The Fabulous Fuji X owners thread

I want to add to my Fuki system, I have the X-T1, 18-55 & 35 f1.4. I've been thinking about a wider fast prime, but can't decide between the following:

• XF14mm F2.8 R
  • XF16mm F1.4 R WR
  • XF18mm F2 R

I fancy the 14 because of the wide angle, the 16 due to the aperture and WR, and the 18 because of the size.

It's actually starting to do my head in... I may just go for the 16mm as it sits in the middle, but am I missing anything with the other 2 lenses ?

Optically the 18 is inferior to the others but it's still good - much cheaper than the others too ?

Ive never used any but i have heard and read that the 14mm is a corker of a lens.

I want to add to my Fuki system, I have the X-T1, 18-55 & 35 f1.4. I've been thinking about a wider fast prime, but can't decide between the following:

• XF14mm F2.8 R
  • XF16mm F1.4 R WR
  • XF18mm F2 R

I fancy the 14 because of the wide angle, the 16 due to the aperture and WR, and the 18 because of the size.

It's actually starting to do my head in... I may just go for the 16mm as it sits in the middle, but am I missing anything with the other 2 lenses ?

The XF14mm is brilliant, but if WR and f1.4 are a requirement then go for the 16mm. As @justa1972 says the 18mm isn't Fuji's greatest moment, but it's compact (but the 14mm isn't exactly huge, and still good at f2.8)

[
url=https://flic.kr/p/pWmQJq]slug_sm[/URL] by Mr Perceptive X100, on Flickr

More here:- https://www.flickr.com/photos/89667368@N05/albums/72157643112473214

Hope that helps.

@Jelster The 14 would also share the same hood as your 18-55 as well as any filters you may already have for it.. If keeping your kit small and light is important I would say it's the one to go for. The 16 is a superb lens but is quite big compared to your other two lenses.

The 18mm isn't all that bad. If your pixel peeping or shooting where CA is likely going to obviously rear it's ugly head then I'd rule it out. The edges get a little soft too but it still produces some great images and is rather compact!

https://flic.kr/p/FBktTZ

I know it's a shot containing movement and it's black and white but could I have gotten anything obviously better from using the 14 or 16mm? Probably not.

Ps.. How do you add Flickr pics? #noobquestion :D

The 18mm isn't all that bad. If your pixel peeping or shooting where CA is likely going to obviously rear it's ugly head then I'd rule it out. The edges get a little soft too but it still produces some great images and is rather compact!

https://flic.kr/p/FBktTZ

I know it's a shot containing movement and it's black and white but could I have gotten anything obviously better from using the 14 or 16mm? Probably not.

Ps.. How do you add Flickr pics? #noobquestion :D

The other thing to consider though is that the same shot could have been taken with the 18-55 which he already has.

To add flickr shots, just click the share icon and select the bbcode tab. Copy and paste the text to here.

Last edited:

• XF14mm F2.8 R
  • XF16mm F1.4 R WR
  • XF18mm F2 R

Would it be rude of me to suggest the Samyang 12mm at this point?

14mm is probably my most used lens as I like to get close to stuff.

Wind it In by Alan Jones, on Flickr

This is one I took with it on Wednesday.

I used to have the Samyang 12mm but it did my head in getting my fingers in shot from Manual focussing, and it lacking contrast compared to the Fujis. It was (is) a good lens though.

• XF14mm F2.8 R
  • XF16mm F1.4 R WR
  • XF18mm F2 R

The 16mm is a stellar lens, I bought one as I wasn't happy with the distortion at 16mm on the 16-55, its sharp, contrasty and just great! It is bigger but compared to a full frame equivalent 25mm it really isn't!!

What was your opinion on the 10-24mm?

I don't know what Greggs answer to this will be, I'm sure he'll reply pretty soon. But my answer would be it's "Excellent".(y)

George.

I don't know what Greggs answer to this will be, I'm sure he'll reply pretty soon. But my answer would be it's "Excellent".(y)

George.

Thanks for the reply!
I've decided to go for the 23mm now.......hope it's the right decision,just need to off load my 27mm once I've sourced a 23mm!

Thanks for the reply!
I've decided to go for the 23mm now.......hope it's the right decision,just need to off load my 27mm once I've sourced a 23mm!

The 23mm is probably as good optically as any Fooj lens, I've not used mine for ages as its a FL I just cannot get on with. For me its neither long enough or wide enough. All down to personal taste and the way each of us prefers to work of course, what's perfectly fine for one person won't always suit another.(y)

George.

Not temped to wait for the 23mm F2 WR thats coming soon ?

Actually crossed my mind,any idea of the price of it?.........either way it's going to be more expensive than the standard 23mm,I might just wait and read the upcoming reviews and take it from there!

Expensive hobby isn't it!

The 23mm is probably as good optically as any Fooj lens, I've not used mine for ages as its a FL I just cannot get on with. For me its neither long enough or wide enough. All down to personal taste and the way each of us prefers to work of course, what's perfectly fine for one person won't always suit another.(y)

George.

Yes indeed,also looked at the 16mm too,currently have the 18-135mm and 27mm!
Decisions eh??

Actually crossed my mind,any idea of the price of it?.........either way it's going to be more expensive than the standard 23mm,I might just wait and read the upcoming reviews and take it from there!

Expensive hobby isn't it!
Not necessarily as it'll be f2 instead of f1.4 and thus smaller and lighter.

Look at the 35mm which took the same route (ie 1.4 then released as an f2).

Not necessarily as it'll be f2 instead of f1.4 and thus smaller and lighter.

Look at the 35mm which took the same route (ie 1.4 then released as an f2).

You seem to pay a premium for Weather resistance though.....don't you think?

You seem to pay a premium for Weather resistance though.....don't you think?
It might even out cost wise, but don't see it being any more expensive than the f1.4 new.

Of course, if you're looking at used it may be irrelevant.

Would it be rude of me to suggest the Samyang 12mm at this point?

Probably, I don't want to faff around with manual focus, my eyes aren't great, and shooting through varifocals means it's a bit hit and miss at times.

I'm expecting the 23mm F2 WR to be a similar price to the 35mm f2 so around £300 ?

If so I will probably raid the piggy bank

What was your opinion on the 10-24mm?

It's superb, very very good. But it's bigger than I liked, my Fuji kit needs to be small, hence the 12mm. I've got a small ONA Bowery bag, and if it doesn't fit in, it doesn't get taken [emoji3]

Couple of shots from a trip to Windsor & Eaton yesterday...

Windsor2 by Steve Jelly, on Flickr

Windsor4 by Steve Jelly, on Flickr

Windsor6 by Steve Jelly, on Flickr

I really do need to expand my lens collection though. All shot on the X-T1 and the 18-55 with a polarising filter.

Nice set of images Steve, particularly liking #2 with well balanced composition, and nice colour, the PF has certainly done its job in this case. The optical quality of the 18-55mm lens never ceases to impress me.(y)

George.

That's a great shot Chris, and if you don't mind me saying it appears to be crisper than your last incarnation of this scene.(y)

George.

Thanks George and yes I agree with you, which is odd seen as this one was handheld and the previous was on the tripod!

Right chaps, thoughts please...

We may be going on a brief trip to Kenya next month so I'm wondering about lenses for safaris. I already have the 18-135 which I really like but I'm assuming this won't be long enough to be ideal. Obviously the 100-400 would be the best bet, but it's getting on for triple the price of a 55-200.

What would you do? Would I really miss the extra reach, particularly given I probably won't get much use from the 100-400 outside this trip.

Right chaps, thoughts please...

We may be going on a brief trip to Kenya next month so I'm wondering about lenses for safaris. I already have the 18-135 which I really like but I'm assuming this won't be long enough to be ideal. Obviously the 100-400 would be the best bet, but it's getting on for triple the price of a 55-200.

What would you do? Would I really miss the extra reach, particularly given I probably won't get much use from the 100-400 outside this trip.

50-230 is pretty good, very nearly on a par with the 55-200, longer reach and cheaper too ( yes, I have both so can make honest comparisons)

Light shouldn't be a problem so min aperture isn't much of a concern, reckon iq would very similar to your 18-135

Last edited:
50-230 is pretty good, very nearly on a par with the 55-200, longer reach and cheaper too ( yes, I have both so can make honest comparisons)

Light shouldn't be a problem so min aperture isn't much of a concern, reckon iq would very similar to your 18-135

Great lens the 18-135mm!

Back