OFFICIAL I HAVE A NEW (FILM RELATED) TOY THREAD!!

This should be on its way to me soon...

It's here... and the 200mm Nikor lens I just had to buy for it (it was in a sale!). Seen here on my father's old Linhof tripod which is of a similar vintage (1960s).

11860090876_229dae6b5d_c.jpg

Steve.

The lens came from London Camera exchange reduced from £99.99 to £69.99 in their sale, so employing women's shoe/handbag buying logic, that means I have £30 to spend on something else!

Steve.

My 2nd foray into this thread following my abject failure the 1st time around (never got around to using the toy).

As some may know, I decided this is going to be the year I actually start using film properly. The instrument of this grand design arrived today.

Hopefully I'll get some film loaded into it at the weekend.

The lens came from London Camera exchange reduced from £99.99 to £69.99 in their sale, so employing women's shoe/handbag buying logic, that means I have £30 to spend on something else!

Steve.

Yes but you're a man so that means you give her the £30 :D:D

Nice, I still fancy a Super Ikonta the moskva didn't really hit the spot.

First impressions are good. The coupled rangefinder is superb. The viewfinder might take a bit of getting used to though.
It'll do for a couple of years until I get what I really want - Mamiya 7.

Nikon>LM adapter arrived today - R2 now armed and dangerous with the Nikkor 50mm f1.4

View attachment 3770
Bloody hell Arthur, that's hardly made for discreet street photography :LOL: Does it actually focus in the patch or do you have to guess?

Nah it's guesswork. Fun though :naughty:

On the "other" body it gives pretty much perfect colour straight from the camera... looking forward to getting out with it soon.

Ok going to join this section now, ever since I was a kid i wanted to have my own "proper camera" but funds never ever allowed me to enjoy.
Then came the digital age and many years later i managed to get into photography. but still had an inclining for film, and after the throwaway camera challenge last year and the year before it got me the bug.
There was a canon EOS 300V on the local Guernsey Ebay so made on offer of £12 and i am now the happy owner of said camera. All I need to do now is get some film and start to take some pictures.

Ok going to join this section now, ever since I was a kid i wanted to have my own "proper camera" but funds never ever allowed me to enjoy.
Then came the digital age and many years later i managed to get into photography. but still had an inclining for film, and after the throwaway camera challenge last year and the year before it got me the bug.
There was a canon EOS 300V on the local Guernsey Ebay so made on offer of £12 and i am now the happy owner of said camera. All I need to do now is get some film and start to take some pictures.

A few guys here use digital for general photography and film for the serious\fun stuff, I suppose "variety is the spice of life" ;)...enjoy.

Hi Spike, well apparently there isn't a Poundland in Guernsey, so you're out of luck for cheap Agfa Vista unless you can get someone from elsewhere to post some to you (and postage of >£2 is now a killer for a £1 film!). But there must be a Boots, and my local one is still doing their "buy one get one half price" promotion on film. They stock Fuji Superia 200 and 400 (also C200 in "holiday packs", which I believe is the same as Vista), Kodak Gold, and 3 black and white films: XP2 and BW400CN, which are "C41 process" black and white, processed at Boots or any processor, and HP5, a traditional black and white film. These 3 are all £6.99 for 36 here. Since it's a holiday destination there must be other places you can buy film as well, and like the rest of us for more exotic stuff you'll probably be going mail order!

Looking forward to seeing some results.

Aren't 7dayshop based on Guernsey? Although they probably don't allow collection.

That's great and you have beautiful surroundings at your finger tips to use. Looking forward to seeing your first shots. oh and welcome aboard.

Aren't 7dayshop based on Guernsey? Although they probably don't allow collection.

Their website is coy about location, but does say they have moved to mainland UK. I presume that was when the change in small package VAT arrangements with the Channel Islands came into force, hence the accompanying price rise.

Info about 7 Day Shop

7dayshop.com Limited
Contact details
Customer Services
Warehouse b
Postley Road
Kempston
Bedfordshire
MK42 7BU
United Kingdom

Thats just around the corner from me! I wonder if they do collection...

EDIT: Damn, apparently not...

Last edited:
Thanks for the welcome guys, as for film I bought some cheap from online just to make sure the camera works, once that is done I will treat mysef to some good stuff as you say lol.

7 dayshop moved off island one the cheap VAT exclusion went out of the window. They used to do collection when over here, which was handy.

Hopefully will start getting to grips with it, doubt I will ever go down the route of developing myself but as they say never say never

The last piece in the (current) jigsaw arrived today or should I say, yesterday. Don't you just hate it when you get home to find the RM card on the mat just as the sorting office is closing?

Anyway, I already had the 28mm & 50mm for the OM10. Today, it was joined by the 135mm.

Well as of today I am officially a film photographer, well ok I have a camera a lens and yes you guessed it my film turned up today, did not know what to order but seeing as it was just to try the camera out I bought some Kodak colorpluss 200, 24 exposure.

I took out the first rool and put it in the camera and it wound it on so so far so good the camera accepts film, all i need now is some decent weather and get out there and put all my skills to work (limited as they are).

Watch this space

The last piece in the (current) jigsaw arrived today or should I say, yesterday. Don't you just hate it when you get home to find the RM card on the mat just as the sorting office is closing?

Anyway, I already had the 28mm & 50mm for the OM10. Today, it was joined by the 135mm.

The 135, like the others, is a cracking lens. That's basically my OM set up too.

Well my digital setup is a 30mm, 50mm and 105mm and I wanted similar for the OM10. Big difference is that the whole film kit (including the camera) only cost £148!

Yeah film stuff really is nice and cheap, even the equivalent for the rb cost me less than £500 though I could maybe do with something longer on that. Hate to think what that would have cost 25 years ago...

What gets me is the condition of this stuff. Some of it is 30+ years old and it looks new!

oh i agree im using a nikon F1.4 50mm as my go to and its mint and cruising 25 years old, i paid the crazy £99 quid for it, outragous.

pack of 2 x unopened expired 2006 kodak 400 colour looks like never been out of box £1

Agfa Isola with pastic case all looks mint some small dust inside lens will look to see if i can get in to clean £4

Reactions: Jao
From the annual Rotary Club charity sale, a Coronet 6-6 for £1

1619519_10151880144422011_885184098_n.jpg

I was pleased to discover that it had a wide angle 65mm lens rather than the usual 80mm found on most 6x6 cameras.
Shutter speed - 1/60 Aperture f13

It only has two controls. Film advance and shutter release!

Steve.

Reactions: Jao
Simple yet efficient... I like.

Praktica MTL5. Picked it up around a month ago for £9.99 but have only just got round to jury rigging a battery to get the meter working.

Praktica MTL5. Picked it up around a month ago for £9.99 but have only just got round to jury rigging a battery to get the meter working.

A hearing aid battery would work (cheap for a packet)....the larger one should fit, if not use a bit of packing..........I have loads for my hearing aid but they are all small ones so I put a 1.5v battery in old cameras and adjust the ASA.

Thanks. I got a brass PX-625 shaped adapter off of ebay & am using this with a hearing aid battery. The batteries that I picked up are quite small also so I needed to sort out a combination of metal & rubber washers to get the battery to sit right in it. It works a treat now I have got it sorted so am quite happy.

Got me a new toy today - anything I should know before whapping a film through?

It's the older G model with 1/500" fastest shutter and ISO500 max film speed.

Yashica.jpg

Have treated my Nikon F5 to a 50mm F1.8 AFD Nikkor. £90 new on Ebay. Probably a grey import that Nikon UK won't touch if it breaks but it has a 12 month seller warranty & after that should it break, it would be cheaper to buy another than get it repaired by Nikon anyway. Had to get an 18-55mm DX lens fixed last year & I could have bought a new one for the cost of the repair.

Got me a new toy today - anything I should know before whapping a film through?

Not especially. General ownership information - very easy to use a 6V battery and a bit of foil to replicate the old, now banned, 5.6V batteries that the camera was originally designed for.

The other main thing (apart from seals) is the pad of death (POD) issue, which is documented if you Google search.

The 45mm f/1.7 is a good performing lens, nice and constrasty and the aperture priority system is generally idiot-proof.

Thanks mate - will whap a film through ASAP and see what happens :)

Back