The Fabulous Fuji X owners thread

Right chaps, thoughts please...

We may be going on a brief trip to Kenya next month so I'm wondering about lenses for safaris. I already have the 18-135 which I really like but I'm assuming this won't be long enough to be ideal. Obviously the 100-400 would be the best bet, but it's getting on for triple the price of a 55-200.

What would you do? Would I really miss the extra reach, particularly given I probably won't get much use from the 100-400 outside this trip.

Well, I'm lucky enough to have a 100-400 and a pair of teleconverters but if I didn't, I'd get in touch with StewartR at lensesforhire and rent a 100-400 and the 1.4x telecon (about £200 for a fortnight for the pair.) It's a bit of a shame that the 1.4x telecon physically won't fit behind the 55-200 (or 50-230) but the telecons actually make contact with the rear elements of the non-suitable lenses.

Well, I'm lucky enough to have a 100-400 and a pair of teleconverters but if I didn't, I'd get in touch with StewartR at lensesforhire and rent a 100-400 and the 1.4x telecon (about £200 for a fortnight for the pair.) It's a bit of a shame that the 1.4x telecon physically won't fit behind the 55-200 (or 50-230) but the telecons actually make contact with the rear elements of the non-suitable lenses.

I'd definitely hire if I could. Sadly I'm in the UAE so it's not an option. On the plus side our relative proximity to Nairobi makes the trip feasible in the first place, so I shouldn't complain too much!

The XC looks reasonable, and it's one I'd forgotten about. Will have a trawl of flickr :)

Very nice George, cracking colours. I wander how much they want per night for the green one [emoji38]

I saw this desirable residence to let while out along a local seafront.

X-T1, 10-24mm Lens @ 10mm FL, 1/680th @ F5.6, ISO-200, Handheld.
One To Let-02983 by G.K.Jnr., on Flickr

:ty: for looking and any comments welcome.,(y):fuji:

George.

George, Nice concept and well framed, but I would make the huts punchier or dumb down the sky, when I look at the picture I see the blue sky as the dominant colour, when I think you wanted to make the beach huts dominant!!

Some of the colours on your stacked beach huts on your flickr stream are better, mainly because the sun is on them, where the the ones in this thread are in the shade.

No rendition on those huts - they're plain painted breeze blocks...

:coat:

Tonight I was watching the glorious light falling on our back garden from the living room window so I decided to pop Samia on the window.
Now shooting an already back lit subject is not my forte more so when there is glass between light and subject but I decided to put the YN 560 IV on the camera with the little white pop up card up.

Settings were 1/125th, f5.6, 55mm, ISO800 and manual flash at 1/4 power

Samia by Stuart Pardue, on Flickr

Last edited by a moderator:
Very nice George, cracking colours. I wander how much they want per night for the green one [emoji38]

Many thanks Gregg, much appreciated comments.(y)

"I haven't the slightest idea how much they are to lease, but going by the price of these things in other places I should imagine they are silly expensive".

George.

George, Nice concept and well framed, but I would make the huts punchier or dumb down the sky, when I look at the picture I see the blue sky as the dominant colour, when I think you wanted to make the beach huts dominant!!

Some of the colours on your stacked beach huts on your flickr stream are better, mainly because the sun is on them, where the the ones in this thread are in the shade.

Many thanks David, much appreciated comments.(y)

"Some good points there re the presentation, the other beach hut shots I'll post at another time".

George.

Ah you cant be the classic multi coloured beach huts!!! Nice rendition you have here too!

Many thanks Stuart, much appreciated comments.(y)

George.

Lens advice please.

Would anyone recommend the 18-55 over the 16-55 and does the 18-55 perform well on the 24 mega pixel sensor?

If I were to go with the 18-55 as part of the Xt2 kit and wanted to add two lenses - what would you go for? I don't shoot sports, I do shoot pretty much everything else.

Cheers

Last edited:
Lens advice please.

Would anyone recommend the 18-55 over the 16-55 and does the 18-55 perform well on the 24 mega pixel sensor?

If I were to go with the 18-55 as part of the Xt2 kit and wanted to add two lenses - what would you go for? I don't shoot sports, I do shoot pretty much everything else.

Cheers

Adam the 18-55 has a lot going for it, very good IQ, small size, OIS and of course price, its a lot cheaper than the 16-55.
The 16-55 however has the f2.8 aperture, goes to 16mm v 18mm and in my experience better image quality, however given that even a used 16-55 is likely to be around £600 now is it really worth that much more over an 18-55? Possibly not if you don't need 16mm at the wide end or the f2.8....

Oh and if I was buying the 18-55 I'd probably add a general prime such as the 23mm 1.4 or 35mm f2 to my kit alongside it and maybe a 12mm for wide angle or 55-200 for length? Depends what you want to shoot really.

Last edited:
Is it just me or does anyone else get mixed up with the 16-50 and the 16-55?
The post above I assumed they meant the cheaper 16-50 vs the higher quality 18-55.

Three lenses I would pick are zooms, 10-24, 18-55 and 55-200, all have ois and cover a good range of focal lengths.

Yes there are bigger faster and dearer lenses, but these three give good results without being too large or heavy and won't break the bank

Adam the 18-55 has a lot going for it, very good IQ, small size, OIS and of course price, its a lot cheaper than the 16-55.
The 16-55 however has the f2.8 aperture, goes to 16mm v 18mm and in my experience better image quality, however given that even a used 16-55 is likely to be around £600 now is it really worth that much more over an 18-55? Possibly not if you don't need 16mm at the wide end or the f2.8....

Oh and if I was buying the 18-55 I'd probably add a general prime such as the 23mm 1.4 or 35mm f2 to my kit alongside it and maybe a 12mm for wide angle or 55-200 for length? Depends what you want to shoot really.

Nice comments. When purchased with the xt2 the 18-55 is about 260 or thereabouts. I was thinking 16mm and 56mm. However, that's a big overlap so maybe no need for the zoom? I already have 23 covered with my x100t and I'm not a huge fan of 35cc focal length. This is a tough decision. Lucky I have time.

Three lenses I would pick are zooms, 10-24, 18-55 and 55-200, all have ois and cover a good range of focal lengths.

Yes there are bigger faster and dearer lenses, but these three give good results without being too large or heavy and won't break the bank

How about the 18-135mm?

Nice comments. When purchased with the xt2 the 18-55 is about 260 or thereabouts. I was thinking 16mm and 56mm. However, that's a big overlap so maybe no need for the zoom? I already have 23 covered with my x100t and I'm not a huge fan of 35cc focal length. This is a tough decision. Lucky I have time.

With the 18-55, 16 and 56 would be an awesome combo actually not any overlap technically.... the 16mm is a stunning lens and the 56mm is too although not really to my focal length tastes so I'm going to let mine go!

I've never really enjoyed shooting long zooms like that, albeit I've only shot them using Nikon.
If long zooms are out, I think you'l do just fine with the 18-55. Maybe upgrade to the 16-55 if you feel the need. Honestly, image wise I don't find myself wanting any primes over the 18-55. The only prime i'm considering is the 35, but only for the size, and the fact it looks so damn awesome. ;)
The shorter primes are just too similar, offering maybe a stop or so more bokeh in exchange for OIS. The only prime that does something radically different to the zoom is the 56, since at the long end the zoom is several stops slower.

How about the 18-135mm?

No thanks, not keen on the jack of all trades type lenses. When I bought my X-T1 it had a voucher you could apply for that gave £250 of the then yet to be released 18-135.

Thought about it, bit big and weighty for a walk about zoom and slow'ish variable aperture didn't appeal either.

Bought the Fuji to lighten the load and for what I photograph the lenses I have suit me fine.

Do also have the 14mm, 35mm and 60mm, but use the zooms most of the time

Last edited:
If long zooms are out, I think you'l do just fine with the 18-55. Maybe upgrade to the 16-55 if you feel the need. Honestly, image wise I don't find myself wanting any primes over the 18-55. The only prime i'm considering is the 35, but only for the size, and the fact it looks so damn awesome. ;)
The shorter primes are just too similar, offering maybe a stop or so more bokeh in exchange for OIS. The only prime that does something radically different to the zoom is the 56, since at the long end the zoom is several stops slower.

The problem, using the word in a very lose sense, is all Fuji's glass seems top notch. Zooms and primes alike. Makes for some seriously tough decision making for someone stepping into the xt2 x100t combo from the d750 x100t . Wish I was such enough to buy it all....

Been thinking of picking up a 10-24mm or 16mm but can't make my mind up!
Secondhand values are strong,although not many about of either!

My walkabout rucksack kit consists of a X-E2 with the XC 16-50 and 50-230 zooms.

Being honest they are nearly as good as their XF counterparts, more plastic and slower, but wider focal length range and considerably cheaper.

Suppose it's a bit daft, but I use this combo far more than the others, it's that old saying best camera is the one you have with you

Been thinking of picking up a 10-24mm or 16mm but can't make my mind up!
Secondhand values are strong,although not many about of either!

None of the wide options are poor, the 10-24 is very good albeit only f4, I love the 16mm personally but the 14mm is also a great lens and noticeably cheaper used than either of the other two.

My first 3 fuji lenses were the 14mm f2.8, 35mm f1.4 and the 55-200mm. I used this setup for almost a year and covered all my needs.

Tonight I was watching the glorious light falling on our back garden from the living room window so I decided to pop Samia on the window.
Now shooting an already back lit subject is not my forte more so when there is glass between light and subject but I decided to put the YN 560 IV on the camera with the little white pop up card up.

Settings were 1/125th, f5.6, 55mm, ISO800 and manual flash at 1/4 power

Samia by Stuart Pardue, on Flickr
Lovely capture [emoji4]

How about the 18-135mm?

My starter Fuji kit was the X-Pro1 with the 18mm and a free 60mm. When I got that kit, I ordered the 18-55 and 55-200 zooms for convenience (a lot of places I shoot, foot zoom simply isn't possible!). When I got the X-T1 as well, I went for the 18-135 since 1) it's WR and 2) the extra reach is handy! At some point, I added the 10-24 since I love wide angles and I've also now got a 100-400 with the 1.4x and 2x telecons so I have pretty much all the focal lengths covered. SO much lighter than a DSLR kit with comparable FL range. The travel kit is now both bodies with 10-24, 18-135, 18mm prime and the 100-400 with the telecons.

My 23mm is back at Fuji for a complete new rear lens assembly.
Anyone used their service? They promise I'll have it back by Friday. Are they that good?

I managed to get one of the three XF 55-200 zooms from the Fuji Refurb website at the end of last week. It arrived yesterday – absolutely mint and unused, albeit with the old version 1.12 firmware (which I updated to 1.2). I thought I’d give the lens a test – particularly the OIS. So with the dog on a lead in one hand and my XT-1/55 to 200 in the other I went down to the Solent as dusk was approaching. There was nothing spectacular to shoot – it was windy, the dog was trying to get at the swans and I was shooting with one hand – and I have to say that the OIS was remarkable.

These are just quick shots - nothing fancy or 'considered' - the first shot is of Titchfield Haven – note the liner disappearing into the distance on yet another cruise:

TH-1_zpszq6qv7uu.jpg

The second is of Calshot Power Station and Esso Fawley in the dusk – both cropped to 16x9 (which I find most appealing)

TH_2_zpsmgbmgpac.jpg

So yes, I am very pleased with the lens – it is very sharp at 55mm certainly and the OIS is brilliant.

I would like to try some macro photography but without the outlay of a dedicated lens.

I am torn between extension tubes, extension tubes with AF and a Raynox DCR 250.

If I go with extension tubes would focus peaking on non AF tubes be quicker than AF on AF tubes for things like garden bugs/flies etc

On the rare occasions where I do any real macro stuff, I always use MF rather than AF anyway and tend to rock gently to get the point I want in focus in focus (this is on the Nikon kit rather than the Fuji.) On the Fuji, I would think that focus peaking would be a great aid in the discipline/genre.

I would like to try some macro photography but without the outlay of a dedicated lens.

I am torn between extension tubes, extension tubes with AF and a Raynox DCR 250.

If I go with extension tubes would focus peaking on non AF tubes be quicker than AF on AF tubes for things like garden bugs/flies etc

I fancied a go at this but also without all the expense. Remember Wingtsun on here? He pointed me at an old manual Vivitar lens for £100. Nikon fit plus a £10 adapter. Manual focus but focus peaking helps a lot. Works well.
This is my first shot with it taken in natural light.
FXT11635 by Frank Yates2010, on Flickr

Trouble is I don't seem to have the patience for the macro game. Plus I knackered my knee a couple of months ago which has been limiting me quite severely so I'm not sure that I'll be doing much more with it. Want a loan to try it out?

I fancied a go at this but also without all the expense. Remember Wingtsun on here? He pointed me at an old manual Vivitar lens for £100. Nikon fit plus a £10 adapter. Manual focus but focus peaking helps a lot. Works well.
This is my first shot with it taken in natural light.
FXT11635 by Frank Yates2010, on Flickr

Trouble is I don't seem to have the patience for the macro game. Plus I knackered my knee a couple of months ago which has been limiting me quite severely so I'm not sure that I'll be doing much more with it. Want a loan to try it out?

Hi Frank yeah I remember admiring Wingtsuns images and fancying trying it out.
I dont really want to spend money on another lens if i can help it but if you are happy to loan yours out for a try,if the bug bites (excuse the pun)then a purchase may happen.

How do you want to go about the loan if you a truly sure you are ok with it?

Hi Frank yeah I remember admiring Wingtsuns images and fancying trying it out.
I dont really want to spend money on another lens if i can help it but if you are happy to loan yours out for a try,if the bug bites (excuse the pun)then a purchase may happen.

How do you want to go about the loan if you a truly sure you are ok with it?
Well I trust you...I think.
Even if you do a runner you'll only have a comparatively inexpensive lens and I'll have learned a lesson.
Drop me your address and I'll try and get it posted this afternoon.

Back