OFFICIAL I HAVE A NEW (FILM RELATED) TOY THREAD!!

Mike, that's a nice bunch of kit but give yourself a break, get yourself some in-date film, even if it's only Poundland special Agfa Vista, shoot it and take it back to Tesco/Asda for processing. Using OOD film is all very well but it won't give you any idea whether the camera's exposing properly, has a sticky shutter, has light leaks etc.

Shoot yourself a solid test roll then go from there.
cheers nick sounds like a plan yeah just being a bit cheap really it was in the bag with the rest of the gear so i stuck it straight in (like you do) i'm at home at the moment as i've just had a double hernia operation so not quite mobile yet another week and i'll get some in date film is agfa vista colour film? i really am out of date myself on this i used to use ilford hp5

Your Asda were being lazy and careless if they devved your non-C41 film, as they ONLY do C41! Vista is a surprisingly good colour film, specially as a test film, but for more than that. It also converts to B&W pretty well (in PP). Can you guess what it costs?:D (Although you can pay more, eg by buying on the net.)

Have a chuff at the "First film camera..." sticky at the top of this forum, and see if there's anything there will help. That CZJ zoom can be pretty nice...

Your Asda were being lazy and careless if they devved your non-C41 film, as they ONLY do C41! Vista is a surprisingly good colour film, specially as a test film, but for more than that. It also converts to B&W pretty well (in PP). Can you guess what it costs?:D (Although you can pay more, eg by buying on the net.)

Have a chuff at the "First film camera..." sticky at the top of this forum, and see if there's anything there will help. That CZJ zoom can be pretty nice...
hi chris thanks for the help the czj has haze/fungus in the rear element nearest the camera body i took it to my local camera shop station cameras in reading (a proper camera shop) and they quoted £70 to get it cleaned ouch! might take a couple of frames with it just to see how bad it is held up to the light it seems quite "see through" but i'll have to check. have had a look at the sticky thats where i found the pdf for my manual,and yes i have rtfm :LOL:

Last edited:
I guess it's not really that new anymore, but when we were in Macau six weeks ago we managed to pick up one of those new Fuji Instax Mini 90s. It doesn't have the sharpest lens in the world, but it's a fun camera to have around. We got a really good deal on it, so much so that I was concerned that we'd been tricked in some way, but it's worked flawlessly since the day we bought it.

I just wish Fuji would now offer an Instax camera with manual controls.

took a very short walk with the dog (photo walk he he) how many times did i look at the back to check my shot ha ha :love: still loving it can,t wait to finish the roll normally shoot about 60-70 shots on a walk i took ........8
yep 8....... much more to think about new camera different operating system etc clicked twice with the camera switched off :bonk: love it love it love it

8....thats machine-gunning. Wait till you get dragged into medium format and you'll only shoot 8 a month and the large format guys haven't shot 8 between them all year.:LOL:
I've been back shooting film for about 3 years and I still sometimes check the back :bang:

Andy

8....thats machine-gunning. Wait till you get dragged into medium format and you'll only shoot 8 a month and the large format guys haven't shot 8 between them all year.:LOL:
I've been back shooting film for about 3 years and I still sometimes check the back :bang:

Andy
ha ha machine gunning back in the day......late 70s-early 90s i used to shoot a roll of 36 a week. mind you just out of hospital so everything very slow at the moment. already been looking at medium format and hav'nt finished my first roll of 35mm yet :LOL: i have never shot medium format so that would be a whole new ball game.:wacky:

11255071594_a92b040947.jpg

My Rollei affliction got the better of me this morning and I picked this up, a good user condition 35 with a Zeiss lens:) Please excuse the iPhone image:eek:

Last edited:
Something I came up with to help my annoyingly bad memory.

Pad-&-Stickers
by andysnapper1, on Flickr

Had them done at Vistaprint just to see how they would look

Something I came up with to help my annoyingly bad memory.

I used to keep exposure notes but after a while, I realised that I never looked at them - so why bother?!!

I will probably go back to it when I start shooting sheet film though.

Steve.

Found this in Huddersfield Used market, completely mint, boxed with instructions.
loaded a battery and a Fagva-Vista and of we go !

Reactions: Jao
I used to keep exposure notes but after a while, I realised that I never looked at them - so why bother?!!

I will probably go back to it when I start shooting sheet film though.

Steve.

Well, I will probably make a spreadsheet and colour code it, organise it by date and cross reference it by film and conditions. Good old OCD.:LOL:

Just won me a rare little Taron Chic on Ebay, as well as a Fujica Half. Slipping back into that half frame groove way too easily - but I do love them. The Taron is a camera I had way back that started my love affair with small-format cameras and I spent a good few hours getting it back into a working state. Then (stupidly) I sold it when I needed to "rationalise" the collection, regretted it ever since. They come up now and again for silly money but a good one is well worth £100 (to me at least) and I can't wait for it to arrive :D The Fujica has the standard iris not moving so easy to sort out, will make the perfect pocket camera while the Chic is a little more... well, chic :naughty:

Taron Chic, not seen one of those for many years, a strange but very interesting and unique camera

Yeah, only half frame sits sideways to take an upright pic :D

Fujica arrived today - bloody thing is bigger than I remember... now thinking old git's confusion has been cutting in here and I was thinking of the Canon Demi. Never mind though, now got it working properly again so time to chase me down a Canon!

Last edited:
Not exactly a new toy but I think I've got room for one more.

Edit: case weighs a bloody tonne.

Last edited:
I thought you already had one ?

C
I do, I just bought a flight case from maplin to try and protect the world from it (and keep the lenses together). Flight case is a little shallow but quite cheap at the moment and has pluck and pick foam to keep everything in place.

The Chic, very nice, very tasteful, very good working condition - even the meter is about bang on!​

View attachment 2208

... and the (not so) little Fujica Half, again now all working as it should be.
Meter is maybe half a stop on the low side but hey - it's film so not an issue but still pretty good for an old one :D

View attachment 2209

Both of these came with original manuals and cases too, the Chic even had the hand grip - rocking horse pooh if ever there was such a thing :eek:

I also spent way too many pennies on something you don't wanna hear about :muted:

Last edited:
Arthur, very nice half frames, the Fuji looks nice, the X100's very distant ancestor. The Taron is a stunner though!

Spill the beans on the other spend, although I suspect it is an electronicalistical camera:shrug:

Spill the beans on the other spend, although I suspect it is an electronicalistical camera:shrug:

Might be... could be possibly something of the X-Pro1 persuasion maybe. Does look sort of filmy though you think? :coat:

As per my intro thread that some of you may have seen, I picked up a Dynax 5 for a bit of fun. Whilst looking, a Canon AE-1 Program popped up on Ebay, it didn't sell so I contacted the seller and we did a deal.

The Canon came with......

Cannon FD 50mm 1.8 lens
Cannon flash, speedlite 177A.
Flash filters.
Cannon FD 35-70mm 3.5-4.5 lens with a cap.
Tokina SD 70-210mm 4-5.6 lens with skylight filter and cap.
Cannon FD 28mm 2.8 lens with a UV filter and cap.
2 rubber lens hoods.
Cannon BW-58C lens hood.
Cannon power winder A.
Cannon AE-1 program and flash hand books.
Aluminium case.

What sort of price would you put on the above? I obviously know what I paid for it and I'd like to think I got a good deal? It does have the dreaded cough (which I didn't know about at purchase), but not too bad (yet) and the lenses are in very good condition. I've put a roll of film in it so need to go play and see what happens now :)

So excited, just ordered a Hasselblad 500CM with 120mm f/5.6 Planar-S in chrome from KEH - at an absolute steal - apparently their BARGAIN condition grading might as well be Excellent, but I will save judgement until it arrives and report in. Fingers crossed it's all working and in good condition :)

Reactions: PMN
As per my intro thread that some of you may have seen, I picked up a Dynax 5 for a bit of fun. Whilst looking, a Canon AE-1 Program popped up on Ebay, it didn't sell so I contacted the seller and we did a deal.

Cannon FD 50mm 1.8 lens
Flash filters.
2 rubber lens hoods.
Cannon BW-58C lens hood.
Cannon power winder A.
Aluminium case.

What sort of price would you put on the above? I obviously know what I paid for it and I'd like to think I got a good deal? It does have the dreaded cough (which I didn't know about at purchase), but not too bad (yet) and the lenses are in very good condition. I've put a roll of film in it so need to go play and see what happens now :)

Well done..... out of my collection I use Canon most (most used in T70 that no one wants and you can pick up for a tenner :D ), not because they take better pictures but because the very good lenses are cheaper (well not so much now as some digital cameras can take these old FD lenses) and it's more versatile in that you can use old M42 screw lenses that Olympus and Nikon can't. The Canon cough is a nuisance and have fixed my AV1 and A1, the mint A1 was a shock as I picked it up for £35 with the F1.4 lens plus other goodies and it didn't have a cough when I tested it but at home found the mirror damping system that causes the cough, affected the mirror return in that it was too slow. Anyway a drop of oil and it's a lovely sweet sounding camera now.
There are three ways of putting a tiny drop of oil on the mirror system.....from the front, with top cover off, or bottom plate off, and if you google it will tell you how to do it, if you are stuck I will hunt for the links I used..if I remember right I took the top cover off for the AV1 and bottom plate for the A1.
For the price of your buy I have no idea as I deal in boot sale prices, so hope you are not offended in saying you paid £50-£70 (y) :exit:

Well done..... out of my collection I use Canon most (most used in T70 that no one wants and you can pick up for a tenner :D ), not because they take better pictures but because the very good lenses are cheaper (well not so much now as some digital cameras can take these old FD lenses) and it's more versatile in that you can use old M42 screw lenses that Olympus and Nikon can't. The Canon cough is a nuisance and have fixed my AV1 and A1, the mint A1 was a shock as I picked it up for £35 with the F1.4 lens plus other goodies and it didn't have a cough when I tested it but at home found the mirror damping system that causes the cough, affected the mirror return in that it was too slow. Anyway a drop of oil and it's a lovely sweet sounding camera now.
There are three ways of putting a tiny drop of oil on the mirror system.....from the front, with top cover off, or bottom plate off, and if you google it will tell you how to do it, if you are stuck I will hunt for the links I used..if I remember right I took the top cover off for the AV1 and bottom plate for the A1.
For the price of your buy I have no idea as I deal in boot sale prices, so hope you are not offended in saying you paid £50-£70 (y) :exit:

Thanks for the reply, I have looked on youtube for fix solutions and the front seems to be the easiest way. This guy has some good videos for repairs, so might follow his version.

As for the price, got the whole lot for £40 so can't complain ;)

Cannon FD 50mm 1.8 lens
Flash filters.
2 rubber lens hoods.
Cannon BW-58C lens hood.
Cannon power winder A.
Aluminium case.

You got an AE-1 in the end woohoo am pleased for you, i must admit since you was talking about them in your thread i have looked at a few on ebay, they do look really lovely cameras, looking forward to seeing your results

As for the price, got the whole lot for £40 so can't complain ;)

Wow good deal, the weak link is the 35mm-70mm but you should be happy with all the other lenses esp the very good 28mm...for oil it has to be very fine (no car engine stuff :) )

So. Bad day for being married I feel... electrical camera thing arrived couple of days ago, which was OK cos I had sold a few cameras and other stuff to pay for it. Today though, an R2 popped up for an unmissable price. I am officially toast :eek:

Also, I am officially looking for something of the LTM glass variety... must be cheap as decidedly skint for some reason :shrug:

PS - I know, but M glass is out of sight atm.

Last edited:
Arthur, some serious kit in the post just in time for Christmas shooting.

I have a Jupiter 50mm f2 LTM you are welcome to borrow until you secure some LTM Glass, not a summicron, but not bad either.

I do have a couple of adapters here Adrian, so at least getting the MD glass to fit should be a start, thanks for the offer. What I really want now is a 28mm industar but even that is eluding me right now just cos I am real spent out :eek:

I do have a couple of adapters here Adrian, so at least getting the MD glass to fit should be a start, thanks for the offer. What I really want now is a 28mm industar but even that is eluding me right now just cos I am real spent out :eek:
They are going for ridiculous prices recently.
I would hope no-one buys them and the prices will come down. Auction prices are a third to a half of the Ukranian/Russian 'Buy it Now' prices.

Tempted to buy a little Chajka with lens, but I already have too many half frames :(

(I don't believe I just said that!)

Back