to go dig it up.

Tried looking on ebay at my purchase history and in the archive but it only goes back so far. Further than when I bought it but it's not there :\ weird! I'm pretty sure it's a 1.35v battery it takes which isn't made anymore so people substitute with 1.5v and adjust exposure as necessary. The one I have (had?) is 1.35v. I don't have any use for it so if I find it (going to get my husband to have a root around when he's home from work tomorrow too) you can have it!

Has that got a little rubber ring around the cell? Looks like the battery I took out but its not clear.

Thanks, that's what came out the camera.

Just found a roll of kodak in my changing bag, it must have fallen out when I opened the back of the oly in there to check it wasn't loaded.

Suppose I'll have to get it developed... Job for Asda I think, haven't got round to colour chemicals.

Wein Cells are good for use in older camera models which cannot use Mercury batteries anymore.

The downside to them is that they only have a lifespan of about 10-12 months once the sealing tab has been removed from one side of the battery, this is whether they are in daily use or not.

If the tab is still on the battery, you need to remove the tab 30 minutes before installing the battery into the camera. Failing to do this can cause gases inside the battery to be released into the cameras internals.

Just found a roll of kodak in my changing bag, it must have fallen out when I opened the back of the oly in there to check it wasn't loaded.

Suppose I'll have to get it developed... Job for Asda I think, haven't got round to colour chemicals.

Meant to mention that, Steven. Bit of a surprise! If there's anything surprising on there, I'm your witness that it did exist, rewound, before you got it!

Having been disappointed with selling my newly acquired Yashica 124-G to cover a car repair, I've cheered myself up by finding this rare piece of kit in a local shop window for a really good price (it's only money eh...)

Olympus 35 UC

It's in pretty much mint condition and the seals are about 90% there so i'm going to run a film through it to check for leaks before I replace them (once I pick up a Wein cell to test the meter too). The shop thinks they might have the original never-ready case too so I'm waiting to hear back from them about that. I've had a couple of Olympus 35 rangefinders in the past so am used to the handling of this although it's slightly larger than the RC I had and having read up a bit more on it, the UC seems to be the most uncommon model although it's basically an SPn with black trim. I can't wait to put some film through it now :0)

Cheers
Steve

Having been disappointed with selling my newly acquired Yashica 124-G to cover a car repair, I've cheered myself up by finding this rare piece of kit in a local shop window for a really good price (it's only money eh...)

Olympus 35 UC

It's in pretty much mint condition and the seals are about 90% there so i'm going to run a film through it to check for leaks before I replace them (once I pick up a Wein cell to test the meter too). The shop thinks they might have the original never-ready case too so I'm waiting to hear back from them about that. I've had a couple of Olympus 35 rangefinders in the past so am used to the handling of this although it's slightly larger than the RC I had and having read up a bit more on it, the UC seems to be the most uncommon model although it's basically an SPn with black trim. I can't wait to put some film through it now :0)

Cheers
Steve

That looks a beauty and a corker of a find.

I promised a pic of my new black Pentax MX, complete with black winder and the legendary Pentax-M 28mm f/3.5 lens, reputedly the sharpest M lens ever made... here it is alongside my existing silver MX (looking much more petite without the winder).

The test film was the first time I have ever used a winder on a film camera. It's a surreal experience... and a noisy one! Also it's surprisingly possible to get an image like this:

I think I ended up with 3 frames like that. It's probably not helped that I don't have a strap on it yet, so hand-holding between shots, with gloves on in the Edinburgh cold weather... I'll put some more shots up on the film shots thread.

Chris a fine pair of MX cameras. I am not sure what the collective noun for multiple pentaxs should be, perhaps an 'Asahi'.

Love the random winder shot! I have quite a few of those myself

That looks a beauty and a corker of a find.

Thanks Jao, I'm surprised at the condition myself :0) I've ordered a wein cell this afternoon so should get a roll through it early next week. Having given it a clean up I'm looking forward to shooting with it.

Steve

Reactions: Jao
Love the random winder shot! I have quite a few of those myself

It does have a small switch from C-Off-S but it's easy to misjudge it with gloves on. Lucky I didn't nudge it to C!

Hmm, good question.

/runs off to check.

Edit: yes and no. I'd lose a quarter inch off the edge and the back won't lock down quite right due to the way the pressure plate fits inside the camera. Back to the diy one for them I think, I'd be worried about cracking the plate with the pressure plate.

Last edited:
Hmm, good question.

/runs off to check.

Edit: yes and no. I'd lose a quarter inch off the edge and the back won't lock down quite right due to the way the pressure plate fits inside the camera. Back to the diy one for them I think, I'd be worried about cracking the plate with the pressure plate.

I'm not familiar with the camera Steven but perhaps the pressure plate is removable??........only if it doesn't involve butchering the camera of course.

Either way, another nice new toy you have there......enjoy(y)

Ooh Nice!!

get a body cap for your slr, drill a tiny hole in the centre and hey presto you have your very own pinhole kit...... Steveo might find his pinhole becomes a pothole if the camera swells in size when it gets wet!!!!! :D

get a body cap for your slr, drill a tiny hole in the centre and hey presto you have your very own pinhole kit...... Steveo might find his pinhole becomes a pothole if the camera swells in size when it gets wet!!!!! :D

Pothole!:LOL:... you make the pinhole sound so easy!

I'm not familiar with the camera Steven but perhaps the pressure plate is removable??........only if it doesn't involve butchering the camera of course.

Either way, another nice new toy you have there......enjoy(y)

pressure plate appears to be glued in place. Darn.

Pothole, you've clearly ridden up here!

Ooh Nice!!
Cheers, it is pretty. L

Back